Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #4,306 of 9,894
The right shirt for the upcoming vacation, will know you by this 😀

Drink your champagne as long as there is time, but just not after the durian. By the way, I arrive a little after you, leave some delicious fruit.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #4,307 of 9,894
And this.... :relaxed:

IMG_6914.jpg

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #4,308 of 9,894
The right shirt for the upcoming vacation, will know you by this 😀

Drink your champagne as long as there is time, but just not after the durian. By the way, I arrive a little after you, leave some delicious fruit.

Thanks. For the next few weeks, my music will come from Sony WF-1000XM3 with iPhone. :)

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #4,309 of 9,894
Thought I post here about my Ultimate that is for sale.

As some of you guys know, I have recently purchased Matt’s personal wooden Ultimate.

Thus I be selling my Silver Ultimate which has the blue Alps pot upgrade.

Price of the amp is $1450 plus $50 Blue Alps upgrade.

I am selling my amp for $1300 with a big Tube package.

So overall about $300+ off saving for basically a just burnt in Ultimate.

Power tubes
Rca 6y6ga
GE 6Y6
Rca 6w6gt
Foton 6f6m

Driver Tubes
Rca 12at7
Rca 12av7
Phillip’s Jan 12at7
National 12ax7

Rectifier tube.
Rca 6bw4

Also included is 6sn7 to 12au7 adapter so you can use 6sn7 or 6sl7.

Prefer local pickup (Melb CBD or Keilor) or can ship within Australia for about $50 insured.

Any questions please feel free to pm me.

Attachments

• Resized_20230723_115139.jpeg
    Resized_20230723_115139.jpeg
    590.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230723_114912.jpeg
    Resized_20230723_114912.jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230723_115443.jpeg
    Resized_20230723_115443.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #4,310 of 9,894
@David A Silva

Okay, I will try again today with the Russian cap and the Vc and switch to the Mundorf.
And leave a little impression that might help them.

@UntilThen
I had no doubts either.
The drive alone for this is fantastic.
With the Atrium I'm under 9 o'clock with the poti,with the Vc it's a bit more.
I found the Mundorf to fit very well, I still have to listen to the Russian.
I am happy for you that you are going on holiday and that the Super Ultimatt will be ready for you when you return.
I'm looking forward to the Milfex.

@Nick Ryan

Actually everything except classical music, I can't do anything with that.
At the moment it's soul,r&b,a bit of funk.
Alica Keys,Keshia Cole,Tamia,Good songs by Whithney housten and Toni Braxton,Dire Straites.
Byonce has also put out great songs.
Christina Aquliera too.

Live recordings are also great to listen to in the Ultimate.

I will do two more tests with the Ultimate.
Connect a dac of lesser quality while it is in burn in.
To give the Gustard R26 a bit of a break.

I also want to connect my speakers to the Ultimate.
I also bought the first pair of El34 yesterday.
Found some in excellent condition and price where they are already played in.
The only thing I will say is that they are not Nos.
I have to wait until the seller comes back from holiday next week, then he will send them to me.
Then come Rca 5692 tubes.

After that I will buy a better XLR cable for the Ultimate.
It's important for this amplifier that you don't use a bad cable.
The rest will come little by little.
I still have enough tubes here to test for the next months.

The Gec Kt66 if you can find any are almost a must have for the Ultimate.
Plan to get 2 more sets of Kt tubes but from the new production.

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #4,311 of 9,894
Thought I post here about my Ultimate that is for sale.

This is a bargain for anyone wanting a Mini Silver Ultimate. Personally tested by me and quiet as the night. With all those tubes, for a discounted price, burned in, no waiting period for an Ultimate, what more can you ask for?

Peter, you can also ask Eric and see if any of his potential clients might want a discounted Mini Ultimate in as new condition.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #4,313 of 9,894
I am happy for you that you are going on holiday and that the Super Ultimatt will be ready for you when you return.
I'm looking forward to the Milfex.

When I return, Zachi's amp will be waiting for me and it will be the first Ultimate with Miflex. I expect my Ultimate to be ready as well.

With Ultimate, it's easy to open up your wallet and go for the good tubes. Every good tubes that I bought are an eye and ear opener. I've not heard anything so beautiful as the first listen of ECC31, ECC35, ECC34 and GEC L63. The rabbit ears are just as good. These tubes doesn't diminished the noval tubes such as GEC A2900, Raytheon 5751 Windmill, Voskhod 6N23P, Philips E80CC SQ, Hytron 7A4, Mullard 6201 PQ, Brimar CV455 Footscray, Telefunken ECC801S. It's mind boggling how many good combinations there are. I did a lightning tube roll when I was testing all the Ultimates, just to see if they play well in the amp. When I get my own amp, that is when I take my time to sample each and every tubes combination.

