EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Sep 25, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #631 of 697
Just got my RP-21s today and must say I am very pleased with the sound quality out my laptop and ipod. Comfort as in issue though as I find the clamping a bit much. Ordered the Beyer vinyl pads a minute ago along with the beyer foam to see how I like that.

Will be using them mainly on over-land trains (3 hr round trip) to college a few days a week and for mixing and monitoring in different environments when monitoring speakers aren't suitable.

These I feel are a nice closed companion to my newly purchased HD595s and I look forward to getting to know both of them much better =)

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #632 of 697
Hey bassplayerj, if you want to experiment, try removing the foamies inside
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #635 of 697
Let's see - you can but dt880 earpads on them (which are circumaural).....um.....uh ........dang it - NO

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #636 of 697
The RP-21 and 22X are not portable but do have ear-cups that turn flat, like a Grado, and makes them easy to pack. The RP-15 is portable and will fold into a nice small package.

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #637 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
might be a dumb question but would you consider these portable?

They are portable if you have a good sized bag. I think they are adequately portable for people carrying them in bookbags, but with any other type of bag you might need to plan to make some room for them. Once you have the drivers turned sideways they take up less room than a textbook. They are reasonably sturdy as well so once they are in the right position they should not get damaged in your bag.

Right now they are my only true portable cans, but I am looking for something smaller with better or equal sound quality.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #638 of 697
i think they are portable enough, im like linus with my backpack, dont realy need a backpack but goes everywhere with me anyway so they just go in my backpack when not in use they are pretty good sound blockers too in my experience on the bus/metro trains
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #640 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I guess portable is in the eye of the beholder.
smily_headphones1.gif

"If you can fit a bowling ball in a backpack does that make it portable?"
-old Zen koan

thats hilarious BUT the rp21 doesnt weigh anywhere near 16 to 18 pounds making that statement dumb in the context of this discussion ....
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #641 of 697
Anyone found the stock pads better than the beyer pads? I'm receiving a replacement for my current pair of RP21s in the current weeks and i'm debating keeping the beyer pads.

For one, I found that the pads really didn't fit the Rp21 and while i got them one, there was gradual tearing at the base and now the pads are only on the phones thanks to divine intervention and some tape.

I don't have my stock pads with me so I can't just swap them out and see. Also, are there any other possible pads I can use since the dt770 ones fell apart so quickly/easily? Sucks to blow almost $30 on some pads only for them to be so flimsy.

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #642 of 697
I got my RP 21 yesterday from el_matt0 with crimson leather pads and different foams. I have no idea what the different foams are so I will probably post pics so you guys can help me out with that.

I love it so far. I have listened to London Calling, Abbey Road and 28 Weeks Later (Movie) so far and the cans exceeded my expectations in all three. These blow my PX100's and Marshmallows out of the water.

I love the leathers as well, although I have yet to try the regular pads.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #644 of 697
Far left looks like the Beyer foam, far right the KSC-75/PortaPro/SportaPro pad...As for the middle two, not sure...Perhaps a Sennheiser HD-25 foam on the bottom and the original RP-21 foam on top?

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #645 of 697
Is full compass the only place for Beyer vinyl pads? I'm having a hard time finding them anywhere else.

Heck, I couldn't even find them on FC's website. I just followed a link to them...
blink.gif

EDIT: A LITTLE more searching revealed these are available from Beyer directly for about $5 cheaper.

EDIT2: It's actually $3 more from Beyer, after shipping charges. Does anyone know if ordering from Beyer directly will result in faster shipping? FC says 1-2 weeks on the Beyer pads..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back