ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Oct 30, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #631 of 1,237
Oct 31, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #633 of 1,237

So I guess it's end of November now?
etysmile.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #634 of 1,237
Any comparisons to the LCD-3f, X?

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #635 of 1,237
  Received the Dharma from TTVJ's audition program yesterday and spent a couple of hours with them last night. 

Very impressed with them, coming from a HD800/HE-400/LA7000.  This may be my new all time favorite but I'm being careful the "new toy syndrome" isn't at play here.  As a reference point, I fed them from my vintage Pioneer Spec rack system from  1978. 

Bass is exactly what I want in a headphone - ample sub and mid bass with no boominess.  Treble, as I guess would be expected, is clearly the most outstanding aspect of this headphone to me.  I'm no treble head and the cymbal crashes are as real, clear and shimmery as I've ever heard.  Mids/vocals are outstanding as well.

More to come as I spend my week with them - but first impressions are very promising.  Better than the Ether audition I had, and I think I prefer them to my HD800 because of the bass (recovering basshead here). Comfort is excellent as well and clamp is perfect to me (I recall some pre-production units were "loose" if I remember right).  Love the suspension style and the pads are just right.

More to come gents. 

Well, you hit all the right cues for me...

I'm still still loving bass, but it can't over power the rest of the presentation and seem too boomy or muddy. What's your take on the Dharma's bass vs. your LA7000s? Or vs. a stock D7000, if you've heard them.

And those vintage Pioneer amps, man do I ever want to get one. You've got 3, and all 3 are grails. How long have you owned them and what're their conditions? 

And thanks for sharing more as your week long trial finishes up. Very much looking forward to it, especially if you get any change to compare them to any other headphones.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #637 of 1,237
I'm curious how the Dharma will compare to the other flagships in a similar price range for classical? Soundstage compared to the LCD line, HE 560, Ether, etc. Thoughts?

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #638 of 1,237
I'm curious how the Dharma will compare to the other flagships in a similar price range for classical? Soundstage compared to the LCD line, HE 560, Ether, etc. Thoughts?
they aren't even out yet. Any thoughts would be speculation. Wait for reviews

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #639 of 1,237

If soundstage doesn't change from pre-production, definitely bigger stage than LCDs and 560. I've never heard the ether. pretty similar to AKG K7XX stage, for example. I doubt anything done in production will change the soundstage. it is a very physically open headphone.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #640 of 1,237
  Well, you hit all the right cues for me...

I'm still still loving bass, but it can't over power the rest of the presentation and seem too boomy or muddy. What's your take on the Dharma's bass vs. your LA7000s? Or vs. a stock D7000, if you've heard them.

And those vintage Pioneer amps, man do I ever want to get one. You've got 3, and all 3 are grails. How long have you owned them and what're their conditions? 

And thanks for sharing more as your week long trial finishes up. Very much looking forward to it, especially if you get any change to compare them to any other headphones.

I did a bit of A/B today with the LA7000's...............and as much as I love my Denons (own all three and plan on keeping them for the duration) the Dharma sounds like a step up. 

Oh, and I have 6 vintage Pioneer amps.....................Spec system, SX-1050, SA-9900, SA-8800 and SA-7500MKII..............most have been two years in my stable except the 8800 I picked up earlier this year.   It's a sickness like headphone collecting..................can't just have ONE................or SIX.  Anyway, love them all for what they do.  I'll say one thing - the higher the wattage the better sound to my ears, even though headphones.  Just seems to have more oomph when you get up over 80 wpc.

More to come in the next few days.   Liking what I am hearing - a lot. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #641 of 1,237

I did a bit of A/B today with the LA7000's...............and as much as I love my Denons (own all three and plan on keeping them for the duration) the Dharma sounds like a step up. 

Oh, and I have 6 vintage Pioneer amps.....................Spec system, SX-1050, SA-9900, SA-8800 and SA-7500MKII..............most have been two years in my stable except the 8800 I picked up earlier this year.   It's a sickness like headphone collecting..................can't just have ONE................or SIX.  Anyway, love them all for what they do.  I'll say one thing - the higher the wattage the better sound to my ears, even though headphones.  Just seems to have more oomph when you get up over 80 wpc.

More to come in the next few days.   Liking what I am hearing - a lot. 

How do they compare to your HD800? Are they close in sq? I ask because I am in search of a complimentary headphone for my 800s, something less analytical.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #642 of 1,237
I just had the privilege of getting to play with the Dharma for a month, straight from Canjam RMAF.

This is my "if you had to pick only one headphone to take to a desert island", headphone. 
smile.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #643 of 1,237
  I just had the privilege of getting to play with the Dharma for a month, straight from Canjam RMAF.

This is my "if you had to pick only one headphone to take to a desert island", headphone. 
smile.gif

The hype train is really leaving the station now.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #644 of 1,237
i dont know but.... Odin is too high price for me , HEK also, Stax TOTL is out of question, HE x is an unknown of the same price probably than the Dharma, and no other headphone seems to engender a universal interest among audiophile...I wait reviews... It seems  they are on the same league that these other TOTL headphones for around 30 % of their price (except the HEX)....
atsmile.gif
popcorn.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #645 of 1,237
  i dont know but.... Odin is too high price for me , HEK also, Stax TOTL is out of question, HE x is an unknown of the same price probably than the Dharma, and no other headphone seems to engender a universal interest among audiophile...I wait reviews... It seems  they are on the same league that these other TOTL headphones for around 30 % of their price (except the HEX)....
atsmile.gif
popcorn.gif

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. There are really only a couple of high priced TOTL offerings, the HE-1000 by Hifiman and the LCD4 by Audeze. Other than those, the HE-X is an unknown of about $1800 price, and there is the Beyerdynamic T1v2, and the only TOTL worth of its status (IMO) is the undefeated HD800.

At $1200, the Dharma is really trying to compete in the $1000+ headphones range which includes the likes of LCD-2 and LCD-3 and LCD-X, as well as the HD800 and the AKG K812 and the Beyerdynamic T1v2. I think Dharma can carve out its own little niche among these headphones due to its unique and polarizing sound signature and sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back