ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Jan 31, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #1,126 of 1,237
Heard it today and there are some things I liked but its not a headphone for me. I knew the instant I put it on my head. The electret driver is pretty speedy and when placed an inch away from your ear you can really tell it has one job to do and its very quick to get the job done. Zingy is the word I came up with for it if that means anything lol. The problem I had with it that I noticed as soon as I put it on my head was that I could tell the two drivers were interacting with one another. No its no in a time alignemt way or even crossover kind of way and I truly don't know how to describe it but its as if the electret wasn't prone to any standing waves but was rather rinsing off the air it was replacing with music down into the bath of the dynamic drivers causing a turbulence . also I thought it reminded me of a some old and bright speakers out of my dad's old truck when not driven right

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #1,127 of 1,237
Noticed Inner Fidelity gave it a pretty tepid review. Those that own the Dharma-any thoughts on his review?

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,128 of 1,237
  Noticed Inner Fidelity gave it a pretty tepid review. Those that own the Dharma-any thoughts on his review?

True.  However, if you have not already done so, please also check out Innerfidelity's Big Sound 2015.  Overall, the Dharma fared pretty well in the final rankings.

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,129 of 1,237

I think Tyll liked them but didn't love them.  Like any headphone, we all have our own preferences.  Just the fact that he reviewed it is a good sign - I believe he won't review if he dislikes a headphone.  As Blake said, Big Sound actually liked them a lot - think that was Bob Katz (?) and not Tyll. 

That said, as an owner since November, I like them a lot.  Don't hear the bass distortion that shows up in his testing  so not sure what that's about but I'm also not a graph disciple or worry about waterfall plots, square wave measurements - none of it.  I let my ears decide.  In the end, I learned from the HD800 that other folks opinions and/or graphs mean little to me. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,131 of 1,237
Anyone with the Dharmas by chance have the Sennheiser HD600 as well? What are some of the major differences besides the price. I have the Dharmas right now (loaned to me) but was thinking of picking up the HD600.

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,132 of 1,237
Just a friendly reminder to those on TVJ's Dharma loaner program that you promised to post a review in exchange for the opportunity to try out the Dharma.

Looking at the list of loaner program participants, it seems we have a number of members that still need to post the promised reviews.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #1,133 of 1,237
  Just a friendly reminder to those on TVJ's Dharma loaner program that you promised to post a review in exchange for the opportunity to try out the Dharma.

Looking at the list of loaner program participants, it seems we have a number of members that still need to post the promised reviews.

+1

btw I will be sending this loaner out tomorrow evening. 

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,134 of 1,237
Listened to the Dharma a little bit this morning, for the first time. There is a quality that has been mentioned a few times and one I consider particularly important: immersiveness. The Dharma is very, very immersive. I don't know what accounts for this attribute, except to say that it's terrific when present and leaves me wanting when it isn't.

The bass is a little thick and bloomy, which I actually like. More articulate than I expected too. The midrange is tastefully present and the treble has a crystalline quality to it, but can get painfully splashy with the wrong recording. The speed is top-tier and the soundstage is wide, open and airy. I don't hear anything disjointed or any crossover points. Coming from the Grado HP1, which I've been listening to a lot, the Dharma is more resolving, but less neutral (isn't everything?). Coming from the HE1000, the Dharma is more involving, but likely cannot match for technicalities. This is from a short (less than 2 hour) session, but I am definitely awakened and looking forward to spending time with it.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,135 of 1,237
  Listened to the Dharma a little bit this morning, for the first time. There is a quality that has been mentioned a few times and one I consider particularly important: immersiveness. The Dharma is very, very immersive. I don't know what accounts for this attribute, except to say that it's terrific when present and leaves me wanting when it isn't.

The bass is a little thick and bloomy, which I actually like. More articulate than I expected too. The midrange is tastefully present and the treble has a crystalline quality to it, but can get painfully splashy with the wrong recording. The speed is top-tier and the soundstage is wide, open and airy. I don't hear anything disjointed or any crossover points. Coming from the HP1000, which I've been listening to a lot, the Dharma is more resolving, but less neutral (isn't everything?). Coming from the HE1000, the Dharma is more involving, but likely cannot match for technicalities. This is from a short (less than 2 hour) session, but I am definitely awakened and looking forward to spending time with it.

Glad to see they got there Eric. i see  you still have the Decware amp.,. let Wei know they arrived safely.

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,136 of 1,237
I actually found the Dharma to have good treble texture and solidity. Splashiness imo is a combination of thin texture, weak transient response, and boosted highs. The Dharma has only the boost and a slightly odd timbre up there but I thought it's treble was a good aspect of it.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #1,137 of 1,237
I actually found the Dharma to have good treble texture and solidity. Splashiness imo is a combination of thin texture, weak transient response, and boosted highs. The Dharma has only the boost and a slightly odd timbre up there but I thought it's treble was a good aspect of it.

What were you using to drive the Dharma? I've read on here they pair well with Mojo, but I'm curious to see what else people are using to drive them.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,139 of 1,237
How is the Dharma's efficiency in comparison to the HD800 ?

I've had to resort to using Rothwell In-Line Attentuators into my Fosgate Sig, Tube Headphone Amp from my
Metrum Hex DAC to get a more Analog type of volume control when listening to wide dynamic music (largely
Orchestral) through my straight wired ,highly modded HD800. I've been pretty surprised at the lack of sonic
"Footprint" these Attentuators (other then the gain decrease) seem to be making.

I'm wondering if the Dharma's have any of the lack of inner detail deficiencies that my HD800 had (before I removed the Ring Radiator parts from them) ? For as much I'm enjoying 'my' HD800 currently it could use a touch of some more lower midrange/ upper bass warmth to go along with the recording generated Soundstaging they're now capable of. I think the high frequency extension of the HD800 may have been a misguided design feature as any information up that high really doesn't show up as "more clarity"

I'd appreciate any comments on the Dharma's from those who are listening predominantly to Acoustic music through them. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,140 of 1,237
@knowwhatimean:

OT, but I was looking at the Rothwell Attenuators, it seems most believe they make no or very little sonic impact, whereas I read another review that seemed to indicate they change the sound quite a bit (taking away highs).  Did you compare the Rothwell's versus attenuation in software (through iTunes or other audio software)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back