EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Apr 22, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #61 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ain't it always like that. Although I did find a store which sells K510's on-line here in Holland. You think me likes?

Don't know. Never heard them (I presume you mean the K501). They get some pretty good press from some people though. Must be something about them that grabs some people. For the price (what is the price in the Dutch shop?) it might be a fair gamble.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #62 of 697
Hey everyone,
Just sitting here watching a great T-storm roll through. I have been listening to the Equation 22X all day. If you like the Jazz this is a real sweet listen. There is a warmth and yet a clarity or crispness that is exquisite. If we dub the RP-21's the Camaro Can, the RP-22X may be the Silver Lincoln Continental Can. There must be something more than the ear cup design going on here, if not, it is truly amazing the different sound signatures that are created between the 21's and the 22X's just from the ear cup pad design.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #63 of 697
Does that mean the Camaro is faster and the Continental is more smooth and lush? It seems the RP21 has a good amount of bass. What are the Sound sig. differences? Thanks!

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #64 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan on a stick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking seriously hard about getting the 15 since the price is so inviting. Like Dandi your Camaro reference made me go back a few years, that is the color. Let us know what the 15 does in comparison to the 21.

Ah, I only have the 15. There are some folks in this thread that have both.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #65 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I only have the 15. There are some folks in this thread that have both.

Oops, meant to say in comparison to the ATH SJ5 a headphone that so far has been my best experience with a moderately priced ($100 and under) portable.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #66 of 697
You read my mind, sorry the post was vague. First when I said Jazz I should have clarified. Jazz has a huge spectrum of sounds associated with the it. I listen to 1950's style Jazz or Jazz that is played in the Bop, Cool or Free styles mostly. I like live recording a lot. I think the 21 and 22 are similar in ability to present a full detailed accurate sound. As I mentioned in my original post the 22X's put me further back in the seats I think it is a mellower sound with lots of space and resonance associated with the SQ IMO. The 21's are very engaging with great Bass presentation. It's not that the 21 lacks Bass. As you said it has a good amount. All that I need for sure. I was just kind of musing on the Camaro idea which I thought was a great image. It would be nice to hear other's discuss their preferred musical genres. I think the 21's would be great for Classical not sure which, 22X or the 21,I would choose for Rock. I love the 21's for Folk and acoustic. Admittedly my musical preferences are narrow. Thank for catching me on that rather vague post jant71. :O)

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #67 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is worthless without comparisons to Beyerdynamics, Grados, Ultrasones and Sennheisers!!!

Photos of my Equation RP-21 headphones and my (well-worn) Sennheiser HD600s.

I got my RP-21s a little after RedBeardatXM did. I was ready to buy a pair of Grado SR-80s (or 125s/225s depending on street prices) for work when Don suggested the RP-21s.

I trust Don's opinions and judgments on all things audio, but I have to admit that I was very skeptical. I had never heard of Equation Audio, and the product specifications on Equation's website didn't inspire any confidence. ("Fantasy Response"? "GHurts"? Ugh...) Nonetheless, I bought a pair.

A long story short, the headphones met my rather simple needs -- good sounding cans that don't cost a mint or require me to buy a headphone amp for work. They're reasonably comfortable, they're low impedance, I like the cable design (1/8" stereo plugs on each end with a screw-on 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter), and they have a "front row" sound that isn't annoyingly bright or boomy.

I hesitate to compare them to my Sennheiser HD600s (which cost significantly more), but since you asked...
  1. The RP-21s are brighter than the HD600s but not annoyingly so.
  2. The RP-21s have more oomph at the low end than the HD600s.
  3. The RP-21s are front row at a concert in Blue Man Group's "The Complex" tour; the HD600s are balcony seats at the Boston Philharmonic.
  4. The RP-21s are comfortable; the HD600s are more comfortable.
  5. The RP-21s can survive without an amp; the HD600s definitely can't.
  6. The RP-21s are a bit tacky looking (I call them "the orangephones"); the HD600s are unassuming.

The RP-21s aren't the pinnacle of audio achievement, but I think they are a good value.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #68 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know. Never heard them (I presume you mean the K501). They get some pretty good press from some people though. Must be something about them that grabs some people. For the price (what is the price in the Dutch shop?) it might be a fair gamble.

Oops. Yes, K501.
smily_headphones1.gif

They are €161.

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #69 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan on a stick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, meant to say in comparison to the ATH SJ5 a headphone that so far has been my best experience with a moderately priced ($100 and under) portable.

so far they have fairly similar sound sigs, but I think they both have a little more breaking in to do. 15 definitely has better mids and is more foldable (like, how the SJ5 doesn't stay in place if folded. The RP15, with cord off, folds up into a very tiny headphone-ball). The SJ5 is more comfortably neckable and has a short cord. SJ5 is also far more comfortable. The 15 is HD280-clampy. SJ5 also wins on looks IMO. I think the 15 does a better job isolating, probably isolates as well as any closed circumaural can, whereas the SJ5 isolates marginally better than my HD201. The RP-15 is not as dependent on head placement as the SJ5 is (and on the SJ5 note, I find hooking t he bottom of the pad around my ear lobe serves to brighten them up a little).