Jul 23, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #4,315 of 9,894
The Ultimate is amazing, I'm right there with you.
Even though I'm still at the beginning of the tube roll.
Started taking their recommendations after the down payment to Eric.
I can't say I have any regrets at this point.

The Gec Kt66 and Footscray are a keeper of the light.
Even with both caps.
I let the Vc on and the Russian caps play in a bit overnight.
I can't really say anything bad about them, they work very well straight away.

When I think about last night, I share your opinion of both caps Mundorf Sgo/Russian caps.
The Vc also delivers well with the Russian caps for now, but the Mundorf can go a bit further.
What I hear is that the Russian is more emotional in the vocals on the Vc, more feeling, more moist eyes moment.
With the Mundorf, the Vc reveals the music without being analytical, remains absolutely empathetic and retains its character.
The Vc also fits very well with warmer tubes because it is a bit more neutral and the combo is very good.

It never gets boring with the Dualcap.
I think it would be good not only for Zmf headphones.The balance is very good between something where you sit back and enjoy and something where you give them an Ah moment. When you have days where you've had enough or need something different, switch it on and sit back and let the rest sing.

The doubts about Russian cap or Mundorf, there are none.
If you can't decide, go for the Dualcap and the rest is history.
When you have heard it after receiving the Ultimate, you will find out that
And you'll be grinning because there's nothing out there that gives you that kind of flexibility.
You won't be scouring the internet for something else in the way of amplification.

What I do know is that there will be more tubes and more headphones, but no more amplifier.
Except maybe a Super Ultimate who knows.
I love this amp, yesterday was the day it touched my heart after a stressful week.

If I let my emotions speak about the Ultimate:

I've never had an amplifier in my hands that fit so well right away and reproduced the mood so well.
There are parts in certain songs where your eyes get slightly moist.
Because you are so moved by the emotions of the singers.
The Ultimate is truly a masterpiece, Eric should be so proud of himself.
It was the best buy I could have made and I won't give it away for any money in the world and will cherish it and let it sing as much as it can.

Special thanks at this point go especially to Eric. Also to Matt who has put so much hard work, sweat and heart and soul into making this happen.
That some may enjoy a masterpiece.
Many thanks to both of you. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #4,317 of 9,894
Good luck. Why you sell all those tubes since you bought another ultimate and they are compatible?

The answer is simple. When you have sampled the best, there is no going back to the 'average'. Life is too short for that. :)

What I do know is that there will be more tubes and more headphones, but no more amplifier.
Except maybe a Super Ultimate who knows.
I love this amp, yesterday was the day it touched my heart after a stressful week.

That is true of Ultimate. There will be no more amplifier except for an upgraded Super Ultimate. When I tested Bryant's Ultimate, that is when love turn to lust. :dt880smile: There were many moments of 'what the....'

Matt got me into Tube buying spree.

Spent about 2k on tubes, such as KT66, El34s, ECC35, GEC 2900 etc......

Don't blame me. It's the best thing that can happen to anyone. What you have there are the cream of the crop that any tube hoarder can be proud of.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #4,318 of 9,894
If I let my emotions speak about the Ultimate:

I've never had an amplifier in my hands that fit so well right away and reproduced the mood so well.
There are parts in certain songs where your eyes get slightly moist.
Because you are so moved by the emotions of the singers.
The Ultimate is truly a masterpiece, Eric should be so proud of himself.
It was the best buy I could have made and I won't give it away for any money in the world and will cherish it and let it sing as much as it can.

Special thanks at this point go especially to Eric. Also to Matt who has put so much hard work, sweat and heart and soul into making this happen.
That some may enjoy a masterpiece.
Many thanks to both of you. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

It gives me great pleasure knowing that you love Ultimate as much as I do. Ultimate will be for a niche market. There are more Ultimate built in 2 months than there are Odyssey built in 2 years.

Eric will carry on doing what he loves doing until the day comes when he retires for good. I hope he takes a holiday after Christmas because if it has been tiring for me, it is more tiring for him.

It is good to get wholehearted appreciation from clients but Ultimate is not the only amp where Eric gets praises for. He gets praise more for his speaker tube amps. Destiny the 300b amp has been with me for 2 years already and there has not been a single problem. A funny thing happen the other day. I open up Destiny's chassis and I was wondering where the coupling capacitors are. Then I realised it has interstage transformers instead of caps.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #4,319 of 9,894
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #4,320 of 9,894
Hehe.

Matt got me into Tube buying spree.

Spent about 2k on tubes, such as KT66, El34s, ECC35, GEC 2900 etc......

Got too many tubes.
… so get more amps … 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back