Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
May 28, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,366 of 9,894
There's no doubt that the Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base is much better than the GE 6y6g tubes. :) No contest. :) So much impact and slam. Great details and texture is first class.

Nick this pair is going to you.

IMG_6305.jpg

May 28, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,368 of 9,894
Never really understood the advantages of XLR.
Personally, I don't see much use in it.
That's why I've kept the equipment of my wooden UltimatE to a minimum.
One connection, one output, done.

I have searched out my entire collection here where the UltimatE is used when it is available.
I had to tidy up a bit to create some space.

Above the rectifier tubes
6bw4 Dumont,and Bel Ez80 another Ez80 from Valvo is ordered.

Below the 12AT7
Brimar Yellow T
Brimar Footscray
Sylvania Jhs
6201 Valvo

IMG_0901.jpeg

My 3 6v6 Couples
Westinghouse,RFT,and Sylvania Vt107A

On the left, my first 6Y6s, which are just entering the Euforia.
Nothing to complain about so far.
IMG_0899.jpeg

My 6SN7 collection in pairs and also double.
Left above
Linlai Elite
Westinghouse Gtb
Hitachi Ultron
Fotons
Nec
Further up the Brimar Gty where very hard to find and also expensive.

IMG_0900.jpeg

The pictures in the dark of Nick's amplifier are great, nice glow of the tubes.
Very nice photo.👍
I'm really curious how his is with the Mundorf capacitors.
Appropo, I think this Alps poti is also built into the Euforia and it's mega good for dosing.
It's definitely worth the extra cost.

May 28, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,369 of 9,894
That's why I've kept the equipment of my wooden UltimatE to a minimum.
One connection, one output, done.

If you use Yggdrasil or a balanced dac or source then you will know the advantages of xlr balance. You will hear it and it's not subtle !

May 28, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,372 of 9,894
If you use Yggdrasil or a balanced dac or source then you will know the advantages of xlr balance. You will hear it and it's not subtle !
Hmm yes,
I only have Xlr and Rca on the Gustard R26.
I have connected Rca to the Euforia.
I actually plan to use UltimatE via XLR with a cable from XLR to RCA.

Maybe I should talk to Eric again about this topic.
I don't know if it makes sense to feed the Rca input of the Ultimate with 4 volts instead of 2 volts.
Or maybe to go to XLR after all.
However, I know he is very busy at the moment and has probably already drawn up the construction plan.
I don't want to make any last-minute changes at the last minute.

The tube collection complements the Ultimate very well, so I'm glad about that.

By the way, the 6y6 are excellent in the Euforia and currently run with the Linlai's and get full points from me.

May 28, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,373 of 9,894
I only have Xlr and Rca on the Gustard R26.

What are you waiting for then? :)

Or maybe to go to XLR after all.

How many times do I have to say yes? If you have a balance dac, go XLR.

However, I know he is very busy at the moment and has probably already drawn up the construction plan.

Trust me, you can change your plans. I added xlr yesterday and my Ultimate is on the bench. :k701smile: I redraw the plans ! Hasta la vista baby.

By the way, the 6y6 are excellent in the Euforia and currently run with the Linlai's and get full points from me.

Yes that combination will sound very good on Ultimate despite me praising EL34 and KT88. 6y6 is the next best thing since ham and cheese.... and a coffee.

May 28, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,374 of 9,894
What are you waiting for then? :)

How many times do I have to say yes? If you have a balance dac, go XLR.

Trust me, you can change your plans. I added xlr yesterday and my Ultimate is on the bench. :k701smile: I redraw the plans ! Hasta la vista baby.

Yes that combination will sound very good on Ultimate despite me praising EL34 and KT88. 6y6 is the next best thing since ham and cheese.... and a coffee.
Well, I'll write to him tomorrow and ask him if it's still possible, because it's 10.30 pm here in Germany.
I still have time tomorrow because it's a public holiday.

Matt, you're killing me, but I think this will be the last final touch. :ksc75smile:
Better now than later regretting not having listened to it.

The 6y6 aren't even tuned in and are already making alarm on the Euforia with the atrium.
They have a certain sweetness to their sound - it's amazing how good it is.
It will be even more goddess-like in the end with the 6sn7 or 12 At7 on the Ultimate.

May 28, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #1,375 of 9,894
Better now than later regretting not having listened to it.

That's correct. Look at Bcowen. If he had listen to me, he would have become Prime Minister but he's driving a gold cart now instead. Instead of taking the xlr route, he took the rca route. Sigh.

istockphoto-649236630-612x612.jpg

May 28, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,376 of 9,894
That's correct. Look at Bcowen. If he had listen to me, he would have become Prime Minister but he's driving a gold cart now instead. Instead of taking the xlr route, he took the rca route. Sigh.

istockphoto-649236630-612x612.jpg
As you have already seen, I have already listened to you,
More than once, :gs1000smile::innocent: in fact, so I'll take XLR after all if Eric agrees and it doesn't cause any problems.
Where I'm unsure now is whether I'll stick with 6.3 for the output or add XLR.

May 28, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,377 of 9,894
There's no doubt that the Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base is much better than the GE 6y6g tubes. :) No contest. :) So much impact and slam. Great details and texture is first class.

Nick this pair is going to you.

IMG_6305.jpg
Thank you very much I really appreciate everything.

May 28, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,378 of 9,894
Nevertheless Nick's Ultimate did sound more open and also 7th row seat as compared to the silver Ultimate that has a more focussed sound with a more forward mid and it's a front row presentation.
it was strange and had to listen to amps multiple times to confirm but both had the same tonality. However, as for the soundstage, the bigger chassis seemed to have a little more open presentation... Not sure if the bigger chassis made a difference but they indeed have a difference in its soundstage..

I remember having to choose between different materials when I was into DAP and those materials of the DAP did make a difference in tonality... but in this case tonality was almost the same apart from the soundstage how it was presented.

Unfortunately for some sources, like DACs in particular, XLR does sound a little better... on my Aqua DAC, actually there are virtually no differences between XLR and RCA but on some like Schiit Yggdrasil or Denafrips Terminator, XLR tends to sound better with much wider soundstage..... :frowning2:

Unfortunately, this is something where I refuse to pay such a price.
Unless there is no other way.

I know exactly what you mean... I am very reluctant in getting these nice NOS tube... but whenever I hear those at Matt's place, it just sounds so much nicer... Once we compared PSVane EL34PH (Psvane's Phillips EL34 replica) with real Philips Miniwatt EL34 at Matt's place... there was an immediate sound difference between the 2 tubes..

May 28, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,379 of 9,894
Where I'm unsure now is whether I'll stick with 6.3 for the output or add XLR.

Have both 6.3 and xlr for output. Doesn't cost that much more to add xlr output and it's a big convenience if your headphone cables are all terminated in xlr like mine are except for the Grados.

May 28, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,380 of 9,894
I know exactly what you mean... I am very reluctant in getting these nice NOS tube... but whenever I hear those at Matt's place, it just sounds so much nicer... Once we compared PSVane EL34PH (Psvane's Phillips EL34 replica) with real Philips Miniwatt EL34 at Matt's place... there was an immediate sound difference between the 2 tubes..

The Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base are rather special. That's why they are crazy prices now.

I also like these Tung Sol 6550 1960s very much. Bass is so good. With these tubes, Ultimate is up another level or 2.

IMG_6314.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back