Both have pretty huge bass, but the SJ5 comes off as a little brighter to my ears. If the RP-15 develops its treble a little more as it wears in, and keeps those mids; and I can get a short cord for it, then I will beyond a shadow of a doubt prefer it over the SJ5, but for the moment they're a pretty decent match. I'll post a more in depth comparison when I have the time and I think both the cans are ready.

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #70 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Photos of my Equation RP-21 headphones and my (well-worn) Sennheiser HD600s.

I got my RP-21s a little after RedBeardatXM did. I was ready to buy a pair of Grado SR-80s (or 125s/225s depending on street prices) for work when Don suggested the RP-21s.

I trust Don's opinions and judgments on all things audio, but I have to admit that I was very skeptical. I had never heard of Equation Audio, and the product specifications on Equation's website didn't inspire any confidence. ("Fantasy Response"? "GHurts"? Ugh...) Nonetheless, I bought a pair.

A long story short, the headphones met my rather simple needs -- good sounding cans that don't cost a mint or require me to buy a headphone amp for work. They're reasonably comfortable, they're low impedance, I like the cable design (1/8" stereo plugs on each end with a screw-on 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter), and they have a "front row" sound that isn't annoyingly bright or boomy.

I hesitate to compare them to my Sennheiser HD600s (which cost significantly more), but since you asked...
  1. The RP-21s are brighter than the HD600s but not annoyingly so.
  2. The RP-21s have more oomph at the low end than the HD600s.
  3. The RP-21s are front row at a concert in Blue Man Group's "The Complex" tour; the HD600s are balcony seats at the Boston Philharmonic.
  4. The RP-21s are comfortable; the HD600s are more comfortable.
  5. The RP-21s can survive without an amp; the HD600s definitely can't.
  6. The RP-21s are a bit tacky looking (I call them "the orangephones"); the HD600s are unassuming.

The RP-21s aren't the pinnacle of audio achievement, but I think they are a good value.

Thanks. How is the soundstage size overall? You said its front-row style, but is it small in widht and depth like Grados tend to be?

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #71 of 697
Hello Again,

It's me Dave..... C'mon let me in its me Dave.... the password is Bassboat, LOL.

I hope to answer some posted questions about Equation Audio EarTools headphones stemming from Dandi’ original EarTools Review at the top of page 1 of this forum. I will to my best to keep up with your responses as they are posted.

We thank everyone for their support from product purchases and the subsequent personal reviews reflecting your purchase satisfaction. Please continue to Support Your Local Equation Audio Dealer as they are the ones that will benefit most from your purchases.

Equation Audio EarTools have been available on the Pro Audio market since 2003. Our backgrounds and product views stem from within the entertainment and music industry, working as Tour Sound/Recording Engineers, Tour/Studio Musicians, Music Director/Producer/Recording Artist and so on. (Equation is just our day job, LOL)

We are also consumers of many differing audio products and brands over the years just like you, which help to spawn our unique proprietary designs. Our goal and commonality involves the continuous pursuit of audio quality and the advancement of mediums in which they are transferred, from the very start of the audio chain (microphones), to a system of final delivery via transducer technology (headphones).

As many of you are vying for comparisons please consider this, as a live performance sound/recording engineer the RP-21 is a closed back headphone that is as good, or better than real time monitoring with Studio quality 4 ohm, near field monitors. Notice I compared to larger transducers, not another brand of headphones.

In the real world no matter what profession or use a set of headphones is intended to appease, the remaining facts towards final purchase are the same as you have been discussing in this forum.

1) Application Specific Performance, quality audio reproduction for choice genre(s) of music.
2) Value compared to another product a buyer is familiar with.
3) Affordability, compared to another product a buyer has purchased.

Product Example: Lexus Cars became to US consumers an alternative choice to owning a Expensive High Quality Luxurious Appearing Automobile at a shockingly affordable price, that is when compared to a Mercedes of equal quality but higher price that comes with the Mercedes name. Both are still basic automobiles.

As with any brand of pro audio equipment, if products become highly recommended by professional peers of notoriety this of course adds credibility to the product. Most touring acts/recording artists/musicians can afford most any tool they want. Many are choosing Equation products because of their inherent performance and sound quality alone. When paying for the product, the price is an eye brow raising surprise that leaves more $$ in the budget for the bands road masseuse. Hence, Bands love Equation!

