Entry into headphones
Aug 12, 2012 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EvanW

New Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase my first "high end" set of cans. I listen to music pretty often, on the go and at my computer through Spotify, Pandora, and similar services. Since I want some kind of all around setup I would want a portable amplifier. My budget is no more than 200 for the whole setup. I listen to mostly Alternative (Coldplay, OneRepublic, The Fray, etc.) and some Rock (Green Day, Linkin Park, The Foo Fighters, etc.). So I don't know what kind of headphones those would sound the best on, since I don't know most of the sound terms, but I figure I might as well list them.  I have been reading around and have seen a few headphones that interest me, but figured I would ask some people that know a whole lot more than me :).

Here are the headphones I have been looking into:

Koss ProDJ100: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI

These are the one's I'm looking into the most, I have heard they have great vocals, which is great for the kind of music I listen to. I also like how you can switch from Stereo to Mono which would make it easy to listen with one ear off and one on when you want to be aware of what's around you.

Grado Prestige Series SR80i: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC

I have heard good things about the Grado headphones, so I added this to the list

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1344756575&sr=1-2

On sale for nearly half off at the moment, although the longer cable may be a pain I think I could deal with it

Shure SRH-440 http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU

Also have heard pretty good things about Shure. More options is better 

Any other suggestions are much appreciated. Also, I would want a portable amplifier with it. Which one would be best to keep the whole price under 200 bucks? And where would be a good place to buy all these things? Thanks!

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 8
I haven't had the chance to listen to any of these headphones so I can't help you there.  But for future reference, be careful of Amazon pricing, its a great service and all, but the prices on their products are misleading.  They often use the peak prices or release prices as their starting point, so everything looks like an amazing deal.  You should always practice your Google-fu.  Good luck on your adventure.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 8
The SR80i's seem like a great choice for your needs, they do however leak allot of noise. I'm not to knowlagble on amps but i have heard good things about the Fiio amps.
Tom.

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 8
Some of these are more suitable for on the go and others for home. The M50 is a legendary portable while the open-backed Grado has zero isolation so wouldn't be suitable for the outdoors. Consider whether you listen more out and about or at home.

If the answer is, "more on the go" then have a look at the Portable Headphones and IEMs subforum.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 8
I went with a set of the Shure SRH750DJ"s over the Shure SRH440's. You can also look towards the SRH840's for that price. There is an authorized Shure dealer on eBay. I got my 750's for $110 shipped authorized and confirmed by Shure. I amp them with a Fiio E11.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 8
for a busy environment especially if you dont want to be bothered by the activities around you or bother other people near you grado is not a good option. it leaks like a mini speaker. plus its on the brighter side of sound, where most alterrnative music right now sound kind of bright on its own, so grado might be a pain..

I say go for the pro dj100... its a nice all rounder, or the m50 for a safer choice.. both are good all rounders. may I suggest the Shure srh750dj it has a nice vocal too and less drier sounding compared to m50.

cheers,

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 8
for a busy environment especially if you dont want to be bothered by the activities around you or bother other people near you grado is not a good option. it leaks like a mini speaker. plus its on the brighter side of sound, where most alterrnative music right now sound kind of bright on its own, so grado might be a pain..

I say go for the pro dj100... its a nice all rounder, or the m50 for a safer choice.. both are good all rounders. may I suggest the Shure srh750dj it has a nice vocal too and less drier sounding compared to m50.

cheers,

all right, so between the Dj100s, the M50s, the SRH750Djs, and the SRH440s really any would be a pretty good choice for me? Also, are the E7, E11, and E17 worth the extra money over the E6 when amping a sub-200 dollar set of headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back