Equation RP-21 the right decision? input appreciated
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Alexmb

New Head-Fier
Recently sold Some Ultrasone pro 900s 
With the cash from that i would like to save the majority of that for school expenses atm but could really use some cans >150
Source: Ipod(no amp)
Must be closed(cant wake the kid sleeping in the dorm)
Music 
Rap/hiphop: Tech n9ne,Jay Z,Kanye,Wayne, Andre 300, 
Dub: Skrillex, Rusko, Flux pavilion, Doctor P
Electonic : mimosa, mt eden
Rock: Rarely stuff like Cage the elephant 
and country on occasion 

These are just a few off the top of the ahead and i love me some bass!
As of now leaning towards the Equation RP-21 i found them for 90$ on amazon with free shipping, before i make a final decision i would love some feedback 

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 4
There was a craze a while back for them, but I didn't like them one bit. Sounded like MDR-V6 without the nice range

I would say M50's, but then there are these

Check out the review in the forums that was posted today HERE

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 4
Ha! I was just going to link that. 
There are also a few Superlux models to check out at least.
The 662 ( 3 versions of them ) and 669 are closed.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546556/superlux-express-train-voted-best-budget-headphone-2011
BUT I can't recall Superlux performance with no amp there should be a post there somewhere or ask.  Thats something to definitely consider with your purchase, the easy to drive headphones. Don't want to be disappointed after all the research then find out when you actually have them they don't fit well out of the ipod due to that factor.

the ~$20 monoprice Kicker clones are hard to argue with for the price, especially with wanting to save for schooling.

both brands will save you some $

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
There was a craze a while back for them, but I didn't like them one bit. Sounded like MDR-V6 without the nice range

I would say M50's, but then there are these

Check out the review in the forums that was posted today HERE

Quote:
Ha! I was just going to link that. 
There are also a few Superlux models to check out at least.
The 662 ( 3 versions of them ) and 669 are closed.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546556/superlux-express-train-voted-best-budget-headphone-2011
BUT I can't recall Superlux performance with no amp there should be a post there somewhere or ask.  Thats something to definitely consider with your purchase, the easy to drive headphones. Don't want to be disappointed after all the research then find out when you actually have them they don't fit well out of the ipod due to that factor.

the ~$20 monoprice Kicker clones are hard to argue with for the price, especially with wanting to save for schooling.

both brands will save you some $

I will make sure to do some research on these before i make a final decision 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back