I add the following about EarTools in general, There is No-masking involved with our headphones. Ear pads are user replaceable if and when they wear out. The paint used on the RP-21,22X and 15MC is Lexus auto paint, Lexus Bronze and Lexus Silver. A Simple Unique Touch of Class in the form of chip resistant paint, ala Lexus.

The only cables we offer at this time are packaged with each headphone. Replacement and interchangeable cables can be ordered at your local dealer. The RP-21 comes with a 3 meter/9.8 ft. straight cable, The RP-22X a 3 meter Coiled cable. The coiled being the physically shorter of the two out of the box.

I have heard the requests for shorter cables and DIY parts, at this time it is not in our agenda. There have been no requests since 2003 of this sort from the pro audio market. As developing marketing trends change and new products are developed you may be surprised.

A lot of basic facts were noted in the original review. All EarTools product specification sheets are downloadable at www.equationaudio.com. For immediate MSRP & product descriptions- follow this link http://sybrsound.bravepages.com/EQAsales/EQAsales.htm. A link to download Equation Audio’ Retail Catalog is posted in my earlier response. Someone recently pasted complete RP-21 specs into this forum.

The RP-21 is our “Reference” model or Flagship if you prefer. I liken RP-21s to duct taping a pair of Tannoy near field monitor speakers to your head. As an engineer I can attest to mix-down sessions of 6 ½ hours with Zero Ear Fatigue. I use RP-21s to rapidly dial in ‘Live’ high profile shows from concerts to theatrical performances.

Our RP-21 headphones operate within our printed 10Hz – 22KHz frequency response. The RP-22x is hyped from 200Hz to 5Hz, +/- 5 – 10 dB. Some would describe this as added warmth, DJs like the power it adds to low frequencies without loosing the crisp highs. The RP-22X features an inner ear pad that works just like the stuffing you would find inside an 18” subwoofer box, it too is user replaceable. The RP-15MC is hyped at the high end much like Sony 7506s. The major difference is the RP-15 is not so hyped at 8K to include the Ear Burn that comes with the 7506s after a short period of listening or higher level monitoring.

Other food for thought;

When it comes to purity of music and building excellence one of Europe’ Best Organ Manufacturers from the Netherlands, has made and distributed Organs of Re-known quality since the 1960’s and even used to provide re-tagged Content Organs for Hammond Organs here in the US often heard in many music recordings.

Koos Heimstra, of Content Digital Organs had this to say about our RP-21 Stereo Reference Headphones, “The RP-21 is the very first pair of stereo headphones we find that can accurately reproduce 10 cycles (10Hz) without abnormal levels of volume and no distortion, even when using reverb. Isolation is very good, making them ideal for organ practitioners. We will highly recommend the Equation Audio RP-21 Headphones to our customers”.

Malcolm Toft, Recording engineer with a background that includes; the Beatles – “Hey Jude”, David Bowie’ – “A Space Oddity” and James Taylor’ first album had this to say about the RP-21. “I finally found a pair of cans I feel I can trust during critical real time monitoring applications.”

Sometimes the best of what’s on the pro market just takes a little longer to trickle down to the mainstream consumer echelon. Just remember, we do listen. We are just as easy to contact before you buy our products as we are after the sale. Equation EarTools products have a 2 year warranty, printed on the box.

Oh speaking of the box, the intended professional audio humor “Fantasy Response” on our packaging is funny, even to a highly paid lighting guy. I will see that some typos are corrected as some of our humor was lost due to a missing + - sign. Our references to Giga –hurts and the intended “+ - A Good Caning”, is our way of reminding people that a majority of humans can hear sound frequencies from 20Hz to 20KHz. Some along with Sally the wonder pup can hear slightly higher frequencies. Mocking transducer type headphone products capable of reproducing a frequency range from as low as 1Hz to 2.4 GHz or somewhere in between can be fun, until now. Wow, I suddenly feel like the Bush’ Baked Beans Irish Setter dog Bud. Excepting that I sold out our punch lines. My humblest of apologies to ‘Stu’ the Studio cat who wrote our comedic passages.

I hope I added to this forum information that has not already been stated by your peers. Who just happen to be part of Equation Nation by choice of purchase! C’mon, if you have ever shucked out more than $169 for a decidedly ‘decent’ pair of headphones, you can afford to join others from “Planet Audio” reveling in their music and Like the Cheez-It Crackers commercial on TV, “Get Your Own Box”! LOL. Uh Oh, bad sound guy humor :frowning2: you had to be here. (They come in a Box, get it, LOL.)

Our claim as posted on our website:
Equation Audio is currently producing products that absolutely amaze many of our buyers simply because they live up to our most significant claim . . .
"At or near any price point product made by Equation Audio, you can't find another product with equivalent performance and quality . . . we refer to this achievement as "Beyond Equal".

