EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Jul 6, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #466 of 697
Okay, I got my RP-21 now for two days (thanks Tom
smily_headphones1.gif
) After getting used to the heavy bass I really like them, even a bit more than the HD580s I traded 'em for.
A problem is that I tend to sweat where the pad touches my skin. Is there anything I can do to change this without altering the sound (like Beyer pads seem to do)?

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #467 of 697
Ever since I got to demo Steve's RP-21s, I was really impressed by them and finally got myself a pair the other day. As discussed here though, the cable leaves something to be desired. Quite frankly, it drives me nuts. I was going to order the slimline plugs also mentioned previously but got concerned from Al's comments about them being fragile. So I decided to sacrifice an OEM plug that is part of a cable I no longer use. After stripping the molded plastic and rubber I'm left with a plug that is more than skinny enough. Wired it up and now I have a much more manageable cable. Unfortunately, I'm out of 1/8" sleeving so it isn't 100% done but it is serviceable.

How does it sound? Well, I don't have a ton of time with the stock cable but as I'm listening to it now I would say the sound has opened up a tad and the bass is even tighter. All that being said without any A/B testing however. Honestly, my main purpose was to jettison the stock cable, not SQ improvement.

PICS:

So here is my victim - an RCA signal splitter.

victimeh8.jpg

After stripping it down to the bare plug, this is what I was left with. As you can see this thing is skinny. I've done this type of mod before and this is a typical OEM plug. (Sorry for the fuzzy pic - I used macro with no tripod.)

bareplugwz1.jpg

And here's the mostly complete cable in use:

finishedzb9.jpg

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #468 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No sweat. They have a seperate replacement parts catalog & the section that includes the Beyerdynamic parts can be found here. You'll have to download that section & give them a call (1-800-356-5844, x1358). Jeff (the person who took my order) said I was the first person in ~5 years to request them. It would be kind of funny if suddenly they got a mini-rush of headfiers looking for them.

I love cheap reversible mods.

Just to save time, the exact parts # at Full Compass for the foam inserts (Beyer DT770DT990) is 014=933.395. The number is NOT the same one as in the online PDF catalogue, the one online is outdated, according to the FC sales guy. They are .99 each.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #469 of 697
I read through all 24 pages(3 hours of reading
eggosmile.gif
) and had a couple questions. I have been thinking of buying RP15MC and was wondering how they compare to HD555, HD280 Pro and PortaPros. I've been eying those 3 for a couple days now with RP15MC newly added to the mix since yesterday. I haven't really read much about direct comparisons with RP15MC/RP21 to those specific cans. According to what I read so far, RP15MC seem to have the much better price vs performance ratio than RP21(I obviously won't mention prices but I have seen RP15MC at very low prices at couple places).
If they do compare well with HD555, I won't have to waste extra ~$45 bucks on HD555. I want to stay as low as possible and still get good sound(I am not an audiophile). They would be just for gaming and music(i.e. some rock, little classical, little jazz, little rap). I like how these can be rolled up so small and it doesn't seem like they are really worse compared to RP21 SQ-wise.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #470 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD485 cable fits easily in the RP-21 earcup.

The barrel of the HD485 earcup-end connector is actually narrower and designed for a deeper socket than the Equation cable, so it sorta can't help but fit.

I'm guessing the Equation cables will not work on Senn headphones however? I'm planning to buy an Equation coiled cable for my Senns for better portability.

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #471 of 697
Hey, bladefd; I can answer some questions. The RP-15 pummels the Porta-Pro as far as range and bass power. I haven't used the Sennheiser cans that you mentioned -- but in CTY's post above, he says that he prefers the RP-21 over his Senn HD580... Comparatively, the RP-15 has more bass (the good kind, too), stuff sounds stronger but also darker, more direct but also bunched closer together. It's not as clean or spacious sounding; isn't as good with vocals or presenting a scene.

I think they'd make great gamer-casual cans. Great boom, portable, easy on low-quality stuff. Great with rap, great with jazz. For rock and classical, though... They'll sound a bit too bunched in, compared to their big brother model. Not horrible, just not a natural fit. You might not even notice until you hear a better set of headphones.

Even when you can eventually move up to more expensive, higher-end headphones... Be careful. Really. You very likely may end up buying some $180+ set of headphones then realizing that they have weak bass and don't make good instruments sound as 'authentic'.

For the price, they are a straight-up great deal. They will spoil you in a few ways. New kid on the block punches wicked hard.

I'm making a pretty good sell, maybe? I'm still keeping the RP-21 in the end. But gonna miss some stuff, no doubt.

Edit: Stretching the headband for a few days has been making the RP-15 more comfortable. As expected. I know I'm being picky because I am used to over-the-ear clip/hook types which are light enough to almost forget you're wearing them.

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #472 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing the Equation cables will not work on Senn headphones however? I'm planning to buy an Equation coiled cable for my Senns for better portability.

The Equation cables will not fit the Sennheiser HD485, no.

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #475 of 697
Hi,

For my first post and after reading all this thread, I have one question which may sound stupid (sorry if it is..
wink.gif
:
Finally, what is really lacking in the RP-21 (and/or RP-22X) performances when compared to a high end product such as the DT-990, for example ?

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #476 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by CATHDEFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

For my first post and after reading all this thread, I have one question which may sound stupid (sorry if it is..
wink.gif
:
Finally, what is really lacking in the RP-21 (and/or RP-22X) performances when compared to a high end product such as the DT-990, for example ?

Welcome aboard!

The RP-21s are certainly a terrific bang-for-the-buck headphone. What you tend to get with higher-end 'phones is more resolution, greater extension and typically a bigger soundstage (though not with Grados generally speaking). For example, since you mentioned the DT990s - they reach much higher - in regards to the sound spectrum - than the 21s. You hear more detail and can hear instrument placement (as in band and orchestra music). The 990s have a much broader soundstage - there is a sense of space. Bass is also tighter and reaches lower.

Once you listen for yourself the sonic differences are apparent. And is what draws you into this evil hobby! Hang on to yer wallet!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #477 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by CATHDEFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

wink.gif
:

Welcome and sorry etc.

It's not a stupid question at all, I think it's pretty central to this whole site! As Warrior said, the 21s are great but the differences you get for more $$$ are obvious when you hear them. Until then 21s sound amazing. Guys at my work who are into music but have only heard cheaper cans are blown away by the 21s.

I used to own 990s and they certainly sound "better" than the 21s, as said, but they don't isolate as well. If you don't hear 990s you would be happy with 21s.

It's only a loose, general rule, but the more you spend the better sound you normally get. However, your ears may certainly prefer the sound of cheaper cans. You really need to hear a whole heap of different ones to know what pleases you.

Personally, I need deeeeep bass, clarity, the ability to resolve fine detail and excellent isolation. Not easy to get in 1 headphone. I'm perfectly happy with my Edition 9s but they aren't cheap and cost a bit to get to the stage where I know what I need.

If you're thinking about it, I say get the 21s and listen for a few months before thinking about upgrading. You won't lose too much if you sell them down the track for something else.

Don't forget, some say your source is equally as important as your cans, then your amp is third.

Good luck!

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #478 of 697
I have to specify that here (France) the RP-21 is not as cheap as in the USA...In fact, without speaking of REAL price numbers, it's TWICE the best price you can get in the States...

Jul 10, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #479 of 697
For those who are using the foam that comes with the BD DT770 pads, do you just cut the foam in the same shape as the stock foam or what?

Jul 10, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #480 of 697
No, you use the whole Beyer foam under the Beyer pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back