Epic jazz drumming albums?
Dec 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #16 of 78
It's not strictly jazz per. se, but check out Jeff Beck's Performing This Week... Live at Ronnie Scott's album. There's sublime musicianship throughout with stellar drumming, courtesy of Vinnie Colaiuta; highly recommended.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #17 of 78
Mar 24, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 78
Shabazz has a lot of Cobham doing drumming out of the bag so to speak - the drums are more like a conductor in that piece - they are the center-stage of the music structurally. 

You could also check out his Mahavishnu Orchestra albums - BIrds of Fire being the classic but all the albums are important.

Other drummers: Alex Acuna, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Lenny White, Harvey Mason, Jack DeJohnette and of course, Max Roach and Tony Williams.

Williams in the second Miles Quartet - is a legend and all modern drumming comes from his innovations in that group from the 1960's....

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 78

Interstellar Space: John Coltrane on Tenor and Rashied Ali on drums. The drumming is unlike your typical approach to time, changes of the pulse are subjective and "free". The drumming is also extremely technically proficient and the duo format (not to mention Coltane's influence to push limits) just accentuates the talent. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #20 of 78
OH - Absolutely - that album is astonishing - though I love Elvin Jones - what Ali does in this album - I doubt Jones could ever touch...

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #21 of 78

Quote:
OH - Absolutely - that album is astonishing - though I love Elvin Jones - what Ali does in this album - I doubt Jones could ever touch...

Yes, though Jones and Ali are somewhat polar opposites when it comes to style so it's hard to compare. Heh not many drummers take that approach to drumming though it's almost antithetical to the more common approach. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #22 of 78
Here are a couple of samples of Cobham with Mahavishnu on good nights (were there any bad ones)?

Quote:
Shabazz has a lot of Cobham doing drumming out of the bag so to speak - the drums are more like a conductor in that piece - they are the center-stage of the music structurally. 

You could also check out his Mahavishnu Orchestra albums - BIrds of Fire being the classic but all the albums are important.

Other drummers: Alex Acuna, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Lenny White, Harvey Mason, Jack DeJohnette and of course, Max Roach and Tony Williams.

Williams in the second Miles Quartet - is a legend and all modern drumming comes from his innovations in that group from the 1960's....

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 78
Funny that you should say that - I feel the same way about early Cobham drumming especially with the MO - he plays from the guts...it's full of emotional and feeling

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #27 of 78
You should check out Milford Graves.  I think he's one of the best drummers around on a technical level though it is challenging music, which is exactly what he wants.  Though I am biased because I took some classes with him in school. 

When he was a youngen

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #28 of 78
The 2002 performance with NY Art Quartet - was brilliant. I was there - absolutely stunning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back