Thanks for your purchases and your responses,

Dave Sears – Equation Audio

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #72 of 697
Hi Disiskurt,

Thanks for expressing your distaste about Equation Audio poster child, “Screaming Zack” Flash! Screaming Zack…… Flash. Ha Ha, Flash! Get it … You were pointing out a picture on our Flash site. Bummer, the moment is lost :frowning2:
Sorry, sound guy stage humor. Guess you had to be here.

I do admit I have seen Zack look better, LOL. However there are a lot of Equation users that do share his ‘Screaming’ enthusiasm for EarTools RP-21 headphones. I step back to insert a major portion of Dandi’ original Equation Audio EarTools review from top of page 1 of this forum, it is impossible to shorten to make my point:

“The sound is detailed, crystal clear and quite neutral. The soundstage is intimate, placing me in the front row center. The depth and width of the soundstage is remarkable. The nuance is incredible. I wrote in my listening notes “you can hear the brass in the horn”. Time and time again I was jolted by the entrance of another player into the soundstage. I would be totally absorbed in listening to a beautiful section of a recording and then another instrument would join in and just surprise me with the clear, clean and crisp added dynamics. The smoothness and seamlessness with which this happens with the RP-21 is just fantastic. The fade in and out of the musician’s microphones is captured, the attack and decay, the timber of the musical wave form and the loudness and pitch is extremely well articulated. The RP-21 fully engaged me in my listening experience; there was no wandering off on other thoughts. During a complex passage each instrument retains its own integrity with a very clean mixing of the multiple sound wave forms. The RP-21 lets me hear everything as clearly and cleanly as it is put down on the recording. The harmonic resonance is beautiful, realistic and true to the recording. The low frequency detail and resolution is intriguing. It took a good 20 to 30 hours of run time on the RP-21’s to really clarify the bass response and each day it becomes more revealing. A remarkable quality in the RP-21 is the sound from an upright bass, or kick drum. There is a resonance, a quality of vibration I had not appreciated in 10 years of listening to headphones. Listening is similar to hearing/experiencing a loudspeaker or live performance.

The headphones disappear into the music very easily. Very often the encumbrance of the RP-21 transcends the listening experience and I am left in a big wide space with just the music and acoustics of the venue, be it the studio or concert hall.”

After reading this I could easily envision Dandi completely immersed deep within his RP-21s, suddenly throwing his head back and “Screaming” his approval with the crowd moments after the last downbeat of a live concert was struck or at the end of a classical movement by a full symphony orchestra, complete with rolling Tympanis or even sitting back in his easy chair screaming along to a great rock song you just might know too, judging by your profile signature.

Don't you remember?
We built this city,
We built this city on rock an' roll!

Please note: It’s not my fault Karaoke allows for scream singing as being acceptable in public now. My apologies to Dandi for implying he sings or even screams.

I close our case, in complete support of All the “Screaming Zack” Flash Type of Music Listeners Spread Around “Planet Audio”. Some call them Head Bangers. We call them “Extreme Users” from “Equation Nation”!

So, put your EarTools Headphones of Choice onto your head. Put on the UFO “Strangers in the Night” Live Album/CD, grab a lighter and Rock out. I invite you to “Head Bang” with the Best of Us Die Hard Sound Engineers! (Its All about the music, not about the girls… Its All about the music, not about the girls… yeah, right.)

Thanks for your feedback Disiskurt.

DisisDave, Equation Audio, Peace, Out! (Sorry, could’nt resist.)

PS- Try the RP-21s with a DVD of Jurassic Park or Star Wars- any episode.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #74 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybrsound
The paint used on the RP-21,22X and 15MC is Lexus auto paint, Lexus Bronze and Lexus Silver. A Simple Unique Touch of Class in the form of chip resistant paint, ala Lexus.

Well, I'll be
blink.gif
! Looks like we were onto something with our car references guys!

x2 The mods might jump down your butt on the sales pitch issue. My editors used to want me to advertise my published work on the art forums I hung out at, which was beyond a shadow of a doubt a bannable offense at those places. Head-fi tends to be more chilled out than any art forum I know, though. If it's gonna be a problem the right folks will get in touch through the right channels.

Guess I'll just have to order one of those coiled cables, unless there is some sorta generic tabbed screw-in jack available at ratshack or somewhere. My Fostexes have a very similar mechanism, though it's a right angle plug...

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #75 of 697
Hi Everyone- Thanks for pointing out my over marketing our products, funny as sound guys can't shut up about their toys. I get started and it just ends up sounding like a NSM now a days. I Promise more shop talk and less marketing. Product not Pitch......Product not Pitch.... so in 23 days this will become a new habit. Product not Pitch...... LOL. Have a great one!
Dave - Equation Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back