ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Oct 18, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #616 of 1,237

Tbh I did come away with doubts over the bass control and treble inconsistencies after hearing them, but I had reservations whether it was the headphones or the rig. One can never know when there are multiple variables.

I liked the headphones overall though. None of them are perfect really are they.

It was the headphones. Or rather, they just sounded weird. It was a preproduction model and apparently the treble sisues have been resolved in the production model.
All I've heard at least but I agree the pair they had sounded weird and that was supposedly resolved with production models :]

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #618 of 1,237
It was the headphones. Or rather, they just sounded weird. It was a preproduction model and apparently the treble sisues have been resolved in the production model.
All I've heard at least but I agree the pair they had sounded weird and that was supposedly resolved with production models :]

The vendor guy couldnt say for sure how old the model was. But if that was the flawed pre-prod model it's very good news cause I could not hear many issues .. the very noisy ambient made it quite hard but still, no big problems. And e.g. the he1k issues were audible in the same environment.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #619 of 1,237
  a few bits and pieces on the other threads about the dharma - so far positive - im excited !!!

Yes, I want to hear more about the Dharma as relates to metal (and other genres) as more feedback becomes available. LCD killer?

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #620 of 1,237
  Are You In Paris today ?

I heard the Dharma and I was very impressed . 
What a fantastic moment I had with SRV - Tan pin alley . 

Wow! Tin can alley STILL being used as sample! (I'll ignore your typo!)
I used to use this as a 'play it VERY loud' track on my Klipschorns in the....80s!
Not sure it's ideal for seeking out nuances of equipment though as it's such a clean, sparse sound-impressive though it is!
RIP Stevie ray.

i think music with percussion or voice -the ear/brain is tuned to voice complexities.
I use Radio Tarifa 'Baile de Almut' as I know the subtleties.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #621 of 1,237
I was able to hear the Dharma at the Questyle gig in Torrance over the weekend. Unfortunately it was with some noise around me and with an amp I was not familiar with. I didn't really hear anything totally out of place, but take that with a grain of salt.

I was able to talk to the rep for awhile,and he's great to talk to. If you ever see the guy at a show, don't hesitate to ask questions.

He did let on that there were production samples in reviewer's possessions. Those reviews should be coming sooner rather than later. And a release date would be as well. I don't know it, so don't ask me. The company plans to stay in the headphone space as much as they can.You can interpret that as you like. If you have a chance to listen to these, do so. Considering what pricing is for decent phones, it is at least worth the listen. They supposedly spent the last few weeks working on the fit of the headphone as the sound was already settled. Seems like they do check out the internet for feedback. I do wish them luck.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #622 of 1,237
If they are checking for feedback, I think fit can be improved. I recall it being a completely self-adjusting headband, but may want to look into ensuring that the range that it spans covers people with smaller headphones or really large heads.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #623 of 1,237
I was able to hear the Dharma at the Questyle gig in Torrance over the weekend. Unfortunately it was with some noise around me and with an amp I was not familiar with. I didn't really hear anything totally out of place, but take that with a grain of salt.

I was able to talk to the rep for awhile,and he's great to talk to. If you ever see the guy at a show, don't hesitate to ask questions.

He did let on that there were production samples in reviewer's possessions. Those reviews should be coming sooner rather than later. And a release date would be as well. I don't know it, so don't ask me. The company plans to stay in the headphone space as much as they can.You can interpret that as you like. If you have a chance to listen to these, do so. Considering what pricing is for decent phones, it is at least worth the listen. They supposedly spent the last few weeks working on the fit of the headphone as the sound was already settled. Seems like they do check out the internet for feedback. I do wish them luck.

Please....everybody who has heard it.....say that it sounds FANTASTIC! Say it is perfect and nothing needs to be changed!

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #624 of 1,237
If they are checking for feedback, I think fit can be improved. I recall it being a completely self-adjusting headband, but may want to look into ensuring that the range that it spans covers people with smaller headphones or really large heads.

A big +1!
Not sure what Dharma version I tried but the headband surely had some room for improvements. Good sound though, better than expected.

And no worries Beagle, they are fantastically perfect .. sleep tight :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #625 of 1,237
I have listened to two (2) of the "finished versions" of the Dharma D1000, one with upgraded cabling and one with standard cables. I enjoyed both headphones very much.

With that said, I am convinced they will only be released to the public concurrently with the appearance of the Messiah
wink_face.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #626 of 1,237
I've been watching the accounts Dharma really eagerly, this looks like a nice set! I am really looking to purchase a new set of over the ear headphones. I currently use primarily at home Sennheiser HD 595 which I love for their warmth, but I find them lacking in clarity compared to the Shure SE215 IEMs which I use elsewhere. I'd really like something with a lot of definition/detail, imaging and apparent soundstage. Bass doesn't need to be massive particularly. Any recommendations? I am thinking of paring with an Oppo HA-1 pre-amp and DAC. My current consideration ranking is:

- ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
- MrSpeakers ETHER Open Planar Magnetic Headphone
- oppo pm-1/pm-2
- beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen
- KOSS ESP 950
- Philips X2/27 Fidelio Premium Headphones, Black (essentially for cost/performance ratio)
- Sennheiser HD 800 Over-Ear Circum-Aural Dynamic Headphone

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #627 of 1,237
  With that said, I am convinced they will only be released to the public concurrently with the appearance of the Messiah
wink_face.gif

Bruce Springsteen?
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #629 of 1,237
Oct 30, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #630 of 1,237
Received the Dharma from TTVJ's audition program yesterday and spent a couple of hours with them last night. 

Very impressed with them, coming from a HD800/HE-400/LA7000.  This may be my new all time favorite but I'm being careful the "new toy syndrome" isn't at play here.  As a reference point, I fed them from my vintage Pioneer Spec rack system from  1978. 

Bass is exactly what I want in a headphone - ample sub and mid bass with no boominess.  Treble, as I guess would be expected, is clearly the most outstanding aspect of this headphone to me.  I'm no treble head and the cymbal crashes are as real, clear and shimmery as I've ever heard.  Mids/vocals are outstanding as well.

More to come as I spend my week with them - but first impressions are very promising.  Better than the Ether audition I had, and I think I prefer them to my HD800 because of the bass (recovering basshead here). Comfort is excellent as well and clamp is perfect to me (I recall some pre-production units were "loose" if I remember right).  Love the suspension style and the pads are just right.

More to come gents. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back