ER4s: Hail Hail, is the King dead??
Dec 27, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The problem with the ER4S is that they absolute need amping out of most sources, and they are a treble focussed and lean which is a turn off for some...in the same price range the E4C's fit probably better in mainstream tastes with their more mid-centric sound, and are a much safer recommendation especially in regard to apparant durability and microphonics.

There's also one more extremely important consideration... comfort. They just don't hold up in this area compared to the Super.fi line, Shures, or the UM2. When they were the only viable option out there it was much easier to overlook this, but now that the playing field is more populated you're not finding as many people willing to suffer for quality (in a manner of speaking).

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #17 of 43
My girlfriend laughs at me because every so often, I'll put in the ER-4s and after about 5 or 10 seconds of listening when I hear a particularly fantastic sounding part of a song through them, I turn and say to her "these are the best earphones EVER!" I only get a chance to listen once a week or so, but that seems to make the experience that much sweeter each time.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #18 of 43
I washed and dried my Ety's. They still work. How's that for durable!

I have recently paired them with a CMOY. If you want to "recreate" your ER-4P/S get or make and amp.

Sam

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 43
Oddly enough, the ER4S sounds fine out of a Sony NW-E507 digital player with no amp needed. The volume needs to be nearly maxed out, but there's no distortion and the frequency response seems clean. Makes a good gym rig.

Regarding durability, I once forgot to take the ER4S out of a pocket before doing laundry. It survived the wash cycle without a hint of damage. I check pockets more carefully now before doing laundry
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sethsez
There's also one more extremely important consideration... comfort. They just don't hold up in this area compared to the Super.fi line, Shures, or the UM2. When they were the only viable option out there it was much easier to overlook this, but now that the playing field is more populated you're not finding as many people willing to suffer for quality (in a manner of speaking).

I find them comfortable....but not as comfortable as my ER-6i.

About their durability, I think they're actually quite durable. The cabling is actually quite similar to that of the UE10Pro. They can take quite a rough handling, but who would handle $250 worth of audio equipment roughly? Rough handling will only lead to a shorter lifespan. Oh well, I guess the durability may not be as good as it's competitors, but its build quality is at least as good.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
SOme say the highs are shrill, especially out of an iPod, but I have to disagree. How can you say they are shrill? The midrange is fluid and rich, the highs are detailed, and now the bass. Yes, they do lack in bass in comparison to the rest of the frequency range, but I strongly believe that a good source definitely helps.

Well, if they have a bad seal, they are shrill... but with the right seal, it's GREAT
smily_headphones1.gif

there's a guide to getting the right seal in my recent posts, be sure to check it

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Oddly enough, the ER4S sounds fine out of a Sony NW-E507 digital player with no amp needed. The volume needs to be nearly maxed out, but there's no distortion and the frequency response seems clean. Makes a good gym rig.

Regarding durability, I once forgot to take the ER4S out of a pocket before doing laundry. It survived the wash cycle without a hint of damage. I check pockets more carefully now before doing laundry
tongue.gif

If you are running ER4S without an amp there are missing some real detail and bass. I wouldn't advice people to do this one. But if it works for you hey great.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #23 of 43
I have not heard the ER4 but own and sold the ER6i. For me, it failed a basic fundamental requirement of a earphone; that is sounding balanced (Low bass, lopsided sound) and comfortable. (Doesn't work for me) It sounded boring to me as i rather enjoy music than analysize it.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #25 of 43
For me, comfort was a huge issue. After 15-20 minutes the Etys made my ears ache. No such thing with my E4Cs.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #26 of 43
I've enjoyed my ER4's tremendously for years. I have yet to look at another IEM despite the recent market explosion from other brands. The ER4's satisfy that much.

Just returned from a long weekend away, and listened to my portable DVD player during the 3.5 hour train ride home. The Ety's continue to be a godsend for plane/train travel. They will always be with me.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I think the ER-4P/S has DEFINITELY achieved legendary status. They were created in 1997 and it has taken 9 years until anything (save the custom UE10/7/5) actually came close to threatening its reign.

the earliest ER-4S reviews i've seen were from late 1993, so the reign of the ER-4S is even more impressive.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #28 of 43
I find the ER4 more comfortable than the E4c, and on par with the UM2. It's by far the easiest to insert/remove of the three (due to the straight design, E4c and UM2 are hooked), and the lack of a cord over the ear removes a ton of contact points with the skin, which results in higher comfort.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #29 of 43
Ety's are still the standard by which other IEM's are judged, and it does a couple of things with more verve than the rest. It's kind of like the Lotus Esprit sports car. If you are Mercedez SLR type of driver, Lotus is out of the question, but a Lotus devotee will always remain so...

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the earliest ER-4S reviews i've seen were from late 1993, so the reign of the ER-4S is even more impressive.

Actually, they were first introduced in 1991! Now THAT is impressive. 14 years down the line, they still remain competitive! No doubt about its legendary status!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back