Epic jazz drumming albums?
Nov 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
What albums do you know of that have godly drumming throughout? I really want to hear that bass come through on my new sub, so I want to hear some frenetic, technical drumming. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 78
Definitely check out Billy Cobham: Spectrum  or even some others in his discography.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 78
If you can find the album "Gomez" by Eddie Gomez. It features a wonderful
combination of Eddie Gomez, Chic Corea and Steve Gadd. Here is a video
of a live version of one of the tracks.

You may want to also look for the Japanese group "soil and "pimp" sessions",
not trad jazz but some pretty fun music with the drums pretty upfront in the mix.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 78

Quote:
What albums do you know of that have godly drumming throughout? I really want to hear that bass come through on my new sub, so I want to hear some frenetic, technical drumming. Any recommendations? Thanks.

My favorites such as Max Roach, Art Blakey or Hamid Drake would not qualify as "frenetic, technical drumming".  If you are looking for some playing that is over the top you might want to check out Charly Antolini - In The Groove. IMHO there is some truly "frenetic, technical drumming" on many of these tracks.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 78
Checked out that Billy Cobham album last night(Spectrum) and oh my awesome! Tbh I'd never heard him before and well the keys on "To the women in my life" just blew me away, so serious thanks for that one folks!

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 78
My favorite jazz album to listen to for the drums is "The Way Up" by Pat Metheny. Antonio Sanchez is an amazing drummer. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 78
Art Blakey's "Free For All".  It'll take your head off.  Literally.  I mean, not literally.  That wouldn't be good.  The first two tracks on that record ("Free For All" and "Hammerhead").  And I love falis' recommendations -- thought I'd posted specifically RJS's "Mandance" and Jack DeJohnette's "Special Edition" earlier, but I guess not.  Try those.  Also just because you'd never heard Billy Cobham and like him, try the first two Mahavishnu Orchestra records (Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back