ER4s: Hail Hail, is the King dead??
Dec 26, 2005 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

jeffnnj

100+ Head-Fier
When I first joined this site over a year ago people could not stop raving about the Ety E4s. Every single thread, almost without exception, raved about their clarity and how outstanding the sound was. Matter of fact I remember when anyone asked a forum their choice for the best IEM, the answer was the ER4s the vast majority of the time. iLounge, then called iPodlounge rated them a solid an A, calling them the best IEMs available with the exception to the UE10s. Needless to say, the honeymoon seems to be over. Repeatedly I see posts recommending such choices as the E4C (my personal favorite) the Super .fi or the UM2 over the once reveared ER4s. Why question is, what happened?? I am pretty certain that the ER4 line is the same as it was last year so I know that's not it. Are the other entries into the IEM market that much better?? Has the technology advanced and left the ER4s in the dust?? Or has everyone gotten used to their sound are are now craving something different??

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 43
I think the E4c is really a threat to ER4. It basically has most of its details, but added the bass impacts. The vocal is so darn sweet on E4c, and not to mention, most of the time Shure e4c is priced lower than ER4s.

Other things is that ER4 is kind of ugly, and I know a lot of iPod users WILL NOT couple that with their iPod because it does not look good. I am one such person. If they can improve the look of it, I pretty sure they will increase the sales by a lot.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
I think the E4c is really a threat to ER4. It basically has most of its details, but added the bass impacts. The vocal is so darn sweet on E4c, and not to mention, most of the time Shure e4c is priced lower than ER4s.

Other things is that ER4 is kind of ugly, and I know a lot of iPod users WILL NOT couple that with their iPod because it does not look good. I am one such person. If they can improve the look of it, I pretty sure they will increase the sales by a lot.

Yep, and a year ago there werent has many IEMS in that money range. Now there is UE super fi's, new Shure e4's. ect...

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 43
I think that the ER4's fragility and lack of style have contributed to the rise of other IEM's on this forum. I don't think price is an issue; I got my ER4P's for $190 and I see E4c's for $180, so that's a wash. Really, the E4c's are more sturdy and better looking.

You should also take into account flavor of the weekitus around here. The ER4's have been around forever, and constant change to the latest/greatest is the name of the game for many on this forum (after all, it's not much of a hobby if you buy one thing and never try anything else).

I can't comment on the E4c's sound, because I've never heard them. I will say that the ER4P's sound just like they did when everyone was raving about them
tongue.gif
. I think the ER4P blows away the Shure E2c and E3c, which it should for the money, but overall I think that IEM's get too much credit around here as hifi equipment; I think Koss KSC-75's sound way better than ER4P's, and that ER4P's only sound good compared to other IEMs.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnnj
Repeatedly I see posts recommending such choices as the E4C (my personal favorite) the Super .fi or the UM2 over the once reveared ER4s. Why question is, what happened?? I am pretty certain that the ER4 line is the same as it was last year so I know that's not it. Are the other entries into the IEM market that much better?? Has the technology advanced and left the ER4s in the dust?? Or has everyone gotten used to their sound are are now craving something different??

In my experience, the ER-4's just don't couple well with iPods (the treble, already tending toward the sibilant with the Ety's, can become unbearably shrill). This might be a factor. But overall, the ER-4's are now considered an "old design," and after many years there are now newer, usually two-driver designs that have come along and become known. I suppose the fact that the Ety's are kind of dorky-looking is a factor, as well, although I sure don't understand why people care so much about what their earphones LOOK like (is EVERYTHING a "fashion accessory" today? Why?)

Here's hoping that Etymotic, which I perceive to be an excellent company, will rise to the challenge and come up with something even better than the venerable ER-4 series.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 43
The ER4S are at the beating heart of my work rig (along with a three-channel Classic with the AD8620/10 opamps installed). I find their drop-dead gorgeous highs, their tuneful mids and more than adequate bass when inserted to the right depth to provide a mentally energizing and psyche-sustaining sonic beauty, and at the same time, the sound is not so impactful as to distract my attention from the work I'm trying to focus on. I've had them for about nine months now, and, on a daily basis, after a song that is particularly well-matched to my psyche-of-the-day has finished, I whisper to myself in a tone of hushed awe, "Did you HEAR that?" The ER4S may be living in what seems to be a form of exile these days relative to the splendor they enjoyed at the height of their rule, but rumors of the ER4S' untimely death seem to me to have been greatly exaggerated.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i think the ER-4S is better than any of the universal fit IEM's i've heard, which is everything that Shure makes, the UM2, and the Super-Fi Pro.

