Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 22, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #4,291 of 9,894
Although being ‘built into the Signature version’, I cannot tell what part of sonic improvement / stabilisation from burn-in etc is due solely to the capacitors. There are also the point to point wiring, the SR Purple fuse, the power cord etc to consider … 🤷🏻‍♂️
Okay, that was right again, I have to agree with you.
I hadn't thought about that.

Day 3 with the Ultigreg has started since he's been with me.
Slowly I can say something about the sound.
I will also be honest and open.
The whole week has been a bit stressful with only as much sleep as you need to be fit.
The other thing is the head has been a bit elsewhere too.
Even though I worked today and then rested I am fit.

As you read the unpacking experience was a huge wow.
Currently the Ultigreg has run 63 hours and the tubes 23 hours.
I used Ez 80 Bel,KT66 Gec,Brimar Footscray 12AT7.
Switched to the Mundorf capacitor.

My first 2 days with it were good but not yet to the point where you could say wow.
It still sounded a bit rough and sometimes raw as well as a bit listener tired to me.
That was my impression, such things are often common with new devices, so one should usually be lenient for the first 50 hours and not jump to conclusions.

This afternoon I sit in front of it to hear what it does and what can I say?
The potentiometer is set to 8 o'clock with Atrium headphones, loud enough.
And I get a real wow moment here that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and want to listen in.
The whole thing is very moving, you can really feel yourself in the music.
Piano strokes, guitar strokes, the triangle that comes to the fore with a good feeling in the composition.
The vocals are coming slowly and are getting better, even if they are still a bit unclean at times.
But the feeling is there, timing, separation, pauses, it still needs a bit and that will surely get better.
The rest of the mood, rhythm, stage presentation, staggering is no longer so hard, rough and edgy.
The listener's mouth is also blown away, I don't notice anything, even after 30-45 minutes.
The only thing is that the treble range still hisses a bit, especially in the upper frequency range.
I had this with the standard Mundorf caps in the Euforia and found it very annoying.
It was gone when the full Vcap mod was in and you could only enjoy it.
As this is Mundorf's top product, I expect it to go away once it has settled in.
Bass is very well presented I like it, and fits in very well.
The midrange is well dosed, not too much not too little.

In general, I enjoy it without necessarily wanting to analyse it.
It's mostly moments like oh wow, I haven't perceived it like this before.
But it still needs time for everything to settle.
Matt didn't exaggerate with what he said - the UltimatE deserves its name.
He has a very fine ear where I can confirm.
Why?
I listened to the Macintosh mha 200 twice in the shop.
Both times it was a demonstration unit, one connected to a Dac that was very good and the other not so good.
Mcintosh is a big name indeed but the Mha 200 doesn't compete with the Ultimate, not even with the Feliks Euforia. It's high in price and well below in sound.

What else can I say?
The Ultigreg is awesome, I'm starting to love it, all of Eric's work is great.
The poti has a lot of feel, it doesn't take much power to move it.
The amp responds very well to it.
The only thing that heats up are the tubes.
The transformers stay cool and it stays absolutely silent when it is switched on.
It's worth the money, I don't regret buying it, not for a second.

It took me more than an hour to summarise this text.
Because the music kept pulling me back in and making me sit back to listen.

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #4,292 of 9,894
Glad you've some time to spend with Ultimate and are loving it. The amp responds very well with good tubes. I was very relaxed when I was auditioning Ultimate. I wasn't hassled with work. If I had audition Ultimate 6 months ago, it would have been very different because I was very busy then.

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #4,293 of 9,894
Yes, that's right, in the morning I think about tonight and then the day was not as I had hoped or thought.

I forgot to mention that the Ultimate reacts to tubes, it's true.
I changed the 6bw4 for Ez80 and Brimar Yellow T for Footscray 2 days ago and it was immediately noticeable.

Monday I get a visit from a forum friend.
He will listen to the Ultimate.
I'm a bit annoyed that the Ultimate doesn't have more hours.
He's up against the Cayin ha 3A he has at home.
Who knows maybe we will get another Ultimate owner.
He also has most of the tubes in stock if it convinces him.
We both come from Euforia and maybe you know him too.

I'm supposed to be cleaning up a bit and I'm tied to a chair, hehe.

Jul 22, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #4,294 of 9,894
Brimar cv455 footscray and GEC KT66 is a good enough combination to evaluate Ultimate. I'm using headphones that are more neutral leaning than the Atrium that you're using. It's all personal preference but I can tell you prefer a warmer sound signature.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4,295 of 9,894
I may have found the reason why there is a slight hiss in the high frequency range.
I connected the Audioquest Golden Gate to the Rca connector of the Ultimate.
The Ultigreg was connected to the Dac all the time with a standard Cordial XLR cable, so not the best cable.

