Entry Level Headphone Amp Suggestions?
Apr 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

seaskimmer

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just recently purchased my first set of high end headphones (AKG 701's from a head-fi user) and I was wondering on getting an amp to go along with it. I have looked around and with all the different stuff avaliable, I am unsure of what would be good.

I am looking to buy something in a <$200 price range as I am on a high school student budget and it can't be something huge that will take up 1/4 of my desk.
I am also wondering about the possibility of perhaps a DAC/amp combo too.

What I have been considering:
- Fiio E7 (possibly +E9)
- Presonus HP4
- Aune Mini DAC/Amp
- Headroom Total Bithead Dac/Amp

I am open to all suggestions :)

Thanks,
Dave

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Have you considered building an amp? The Bottlehead Crack sells for $200 and is an excellent value. It comes with all the parts, great instructions, and Bottlehead has a forum where you can get help. It'd be a much better value than anything you can buy for $200.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 14
I have not considered the idea of building an amp but I think the bottlehead would be great and all but a few concerns from reading through their site...
1) They don't mention any shipping details (I live in Canada and many electronic products just won't ship here)
2) They don't mention accepting paypal, the only method I have as I don't have a credit card.
3) Assembly required.<- I am just bad at assembling stuff, I have messed up Ikea stuff before.
4) $219 is almost stretching my budget.

Just out of curiosity, would you happen to know if the Bottlehead Crack would require soldering or is it just screws and non-soldering wires?

I am currently considering the Headroom Dac/Amp as I know that is a reputable company and it comes pre-assembled (bonus!). Would it be suitable for my uses and would it be able to support higher impedance headphones and even lower impedance IEMs?

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Crack requires soldering. There are really nice pictures showing where everything goes. Much better instructions than something that would come with an ikea desk or table. However, DIY requires a moderate investment in tools - soldering iron, solder, pliers, wire cutters, multimeter, and maybe a couple other things that would definitely bust your budget if you don't already have them.

In addition the OP's headphones are AKG 701s, which are only 62 ohm impedance. Bottlehead's Crack is an OTL amp so generally only works well with high impedance headphones (Bottlehead recommends greater than 100 ohm impedance).

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 14
I just got a Musical Paradise MP-302. It's an Amp/DAC and it drives my 80ohm DT770 pros to headache levels without distortion or clipping. Also it's cheap, 150 dollars shipped in canada. Skylab did a review testing it with some really high end headphones and he quite liked it. 

I don't have a lot of experience with amps, the only other amp I've had was a pa2v2, but I think this one is going to satisfy me for a while.

I'd give it a look.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 14
You might check out the Audinst Mx-1.  For $170 (shipping included), you get a much improved D/A converter (when compared to the typical internal soundcard), a modest amp that can push headphones with 16-300ohms, a 1/8" and 1/4" headphone connector, volume control, rca and optical output.

Do I understand what most of this means? Or better yet, did I understand what it meant when I bought it? Not particularly. But, for $170, it's hard to go wrong. Good luck....check out the reviews for it on these forums as well.

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for more feedback, I briefly searched up the Mx-1 and read some stuff about it and it seems to be a good amp. I will take it into consideration of stuff to look into in some more detail.

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 14
I have the E7/E9, and while I definitely have some gripes about it, it's a decent place to start.  It has a ton of power for the price and it's quite versatile, as you also end up with a DAC and a portable amp.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 14
I have heard very good things about the Audinst MX-1, seems to be pretty well regarded and works well as both an amp and DAC.  Probably would have tried one myself if I had found out about it earlier or had space for slightly large home setup.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 14
I actually have the Headroom Total Bithead and I'm loving it. I was looking at the same ones you are, and I decided that even though the FiiO had lots of good reviews, it still is a little FOTM. I went with Headroom, a long standing and trusted company for mine and haven't looked back.

Another plus, is that not only is it a good headphone amp and DAC, it also serves VERY nicely as a preamp for the desktop speakers I have. I highly recommend it. Also, the link you posted for ebay, I wouldn't use. It has the same price as Headroom themselves, and I would always go for getting it from the original manufacturer if its an option.

EDIT: I just got a chance to read all of your posts, and You asked about both high impedance headphones and IEM, and yes, it handles both wonderfully. It has a gain switch that allows for more or less power.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 14
I have used the Millett Starving Student Hybrid Tube amp with very good results. They aren't that difficult to find built on the Sales Forum for around $150. The Headroom Total Airhead doesn't have the juice to properly drove the 70x. The Headroom Micro Amp does though. Used on the Sales Forum they can be found for close to your budget.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 14
So I have basically narrowed my search down to either the Audinst Mx-1 or the Headroom Total Bithead.

One concern I have is, does the Mx-1 have an analog line in so I can use it with an ipod LOD or is it only compatible with a USB line in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back