EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Jun 28, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #422 of 697
Warranty, schmarranty. If it works for a day it will work for years. I can promise you removing the foam voids the warranty! I would like to find a better cable, since mine are now using Beyer pads and Beyer foam, I'm really starting to get somewhere
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #423 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warranty, schmarranty. If it works for a day it will work for years. I can promise you removing the foam voids the warranty! I would like to find a better cable, since mine are now using Beyer pads and Beyer foam, I'm really starting to get somewhere
biggrin.gif

I tried this mod and like it best as well. I too have decided I need a new cable, this one's just too stiff. Warranty on $100.00 headphones is pretty much meaningless to me. We just need to discover which mini TRS jack will work well.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #424 of 697
Indeed we do - I hope someone will post when finding it. I have tried some cables I had lying around, but none were really satisfactory.

I also find the stock cable to be way to LONG...

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #426 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried this mod and like it best as well. I too have decided I need a new cable, this one's just too stiff. Warranty on $100.00 headphones is pretty much meaningless to me. We just need to discover which mini TRS jack will work well.

Please note my heavy sarcasm on the prevous post...

Well, the slimline mini from Markertek fits, but the ground post is incredibly fragile, as I popped it off just trying to spread the clinchers (good thing I got two)... gotta wait on Alex... <sigh>

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=11&sort=prod

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #427 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my God! I have voided the warranty... what to do now? I just wanted some plugs.

They have to do this to protect themselves. They have no way of knowing whether your replacement cable assembly is plutonium-free as the stock cable is. You plug in an unknown cable and anything could happen.
eek.gif

Quote:

Please note my heavy sarcasm on the prevous post

Likewise, I'm sure.
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #428 of 697
Quote:

Please note my heavy sarcasm on the prevous post...

Well, the slimline mini from Markertek fits, but the ground post is incredibly fragile, as I popped it off just trying to spread the clinchers (good thing I got two)... gotta wait on Alex... <sigh>

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=11&sort=prod

Oh I knew it was sarcasm Al. I had warrior05 shorten my cord, but the darn thing is just too stiff. When a good solution is found I'm sure the word will spread. I'm really liking these with the foam removed and the Beyer pads and foam in place, the cord will be the last fix for these. I've noticed lots of K81DJ's on the FS forums, and mine may end up there too.

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #429 of 697
I've been following this thread but I must have missed the nugget that the vinyl Beyers also include the foam, so I was pleasantly surprised when the package arrived today. OK, now this mod feels complete (or close to it). I hope Equation Audio is still monitoring this free R&D for RP-23.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #430 of 697
For those who ordered the Beyer Vinyl Pads, how long did it take for them to arrive. I removed the stock foam but the phones are a bit bright and im eager to see how the beyer foam does, as well as the thicker pads.

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #431 of 697
Update from my end: The sound is indeed getting progressively better as I've added probably another 40 hours. Nearly all of the fatigue that I was feeling before is gone, and I can listen to these for a few hours at a time before wanting them off. My only complaint right now is that my ears are pressing against the plastic on the inside, and that's not fun at all. Still haven't tried to see if I could slip just a little bit of foam around where my ears are touching (ended up getting distracted by the Orthodynamic threads...).

Still rolling sans-foam, but again I've been using digital correction to nuke sibilance and semi-obnoxious mids.

Still really happy with this purchase.

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #432 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who ordered the Beyer Vinyl Pads, how long did it take for them to arrive. I removed the stock foam but the phones are a bit bright and im eager to see how the beyer foam does, as well as the thicker pads.

Mine took about a week from date of order.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #433 of 697
Thanks, I think my order went through Thursday so it'll probably be another 5 days..

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #434 of 697
I've been using this really slim interconnect that I borrowed from my friend with my pair of RP-15MCs. It fits perfectly and is just the right length for portable use. I have no idea where it came from (asked my friend when I first borrowed it and he didn't know either) but I'm hoping my buddy will just forget about it so I don't have to give it back! I'm assuming an IC like this would work as a replacement cable for the 21s as well. If anybody would like to see a picture of this cable, I will be able to take some in about a week, maybe somebody can figure out where it came from.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #435 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed we do - I hope someone will post when finding it. I have tried some cables I had lying around, but none were really satisfactory.

I also find the stock cable to be way to LONG...

I remember reading that Ak[Zip] has made one that works and sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back