Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
May 28, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #1,351 of 9,894
Using Philips E80CC SQ and GEC KT66 now. The KT66 cost almost half of the amp.

This is very noice. :)

IMG_6303.jpg

May 28, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #1,352 of 9,894
@xtiva have come and had a listen. He will post impressions later.

I did realised that I wasn't comparing apples with apples. I had xlr from Yggdrasil into Nick's amp but rca into the silver Ultimate. That would be the difference in the sound I heard.

Nevertheless Nick's Ultimate did sound more open and also 7th row seat as compared to the silver Ultimate that has a more focussed sound with a more forward mid and it's a front row presentation.

It's rather strange that different chassis has a slightly tonal presentation. The wooden chassis will likewise have it's own flavour. The Ultimate tone is still there but there is a slight variation.

May 28, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #1,354 of 9,894
I'm checking with him on these tubes now.

Sure why not. I just didn't want to burn a hole in your pocket with NOS tubes for these but you could always try new production tubes first. They are not the same though.

6SL7 aren't that expensive and you can certainly get some. Even the good ones.
Thanks for clearing it with Eric, very nice of you.
And good to know for the back of my head.
Might be a good addition if the gain is quite high to compensate with one of these tubes,who knows.
Have in fact found 2 manufacturers for the Kt and EL34 tubes who have currently made the new production.
I looked for a Gec Kt 66 but it was almost unaffordable.

Nick's amp looks really nice and classy.
Big wow for the true symmetrical XLR connection.

XLR does indeed sound a bit smoother and softer in general I have noticed myself when I connect the Euforia with a cable Xlr to Rca.
However, one must bear in mind that this method can lead to clipping.
Because the voltage output is just under 4 volts instead of 2 volts.
This can be remedied if you don't overdo it with the volume.

The other thing I would like to add is that the Mundorf capacitors take a good 20 hours to arrive, I have read.
Unless Eric has warmed them up beforehand, you should wait at least 20 hours before committing.
I also think that the rest of the component amplifiers typically take a little time to fully get where they need to be.
Usually it is 50-100h burn in.

However, the description of what you have found is amazing for the first few hours and really reassuring for those who have ordered the Ultimate.

The location of the headphone jack is also very well chosen being in the front.
That's something I might have to discuss with Eric if he hasn't started yet.
Whether it would be feasible to do that as well.

I wish Nick a lot of fun with his new toy and praise for his choice.
The equipment is also very lavish and generously chosen and no expense has been spared in fully equipping the UltimatE.
And Eric has done a really great job, it looks really great, and the layout is really nice to look at.
I really like it.

May 28, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #1,355 of 9,894
The other thing I would like to add is that the Mundorf capacitors take a good 20 hours to arrive, I have read.
Unless Eric has warmed them up beforehand, you should wait at least 20 hours before committing.
I also think that the rest of the component amplifiers typically take a little time to fully get where they need to be.
Absolutely agree with this. I have yet to hear a new component that didn't improve with some play time. I usually don't attempt a critical assessment until at least the 50 hour mark, not that I don't listen to it before then, just that I don't try and arrive at a conclusion before then. I also agree that if the Ultimate sounds awesome now, it will just sound awesome-r after it breaks in some. :laughing:

May 28, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #1,356 of 9,894
Nick's amp looks really nice and classy.
Big wow for the true symmetrical XLR connection.

It's a known fact the xlr output of Yggdrasil is better than the rca output. Knowing that and hearing it for myself here, I am definitely going for the xlr input in Ultimate. Another expense and I think it's the last.

That's true that the amp is not fully stabilized yet. Need burn in but I will give my impressions with whatever time I have because the amp is going to Nick very soon.

The location of the headphone jack is also very well chosen being in the front.
That's something I might have to discuss with Eric if he hasn't started yet.
Whether it would be feasible to do that as well.

Do not ask Eric to drill into the wood chassis and he wouldn't do it either. You can easily damage the nice wooden chassis. Even Tomas wouldn't do it for me and he had the proper bench drill.

And Eric has done a really great job, it looks really great, and the layout is really nice to look at.

The golden Ultimate looks better in real life. I'm really impressed at the very tidy work. Nick will be very happy with this amp. Quiet, good looking, sounds good, it's got it all. Drives speakers pretty well. That is a real bonus. When I went to Eric's place he had the volume up playing through the speakers and it sounded very good.

May 28, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,357 of 9,894
All of the above is so really good to read, many thanks.everyone, looking forward to delivery day, pacing now like an expecting father. :)

May 28, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #1,358 of 9,894
May 28, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #1,360 of 9,894
That's how much it cost now. I paid $550 for a new pair 3 years ago.... from a 'friend'.

One tube alone $650.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313869718150?

A used pair $1086
https://reverb.com/au/item/67418662-marshall-kt66-gec-valves-tubes-nos-1960s-jtm?
Hmm yes.
Unfortunately, this is something where I refuse to pay such a price.
Unless there is no other way.
There are always dealers who offer such things at moderate prices.
But you need patience for it.
Kt and El34 definitely still have time.

I paid a bit more than 200€ for my Ibm 5998 pair.
Instead of the usual 3 times as much.

In Germany I found another site, or rather it is the dealer where I got the 12at7 Valvo.
On his site I found a 12At7 Siemens Ecc81 cv455, an EZ80 Valvo and a set of 6bw4 Sylvania for a ridiculous price of 72 au$.

I wasn't going to buy anything else until the amp arrived,damn.
But the offer was just too good.

May 28, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,361 of 9,894
Absolutely agree with this. I have yet to hear a new component that didn't improve with some play time. I usually don't attempt a critical assessment until at least the 50 hour mark, not that I don't listen to it before then, just that I don't try and arrive at a conclusion before then. I also agree that if the Ultimate sounds awesome now, it will just sound awesome-r after it breaks in some. :laughing:

Burn in will smoothen out the amp. Remove the grittiness and metallic tone. Soundstage won't change and imaging and details won't change. Some amps sound good right from power up. I have experience that through 13 tube amps.

May 28, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,362 of 9,894
Total silence from the golden Ultimate at 3:44am. Amazingly quiet amp and the tone is already beautiful. I like the volume knob. It's smooth and has weight. Unlike light weight plastic ones. There's a lot of play in the volume with Grado RS1X. You can adjust it incrementally. I don't know if this has the upgraded ALPS blue velvet but it feels good.

Huh Stairways To Heaven came on from Tidal and and it's amazing listening to it from RS1X and Ultimate.

May 28, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #1,363 of 9,894
XLR does indeed sound a bit smoother and softer in general I have noticed myself when I connect the Euforia with a cable Xlr to Rca.

Eric mention that xlr is beneficial only for running long xlr cables ie when your dac is a long way from your amp. I tend to agree with that except that in Yggdrasil the xlr output has stronger gain and sounds more dynamic and alive. You can clearly hear the difference when connecting from Yggdrasil using xlr and rca.

May 28, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,364 of 9,894
The golden Ultimate sound so good. I'll wondering why I didn't go with this after it's long gone. Instead I went with the more expensive wooden chassis. However I have to have an amp in wooden chassis. Never had it before so here's the chance. :) For pairing with Grados and ZMF headphones. Next year will be the year of ZMF headphones.

May 28, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,365 of 9,894
I wasn't going to buy anything else until the amp arrived,damn.
But the offer was just too good.

I bought most of my good tubes before Odyssey arrive. For Ultimate, I am spending only a little compared to Odyssey and it's good that I can use the same tubes for both amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back