EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Oct 27, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #647 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody say how the RP-21 compare top the ATH-A500?
Differences?

I will be receiving my RP21's in a few days from a trade, but from what I have read, the RP21's are very close to the A700's, and sometimes were better. Of course this depends on one's personal taste and hearing, but from what I gather, the A500's and RP21's aren't too close.

If anyone has compared both, or owned both, please comment. This statement above is simply from what I have read.

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #648 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be receiving my RP21's in a few days from a trade, but from what I have read, the RP21's are very close to the A700's, and sometimes were better. Of course this depends on one's personal taste and hearing, but from what I gather, the A500's and RP21's aren't too close.

If anyone has compared both, or owned both, please comment. This statement above is simply from what I have read.

Thanks for the input NICK20. This brings me closer to the RP-21s!
I have some doubts around the comfort...but...I find Grado's comfortable so I assume I wouldn't have any issue.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #649 of 697
Quote:

Thanks for the input NICK20. This brings me closer to the RP-21s!
I have some doubts around the comfort...but...I find Grado's comfortable so I assume I wouldn't have any issue.

From what I understand if you put these around a ball, or your computer case, or something, you can "open" up the band and they become more comfortable from what I've read. What I'm saying is, if you can put them on something to extend the band, even your head (however this will take more time) this will improve the overall comfort.

Also, changing out the pads to Beyer, (I think) make the "clamp" you read about go away, due to the Beyer pads being thicker. Thus, the headphone doesn't clamp as hard onto your head. At least it makes sense, but I cannot tell you if this is the truth, because my pair is coming early next week.
600smile.gif

-Nick

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #651 of 697
Pulled the trigger on the RP-21, should have them in about a week.

Wanted a set of closed cans to complement my MS-1 and DR-150, this thread made me lean towards the RP-21.
Can't wait to hear how they compare to the other two!

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #652 of 697
Quote:

Pulled the trigger on the RP-21, should have them in about a week.

Wanted a set of closed cans to complement my MS-1 and DR-150, this thread made me lean towards the RP-21.
Can't wait to hear how they compare to the other two!

you wont regret it i had a pair of es7,s and i like the rp21,s better, better bass and seem a little warmer too..
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #653 of 697
Quote:

Does anyone know if ordering from Beyer directly will result in faster shipping? FC says 1-2 weeks on the Beyer pads..

I'm 2 days into the waiting game after ordering directly from Beyer. On their website, it states that they have up to 14 days to process your order by either shipping your order or sending you an email saying it's out of stock.

I ordered the leatherette (pleather/softskin) pads from this page, with a total cost of $28. I got to that page from a thread focusing on the leather earpads.

I'll try to remember to write a follow-up once I receive an update.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #654 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by anomalyconcept /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 2 days into the waiting game after ordering directly from Beyer. On their website, it states that they have up to 14 days to process your order by either shipping your order or sending you an email saying it's out of stock.

I ordered the leatherette (pleather/softskin) pads from this page, with a total cost of $28. I got to that page from a thread focusing on the leather earpads.

I'll try to remember to write a follow-up once I receive an update.

However there's no vinyl pads on the link you posted. Did they remove them? I remember they were $18 not long ago (a few weeks maybe).

Please do post pictures/update when you receive them.

Thanks,

-Nick
rs1smile.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #655 of 697
I thought the vinyl pads were the leatherette (fake leather) ones? Perhaps I was mistaken. The link I posted is actually for their aviation division, but I heard rumors from somewhere they would fit.

Evidently Beyer was really fast about shipping, and had actually processed my order the same day and the package was delivered on Friday or so. Unfortunately, they delivered to my home address, rather than the explicitly specified shipping address. As a result, the earliest I can try them out will be in a week and a half (Thanksgiving break).

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #656 of 697
From what I've gathered from other posts, the difference between the standard DT770 pads and the aviation version is only that the aviation pads lack the numerous perforation holes on their undersides, resulting in a boxier sound. This can be remedied with some careful poking with a soldering iron, however.

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #657 of 697
Had RP21 for a week now. So far, it isnt that impressive can. Clearly, its good for 100$ and it doesnt have much competition there, but it also have couple of glaring faults which doesnt make it a giant killer.

Compared to Proline 750, RP21 certainly has better midrange and highs tonality, really pleasing to listen, but dont have as much detail as PL750 (though Ultrasone cheats it a bit, by killing midrange timbre and tonality in favor of making details more audible). However, what kills this headphone is simply horribly overpowering midbass impact combined with absolutely 0 soundstage. On very intimate sounding headphones, tons of bass covers details easily. Its not bad on recordings that are recorded with balanced bass, but even slightly bass heavy and its a compressed mess. PL750 is strong in the lower regions, but it doesnt overpower anything and is detailed (and has much better soundstage too). RP21 doesnt reach exactly as deep in bass, but midbass is way stronger than Ultrasones. Too bad, the mids and highs (foams on or off) give a lot of promise, but I have hard time figuring any studio monitor would provide this much reverbing bass. Good can, but I have withdrawn PL750 sale thread and RP21 can go instead.

...I wonder how much bass RP22x has then...
basshead.gif

*edit* EEEK! My avatar is squished!
eek.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #658 of 697
Quote:

Please do post pictures/update when you receive them.

Since headfi was down due to technical issues, I was unable to post an update earlier.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good camera, so the pictures will have to come at a later time. The earpads themselves are great, and there is indeed only one hole on the underside for cushion ventilation/squishiness, etc.

My primary motive for getting the replacement earpads was to replace the stock RP-22x ones, which rested on my ears and was uncomfortable. Foam discs came with the earpads, which I ended up just sandwiching between the new earpads and the earcup without using any adhesive. I may end up putting the original foam discs back in over the drivers to see how different the sound is.

The earpads were pretty tight to install, and the easiest way I found to replace the earpads was to actually stick my finger through from the inside to pull the lip of the earpads into the slot.

The earpads are much more comfortable than the original ones (since they go around my ears). The isolation is also good, but a bit less than a pair of HD-280's.

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #659 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber_Soul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the poor picture quality:

The foam on the right has lips, the foam on the top is the thickest, can anyone identify these foams?

thats my old pair =)

what epitheless said here is correct

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Far left looks like the Beyer foam, far right the KSC-75/PortaPro/SportaPro pad...As for the middle two, not sure...Perhaps a Sennheiser HD-25 foam on the bottom and the original RP-21 foam on top?

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #660 of 697
I've had the RP-21 for a few weeks now and I must admit I'm quite impressed, for 85$ these are awesome!
I needed a pair of closed cans for when the family is watching TV or a movie, my MS-1 or DR-150 leak too much and everyone complains. These babies do the trick! Great allround sound, excellent bass. I'm sure that there are better cans out there but you'll have to pay considerably more to better these significantly.
Now I wanted to try the beyer pads since everyone says that they're more comfy, not that I find these uncomfortable but wouldn't mind a little more...any way, this will sound silly but how do we get the pads off the RP-21?
I afraid I'm going to break them!
thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back