ER4S or DBA-02
Oct 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Qonad

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for an analytical and neutral pair of earphones to complement my SM3. I owned the RE0 previously, didn't really like them as they were too "thin" sounding and had too little in the low end.

I understand the 2 phones i've listed wouldn't be much "thicker" than the RE0 but i would like to know how they compare to each other. i just ordered the HM-602 so driving the er4s wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 16
hi!!

Have you read the ljokel multi iem thread? He has written about the er4s and dba-02

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 16
dba-02.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't know about the ER4S... but if I am to guess according to the MC5's Etymotic signature, ER4S will be as thin as RE0... if not thinner. So, if you want something thicker, DBA-02, according to what I've read.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I don't know about the ER4S... but if I am to guess according to the MC5's Etymotic signature, ER4S will be as thin as RE0... if not thinner. So, if you want something thicker, DBA-02, according to what I've read.

agree

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 16
Oct 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 16
between the RE0 and ER4S, the ER4S is thinner. If you did not like the RE0, then you should stay away from the ER4S and go for the DBA's

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I do not know the sound of RE0 and DBA-02. However, ER4S is absolutely thin because of lack of bass. Well, nope, I would say not rich.

what?

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
lol head-fiers at it again. "I have not heard it but I think it will be....."

The only really "thin" and nasty etys are the er6 and er6i. Er4 is nothing like "thin". 

thank you

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
The only really "thin" and nasty etys are the er6 and er6i. Er4 is nothing like "thin". 

I think my words, "absolutely thin" and "lack of bass" were the wrong selection for describing ER4S. I wanted to emphasize the feeling compare to other IEMs I have listened. Among what I said above, "not rich" is the only correct word for ER4. No hard feeling for ER4 series. Actually, I like ER4 series quite much. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 16

umm no, the er6 is an excellent iem. It is probably the most naturally sounding in the ety lineup. I did hate the er6i. The only problem is that the er6 is hard to drive and does require an amp and perhaps some bass boost. The er6 does have a larger soundstage than the er4. The er4 is detailed, but unfortunately it does not sound very natural. It is too fast. The er6 seems to be a tad bit slower, but fast enough. I can hear depth and punch on the er6 that I cannot perceive with the er4.   

Quote:
lol head-fiers at it again. "I have not heard it but I think it will be....."

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 16
I own both.  Of the two, the ER4 P or S scale much better with amping.  So far in my listening (just a week or so with both together) the Ety is a tad more realistic, but much thinner or brighter.  The Fischer is not a real full bodied IEM either, but does have some amount of bass to it, and a slight warmth compared to the Ety.  I like both, and I'm having trouble deciding which to keep.  The Fischer has a much more comfortable cable and sounds great out of an iPhone.  The Ety is bulletproof, and sounds good with the P cable out of an iPhone, and brilliant with the S adapter out of my Headroom Ultra Desktop.  If you can't live with very tight, fast but light bass, pass on the Ety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back