And the difference is clear, the Audioquest really lights up the fireworks and there is no more hiss.
Also the space, separation, details, vocals are a good deal more in the right place compared to the standard Cordial cable.
Much more life in the music and richer.
This gives the Ultigreg a completely different meaning.
Another 2 steps up and better without anything annoying.

I think I will get the Golden Gate as XLR version.
And one more thing when you switch from Rca to XLR, smooth as butter, no popping or cracking, absolute silence.
It wasn't the Mundorf capacitor, I was wrong and I have to take back what I said about it, sorry for that.
It was a cable problem that came from me.
So there are no diseases on the amplifier, everything is fine.

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #4,296 of 9,894
I just sent Eric the version I wanted, I hope I did everything right, in the end Eric can, put simply, build for me what he enjoys, the artist decides, let's see what I get... Admittedly, I set a small framework, but I am flexible, especially with regard to technical details.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #4,297 of 9,894
Brimar cv455 footscray and GEC KT66 is a good enough combination to evaluate Ultimate. I'm using headphones that are more neutral leaning than the Atrium that you're using. It's all personal preference but I can tell you prefer a warmer sound signature.
Yes, you're right, I prefer it a little warmer than others.
I just borrowed the Zmf verite Closed until my boyfriend will take it back on Monday.
He will also bring the Caldera he said.absolute Zmf test on the Ultimate, :).

Left the tubes as they are.
I left the audioquest cable connected to the Ultimate via Rca and Dac.since then no more problems.since 2 hours I listen and relax totally.
And the Zmf Verite closed is a masterpiece on the Ultimate.
The headphones live up to their name, I like them better than the Euforia.

Jocelyn Brown - Somebody else Guy,you don't know whether to go with the pain in the voice or the groove.

I'm sure you'd like that one.
The Zmf's are really very good with this amp for me.
What hasn't been tried yet is the Auteur and Lcd 2 C.

@albertmuc

Congrats on the Ultibert, hope you can sleep a little easier now. :sweat_smile: :ksc75smile::sweat_smile::ksc75smile:

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #4,298 of 9,894
Yes, you're right, I prefer it a little warmer than others.
I just borrowed the Zmf verite Closed until my boyfriend will take it back on Monday.
He will also bring the Caldera he said.absolute Zmf test on the Ultimate, :).

Left the tubes as they are.
I left the audioquest cable connected to the Ultimate via Rca and Dac.since then no more problems.since 2 hours I listen and relax totally.
And the Zmf Verite closed is a masterpiece on the Ultimate.
The headphones live up to their name, I like them better than the Euforia.

Jocelyn Brown - Somebody else Guy,you don't know whether to go with the pain in the voice or the groove.

I'm sure you'd like that one.
The Zmf's are really very good with this amp for me.
What hasn't been tried yet is the Auteur and Lcd 2 C.

@albertmuc

Congrats on the Ultibert, hope you can sleep a little easier now. :sweat_smile: :ksc75smile::sweat_smile::ksc75smile:
Thanks for the report, I have a Verite Closed and am very much looking forward to the Ultimate!

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #4,300 of 9,894
You will love it.
Did you choose the Mundorf SGO or the Russian one ?
I just activated the Russian one and it will run overnight because it doesn't have many hours on it yet.
Then I'll listen to it with the VC after I get up. :v: :v: :v: :v:
I am not yet in the parts stage, but I was planning on a stock Ultimate - Russian caps.

Jul 22, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #4,301 of 9,894
It ain't call Ultimate for nothing. :)

What did I tell you? :dt880smile:

Keep up the good work @Deleeh. I was absolutely certain that ZMF headphones will work well with Ultimate after trying Nick's Aeolous on it.

3 more days before I fly out and it's good to see this thread alive and well. Enjoy !

p/s - the russian caps sounded more organic to my ears whilst the Mundorf caps is more revealing. Mundorf is leaner whilst Russian has more bloom. They are a good contrast to one another. You will love both. I will have the pleasure of having Mundorf and Miflex on mine.

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #4,302 of 9,894
Yes, that's right, in the morning I think about tonight and then the day was not as I had hoped or thought.

I forgot to mention that the Ultimate reacts to tubes, it's true.
I changed the 6bw4 for Ez80 and Brimar Yellow T for Footscray 2 days ago and it was immediately noticeable.

Monday I get a visit from a forum friend.
He will listen to the Ultimate.
I'm a bit annoyed that the Ultimate doesn't have more hours.
He's up against the Cayin ha 3A he has at home.
Who knows maybe we will get another Ultimate owner.
He also has most of the tubes in stock if it convinces him.
We both come from Euforia and maybe you know him too.

I'm supposed to be cleaning up a bit and I'm tied to a chair, hehe.
Whilst you are tied to a chair :) can you tell us what music you are listening to please?

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #4,303 of 9,894
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #4,305 of 9,894
IMG_6913.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back