EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Sep 16, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #616 of 697
richierich: I'm also in the Bay Area. If you haven't heard it yet, we could arrange for you to hear the LBII with the RP21 before you start a new amp fund.

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #617 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly do not feel like reading the whole thread. So here are my questions:

1. sound signature? i.e. warm, bright, aggressive

2. instrument separation - is it that evident or does it only separate the "easy instruments" such as the drums and cymbals

3. sound stage - is it wide enough? (im not expecting some K701s space, but I'd like a good spacing in my songs)

4. isolation: how much does it isolate? is it good for a bus commute?

1) neutral - nice accurate sound reproduction

2)very good separation across the board

3)exceptional, for a closed headphone. IMHO a unique quality to the sound stage having both a quality of spaciousness and an intimacy which I have not experienced in other headphones.

4) good closed can isolation

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #618 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
richierich: I'm also in the Bay Area. If you haven't heard it yet, we could arrange for you to hear the LBII with the RP21 before you start a new amp fund.

Wow thank you so much bebanovich! Maybe next spring we can set something up.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #619 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly do not feel like reading the whole thread. So here are my questions:

1. sound signature? i.e. warm, bright, aggressive

2. instrument separation - is it that evident or does it only separate the "easy instruments" such as the drums and cymbals

3. sound stage - is it wide enough? (im not expecting some K701s space, but I'd like a good spacing in my songs)

4. isolation: how much does it isolate? is it good for a bus commute?

1. Warm + a little bass heavy. Laid back mids (creates some depth but sometimes the vocals can get a little lost). A little more neutral once you remove the inner foam.

2. Good instrument separation.

3. Nice sound stage for closed phones.

4. Decent isolation - nothing like IEM though. Very good at preventing sound leakage.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #620 of 697
For me, isolation is not good enough to use them as a commuting can. I tried them again this morning on the DC Metro and I found myself wanting to turn them up to drowned out the ambient sound that was leaking in.

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #621 of 697
That's a loud metro
tongue.gif
They're fine for me since I mainly use them at school and at home when necessary. Otherwise, I use my MS-1's. I just like the sound better out of the MS-1's although it's completely personal preference. I like the RP-21's almost as much (and they're 100% better for classical) but I just love the sound of the MS-1's. I think the RP-21's have good separation and soundstage, and I found them to be pretty neutral. Not bass heavy at all as previously mentioned. The mids are recessed though... would amping possibly fix that for me?

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #622 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my RP-21s online and they arrived with the exact same finish issue on the headband. Like you, i figured it was nitpicking and it didnt affect the phones sonically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While we're keeping track, my dad's RP-21 (the last one available at his local dealer in Michigan) also had this headband finish issue at the time of purchase...

Very interesting. Any idea what the model runs are for those two? If you remove the earpad on the right side, there should be a sticker indicating its run. (If you'd prefer not to take the pads off, or can't get to the pair in question, that's totally fine. I'm just curious, and I'm sure Equation would be curious as well.)

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #623 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, isolation is not good enough to use them as a commuting can. I tried them again this morning on the DC Metro and I found myself wanting to turn them up to drowned out the ambient sound that was leaking in.

They isolate a little too well for me, but I don't take the metro/train to work every day. What cans do you use on the metro instead?

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #624 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psiga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. Any idea what the model runs are for those two? If you remove the earpad on the right side, there should be a sticker indicating its run. (If you'd prefer not to take the pads off, or can't get to the pair in question, that's totally fine. I'm just curious, and I'm sure Equation would be curious as well.)

Hi!
How do you remove the earpads?

On the 22 that I own, the only way I see is by sliding the black "leather" over.
Also there are small screws inside that hold the cup to the structure?...

thanks,

PS. Anybody did any modding on the RP22?

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #625 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They isolate a little too well for me, but I don't take the metro/train to work every day. What cans do you use on the metro instead?

IEMs. I haven't found a can that isolates well enough for the DC Metro. Background sound levels are over 90dB. The only can I haven't tried that might do it is the HD25, but I'm hesitant to spend the money on something that probably won't be good enough.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #626 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psiga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Under the right earcup there is a sticker that says 04K07. Would this be the model run?

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #627 of 697
ordered a Set of RP-21s for $130 (£66) shipped to London from California.

Will be using them mainly for mixing/monitoring in studio and audio editing situations, but I hope to be able to use them in many other sonic situations also =)

This epic thread was instrumental in my buying these heaphones, hope they work for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #628 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
How do you remove the earpads?

On the 22 that I own, the only way I see is by sliding the black "leather" over.
Also there are small screws inside that hold the cup to the structure?...

Correct; I'm simply talking about slipping the black pleather cushion off the plastic. On the RP-21, there will be a sticker just like Bigmike34 found.

Bigmike34: Yeah, that's the sticker. Interesting. My damaged one was 03K06, and my undamaged replacement was 04K07. So you've got a recent run with a similar defect.

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #630 of 697
I posted about this in the Sale thread, but it will probably get more (appropriate) exposure in the Equation Audio threads:

I just paid for a set of used Equation Audio RP-21s from which the original thick foam circles were removed. I know a number of you RP-21 owners have done the same procedure (to improve sound quality), so I thought I'd check to see if anyone has a set of the original foam circles lying around that they don't want. I'd like to have a full array of choices when my RP-21s arrive so I can decide which way I prefer them. Let me know if we can work something out! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back