Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 21, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #4,276 of 9,894
I just want to take a minute to talk about Mundorf MCap Supreme Silver Gold Oil caps. This coupling caps is used in my Ultrasonic Studio Odyssey as well as a few Ultimates. It takes time for this cap to stabilised. Once it's burned in, the tone is beautiful. Except by then, your brain has also been burned in with the amp and tubes combination.

Jul 21, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #4,277 of 9,894
My Super SilkE UltimatE is on it's way. :airplane: I'm curious to see the flight pattern that will be taken! All of my UPS packages are held at a UPS Store which is ~1 mile away from where I live. That way I'm not sitting at home all day wondering when is the UPS delivery person going to show up?

Super SilkE UltimatE Shipping Progress.png

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #4,278 of 9,894
Sure if you insist. :) Darkvoice has just sign me to promote their amp on a one million dollars contract.

IMG_6905.jpg
You simply must get a tall bottle Sylvania 7N7. The short bottles are mere minions. You'll hear a difference....even in the DV. :slight_smile:

7N7 Lansdale 1.jpg

I was on a 7N7 quest a few years ago. Many entered, few were victorious.

7N7 Stash.jpg

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #4,279 of 9,894
Jul 21, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #4,280 of 9,894
Hello,

According to my information, the Mundorf MCap Supreme Silver Gold Oil Cap takes 3-400 hours to arrive, which is a long journey.
Similar to the Vcaps and probably also Milfex.

Just as a tip, if you have new tubes, take the opportunity to burn in the tubes for 100 hours and then return when the amplifier and the caps have reached the required running time.

My Ultigreg now has just under 60 hours on it and the sound is not bad for now.
For most people who don't play with these things much, it's probably not noticeable.
But for me personally it is a bit.
I can hear from memory that the Vcap is what I want.
But I will tell you that it has been a similar rollercoaster ride.
Especially with the Odam, the first 200 hours were up and down, but it also showed where it was going.

Overall, you really have to be patient.
The vcaps were never annoying at any time, I must say.
The Mundorf, on the other hand, and that's just a personal side note that doesn't have to concern you.
Is that it can be a bit listener-fatiguing.
I changed the pads on the Atrium and it became more pleasant.
Keep in mind that the rest of the content is also new, as are the tubes, so the final sound is not what you hear in the Ultimate.

Another tip for the burn in, don't get the idea of running the amp for 24 hours to speed up the process because of its excellent temperature characteristics.

For the capacitors it is better to let them run for 12 hours and then give them a break and again 12 hours and so on.
This gives the oil enough time to flow back.
This was a personal tip that Vcap gave me at the time.
You will notice that it gets better with time.
Especially calmer and smoother.

After receiving the amp and waiting a long time, the burn in is the last annoying thing until it is final.
That is the only thing I can say at the moment and tips I am happy to share with you.
So patience patience patience....

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #4,281 of 9,894
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #4,282 of 9,894
Hello,

According to my information, the Mundorf MCap Supreme Silver Gold Oil Cap takes 3-400 hours to arrive, which is a long journey.

Just as a tip, if you have new tubes, take the opportunity to burn in the tubes for 100 hours and then return when the amplifier and the caps have reached the required running time.

For most people who don't play with these things much, it's probably not noticeable.
Especially with the Odam, the first 200 hours were up and down, but it also showed where it was going.

The Mundorf, on the other hand, and that's just a personal side note that doesn't have to concern you.
Keep in mind that the rest of the content is also new, as are the tubes, so the final sound is not what you hear in the Ultimate.

Another tip for the burn in, don't get the idea of running the amp for 24 hours to speed up the process because of its excellent temperature characteristics.

For the capacitors it is better to let them run for 12 hours and then give them a break and again 12 hours and so on.

After receiving the amp and waiting a long time, the burn in is the last annoying thing until it is final.
That is the only thing I can say at the moment and tips I am happy to share with you.
Thanks for the info on caps 12/12 on/off, very good info.

Jul 22, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #4,283 of 9,894
Hello,

Also... don't forget to burn-in your brain using the same schedule... but less than 12 hours of continuous brain-burn if wine or whisky is involved. :joy:

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #4,288 of 9,894
@jonathan c

You have the Icon Audio Hp8.
You can actually say more about the Mundorf since it is also built into the Signature version.
And from the burn in, I think you should also know roughly when it opened in the Icon, I think.
Or am I mistaken?
Although being ‘built into the Signature version’, I cannot tell what part of sonic improvement / stabilisation from burn-in etc is due solely to the capacitors. There are also the point to point wiring, the SR Purple fuse, the power cord etc to consider … 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #4,289 of 9,894
Although being ‘built into the Signature version’, I cannot tell what part of sonic improvement / stabilisation from burn-in etc is due solely to the capacitors. There are also the point to point wiring, the SR Purple fuse, the power cord etc to consider … 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's exactly the point I am trying to make. By the time it's fully burned in, say in a month's time, it is a mashed potato. Everything contributes to the sonic improvement. Most importantly your brain gets adjusted to the new tone.

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #4,290 of 9,894
A classic example is my experience with Odyssey. After 2 years I love the tone but I can't attribute that to just the Mundorf SGO. It's everything. To this day, I haven't burn in every tube I bought for Odyssey. Some of them are just preserved and used sparingly, like the GEC KT88 and Mullard EL34 double D getters brown base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back