Enter in Poll for your vote on my future headphones.
Sep 26, 2011 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Player1josh46

100+ Head-Fier
For the 10th time my preference is mid/vocals forward and clear. Good deep bass(not overpowering and doesn't have to be alot of it. I like quality over quantity unless there is almost non in terms of quantity.) Non sibilant or fatiguing highs.  most songs 320kbps and some 256-192kbps. 

I'm doing this because I've got multiple people giving me different suggestions. Thanks Everybody.

Genres: Classical, Movie Scores, Rock, Pop, Electronic, Alternative, Rap, Acoustic, Hip-hop, and some of everything else.

Source: iTouch 4g and EQu app. most songs are 320 kbps but some are 256kbps to 192kbps. 

Would be using them for regular listening. Mostly at home but would be preferred if they were a little portable.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 7
If you want isolation (since you're thinking portable) and like quality low end, I will throw the Senn PX 360 out there.

You can check my impressions on the link below in my signature.  I ended up selling it back just because it didn't fit my specific preference for what I was looking for, but it did a couple of things really well:

1) Low end response was rich, impactful, and surprisingly did not bleed into the low mids at all.
2) Built like tanks. Seriously.
3) Small, and very portable when they folded up into the bag. Very lightweight.
4) Isolation was one of the best passive sets I've heard.
5) Really easy to drive (I noticed you're not using a separate amp)

It sounds funny to say this, but the low mids were a little more contained than what I was looking for (look at me be hypocritical with my Shure 940s).  The mids in the PX360 are not as forward as they are in both my SRH940 and SP-1... that would be my only caution.  They are not recessed though!

Happy to answer questions

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Also, of your poll options, the SRH940 is the one that doesn't seem to belong.  This is just IMO, but the Fischer and 840 are more closely related than the 940 is to either of them.

That's a very lightweight two cents though, as I have only had brief encounters with the 840 and Fischer

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Ah but you see the 940 are also more expensive than the other 2 headphones. I held the 840s in my hand at GC(couldn't listen to them though) and to be honest, I wasn't complaining about the size as I was about the feel of it. When I folded it up the springs caught and pinched my finger and  also the wires that protrude out of it are kinda annoying. Now I won't judge it by that, as I have never listened to it. The fa003s have been getting lots of buzz but 2 problems for me(well perhaps 3). Again can't judge from this cause have not listened.

1. They look comfortable and also pretty big(again portability)

2. I don't like 2 wired cables personally.

3. Can't find them anywhere.

Now the 940s are what I am jumping on now. They are more expensive and therefore one would assume they are better than the other 2(of course this is untrue: Beats are good example) but from what I see you are saying that the 940s don't belong in the poll because they are on another level than the 840s or FA-003s. I'm not calling you stupid and correct me if this isn't the case, but that's just what it seems to me. Thanks.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Now the 940s are what I am jumping on now. They are more expensive and therefore one would assume they are better than the other 2(of course this is untrue: Beats are good example) but from what I see you are saying that the 940s don't belong in the poll because they are on another level than the 840s or FA-003s. I'm not calling you stupid and correct me if this isn't the case, but that's just what it seems to me. Thanks.

So why did you start the poll?  It seems to me that you have your heart set on the SRH940 - so go ahead and get them.  At least that way you'll know one way or the other.  And if it works out that they aren't what you're looking for - you can always sell them, and have gained experience along the way.

The 840's and the FA-003s are both reasonably balanced across the spectrum.  The 940s on the other hand are very coloured towards the mids / upper-mids / highs.

If the 940's are going to be your only headphone - your ears will likely adjust anyway (brain burn-in).  But my experience - owning the SRH840, MS1i and DT880 - there was something simply "off" compared to all of the other cans I had.  I hope this makes sense.  The SRH940 stick out in this poll because they are very different from the other 2 cans.  Not because they are better.  In a choice between the more expensive 940 vs it's little brother the 840, I'd take the 840 in a heart-beat.  But that's just me.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

The 840's and the FA-003s are both reasonably balanced across the spectrum.  The 940s on the other hand are very coloured towards the mids / upper-mids / highs.

This.  What does "better" mean anyways?  I can't tell you that A is better than B, for that is subjectively up to you.  I can only say why A and B differ from my experiences - and if you notice I do almost ALL of my comparisons with relativity to something else.

My goal is to help you decide what is best based on my experiences.

If anything, what I meant by that comment was to decided between the 840 and Fischer and then pit the winner against the 940, seeing as the 840/Fischer are similar.

My recommendation for you to at least take a look at the PX 360 still stands. It was a solid performer for what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back