EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Jul 1, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #436 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I'm assuming an IC like this would work as a replacement cable for the 21s as well. If anybody would like to see a picture of this cable, I will be able to take some in about a week, maybe somebody can figure out where it came from.

Pics would be great!

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #437 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those wondering about the unamped highs roll-off for the 15s: it is much less noticeable now that they've had a chance to burn-in for awhile. Keep in mind that my initial impressions where I first talked about the lack of highs they were literally being used for the very first time right out of the box. As I listen to them now, even after getting less than 20 hours of burn in and running unamped from my Ipod, the issue seems to have resolved itself. In fact, the unamped sound all-around has improved a lot, even the soundstage seems larger. These really are great headphones, and they keep getting better every time I listen to them.

Nice to hear. The 15's deserves more attention. Actually, besides the first post in this thread, I've read almost nothing about them (SQ-wise) in this forum. These small pups deserve some offiical reviews. Maybe I'll make one for them in the near future.

No. It would be better if someone with ES7's and other portable cans can conjure up some comparisons. Wouldn't be fair to compare the two due to the price disparity but still...I think it would have a good chance since many people have stated that it's very similar to its more widely accepted brother. Let's see if it warrants that label.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #438 of 697
My special-order 15s should be arriving some time this week. I'll be burning them in, testing with and without foam, and comparing to their big bro. Probably gonna be unflinchingly critical in that comparison, too, so if I end up gushing about how similar they really are, that will be saying something.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #441 of 697
Got a pair of RP-21's this weekend. Really enjoying them so far.

My only complaint is the stock pads get a bit sweaty/clammy after awhile. So I want to try to Beyer velours, but I cant seem to find a source online in the US. Can anyone direct me to a source?

These are my first quality set of cans. Mainly been into full size speakers and Home theater until now. Baby on the way so I have to be quieter
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #442 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyhoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My only complaint is the stock pads get a bit sweaty/clammy after awhile. So I want to try to Beyer velours, but I cant seem to find a source online in the US. Can anyone direct me to a source?

These are my first quality set of cans. Mainly been into full size speakers and Home theater until now. Baby on the way so I have to be quieter
wink.gif

Just type Beyer USA and do a search with your browser. Then look for the contact information and send them an email or call them.

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #444 of 697
Wow, my RP21s came today, and I just finished an A/B session (without any real burn-in) between them and the SR80s, and I have to say, I am a new convert (I ordered them based on this thread). I removed the foam, which was thick, and will order some replacement foam from Beyer. But mano a mano, the RP21s really sound fine compared to the Grados. I mean, the Grados sound good, but the RP21s just sound better. Thanks all for the tip. I really believe the RP21s/SR80s combined with the Atrio M5s, X3s and a pair of PK-3s (on order) make for a sane low-budget, relatively high-quality phone collection. Am I done? My wife and friends are sick of me saying so, but I hope this is it. Nah.

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #445 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyhoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

http://www.fullcompass.com/pdfs/publ...s/ear_pads.pdf

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #446 of 697
fullcompass just lists the pleather. The 426-660 are the velours. Ill contact them and see if they can get the velours if I dont hear anything from Beyer-usa by next week.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #447 of 697
Wow. tstarn06, they're sounding better even without burn-in? You'll probably love these puppies after 20+ hours, then. Mine are at 90+ and still slowly getting better.

ON TO THE NEW NEWS:
RP-15 arrived today. Will get pictures and such...eventually. I'm not in a rush; you guys basically know what they look like.

Initial impressions: Nicely small. Out of the box they have pretty nice bass, and are more forgiving of low-quality material than their big brothers. They are supra-aural for the most part, and thus not as comfy as the RP-21s.

After about 1 hour of pink noise I decided to yank the inner foam, and to my ear it is an improvement. This may change as they break in, for better or worse. The foam is thinner than the RP-21 foam, so be much more careful when pulling it off the double-sided tape.

Hm. The specs say that its frequency range bottoms out at 50Hz, but I can hear down to 30Hz with it. In fact, I can hear as much bass with the RP-15 as I can hear with the RP-21. Neither of them can do much to render 20Hz or below for me. http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samples...e.php?id=20680

Can someone else confirm any of this? Maybe my source just can't put enough power into anything below 30Hz.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #448 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psiga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact, I can hear as much bass with the RP-15 as I can hear with the RP-21. Neither of them can do much to render 20Hz or below for me..

dude the 15's are 110% definitely bassier. Theyre little monsters. The 21's are for sure cleaner sounding though. Theyre both excellent either way.

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #449 of 697
I was hesitating saying that, since they weren't broken in. I wanted to say that the 15s actually sounded a bit stronger at 30Hz than the 21s, but I had a hard time believing my own ears.

It seems weird that Equation would sell the 15s short by saying they bottom out at 50Hz, but then hype the 21s up by saying that they go all the way to 10Hz. In my personal experience they both hit their practical limits at 30Hz. (And that 'practical limit' sounds great on both.)

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #450 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psiga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hesitating saying that, since they weren't broken in. I wanted to say that the 15s actually sounded a bit stronger at 30Hz than the 21s, but I had a hard time believing my own ears.

It seems weird that Equation would sell the 15s short by saying they bottom out at 50Hz, but then hype the 21s up by saying that they go all the way to 10Hz. In my personal experience they both hit their practical limits at 30Hz. (And that 'practical limit' sounds great on both.)

yAH that is really weird. Listen to a track that's really bassy and you will be like holie crap! The bass on those things is to the extreme. With all honesty Im not exaggerating at all either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back