Epic jazz drumming albums?
Apr 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #46 of 78
Another favorite of mine.  Ronald Shannon Jackson, here with his Decoding Society.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #48 of 78
my personal fav....Billy Cobham, Drum and Voice

May 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #51 of 78
At the Village Vanguard; Coltrane, Elvin is just probably the greatest!

May 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #52 of 78
Hiromi Uehara, a pianist along the lines of Chick Corea, has a combo with a beast drummer. Not to mention Hiromi herself is out of this world. Check out her albums Time Control and Brain. Both are some of the best fusion albums I've heard, though Brain doesn't get quite as fusion-y as Time Control.

Here's a nice little sneak preview. Hopefully you get as hooked as I did. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR_rV-14luo&feature=related

She releases most of her albums on Hybrid SACD, if that makes a difference to you.

May 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #54 of 78
The drumming is good, but unfortunately the percussionist gets blown away by Hiromi's piano. I think I've just found a new fusion artist to listen to, thanks for that.

Quote:
Hiromi Uehara, a pianist along the lines of Chick Corea, has a combo with a beast drummer. Not to mention Hiromi herself is out of this world. Check out her albums Time Control and Brain. Both are some of the best fusion albums I've heard, though Brain doesn't get quite as fusion-y as Time Control.

Here's a nice little sneak preview. Hopefully you get as hooked as I did. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR_rV-14luo&feature=related

She releases most of her albums on Hybrid SACD, if that makes a difference to you.

May 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #55 of 78
Hiromi is from another planet. That Julliard planet. This is not stuff that you learn from just practicing. It's inherent.

May 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #56 of 78
The drummer I'm luvving right now is Brian Blade. Wayne Shorter does, too…here's a tiny taste…

May 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #59 of 78
I was reading through this thread and was surprised he wasn't mentioned yet, but then you came to the rescue. 

He's my favorite musician to see live right now. He comes to the Bay Area about a half dozen times per year, with his own Fellowship Band and as a sidemen for other guys (Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter). I make it a point to never miss him while he's in town. He's just so gosh-darn passionate with his drumming, it's hard not to get engaged.

Quote:
The drummer I'm luvving right now is Brian Blade. Wayne Shorter does, too…here's a tiny taste…

May 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #60 of 78
I agree - he is one of the hottest drummers on the current scene..and I mean that in MUSICALLY EXPRESSIVE terms..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back