I don't like lack of bass ER-4's and prefer the UE super fi's. Even at the cost of some detail.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 43
Are the Shures really more durable, or do they just look more durable?
confused.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 43
It's kind of unfair to compare the sound of the ER-4P/S to dual driver/triple driver designs. A single driver IEM will NEVER deliver the same bass that a dual/triple driver IEM has. I was also deciding between the E4c, Super.fi 5Pro and the ER-4P a couple months ago and decided to go with the Etymotics. I came from ER-6i and I was curious as to how the ER-4P might sound. I was completely dumbfounded. At first, the differences were slight, but as I listened, I was unable to stomach the maturity, smoothness and clarity of sound that the ER-4P had over the ER-6i. They were just that good!

I think the ER-4P/S has DEFINITELY achieved legendary status. They were created in 1997 and it has taken 9 years until anything (save the custom UE10/7/5) actually came close to threatening its reign. That fact alone, left me in a shock and I knew I had to get a pair. The design might not be the newest and latest, but that certainly didn't prevent me from getting a pair.

I don't think they are overhyped at all, in fact, I was dying to try what might be the most succesful IEMs ever. Their sound signature is very good. SOme say the highs are shrill, especially out of an iPod, but I have to disagree. How can you say they are shrill? The midrange is fluid and rich, the highs are detailed, and now the bass. Yes, they do lack in bass in comparison to the rest of the frequency range, but I strongly believe that a good source definitely helps. Straight out of a 4G iPod, the bass is indeed amaemic. Once put through an amplifier (from line-out), the bass does come out. Having said that, I don't think the bass will be loud enough for those bassheads out there!
biggrin.gif

Although sales may have gone down since it's golden years, I believe that they will remain strong IEM contenders. I urge those who are in the market for an IEM to try a pair. You don't have to buy a pair, just try a pair and see what you think. I admit that their might be better options out there, but whatever happens, they will still remain to be one of the best IEM ever made and I think that the word "legendary" can be used to describe its existence.

Now...forget the ER4, I want a pair of UE10Pro's!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 43
I still prefer the ER4S to any non-custom IEM. The problem with the ER4S is that they absolute need amping out of most sources, and they are a treble focussed and lean which is a turn off for some...in the same price range the E4C's fit probably better in mainstream tastes with their more mid-centric sound, and are a much safer recommendation especially in regard to apparant durability and microphonics.

So I would say that the ER4S is not dethroned, it's just that there are other rulers trying to grab shares of the turf.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 43
I haven't heard any Etymotic earphones, but I really would love to. My first nice headphones were E2cs, so I'm hooked on Shure. I went through the E3s to my current E4s. I love these. They simply sound amazing.

What I want to hear, though (besides some ER4s), is the opinion of someone who has spent quality time with both IEMs. I haven't seen that yet.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I don't think they are overhyped at all, in fact, I was dying to try what might be the most succesful IEMs ever. Their sound signature is very good. SOme say the highs are shrill, especially out of an iPod, but I have to disagree. How can you say they are shrill? The midrange is fluid and rich, the highs are detailed, and now the bass. Yes, they do lack in bass in comparison to the rest of the frequency range, but I strongly believe that a good source definitely helps. Straight out of a 4G iPod, the bass is indeed amaemic. Once put through an amplifier (from line-out), the bass does come out. Having said that, I don't think the bass will be loud enough for those bassheads out there!
biggrin.gif

That's how my ER-6i's are. Weak, subtle bass out of the iPod, but paired with an amp like the Go-Vibe that I own, the bass definately emerges for an all-around great listening experience.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i think the ER-4S is better than any of the universal fit IEM's i've heard, which is everything that Shure makes, the UM2, and the Super-Fi Pro.

Art: Absolutely true.

SA5000 and Etymotic 4S comparison:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150051

However used with portables, and no external amp, the Etymotic does bring out the many problems in the source and its cheap internal amp. The Shures, which have treble roll off, masks these problems.

Used with a good source and external amp the Etymotic 4S is great. It really is fantastic with my BLAudio LP-1 battery powered amp (click on link in my car equipment below)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back