ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Aug 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #466 of 1,237

I'll take some and pass them along here...  there are lots of shots out there, some of the very units I have... is there something in particular you are wanting to see?

Thanks! I'm not really looking for anything particular, it's just that most of the images I've seen the concept images, early prototypes, or a pair sitting on someone's head :) It'd just be kind of fun to see how the current prototype is looking

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #467 of 1,237
I feel like people are blowing the treble "issue" out of proportion. All of us that heard it were using the exact same pair of headphones. If there was an issue with that one particular unit then it's no surprise many would hear hear it and talk mention it around the same time.
and it's seems that the few people who spent more time and gave a bit more detail as to what they experienced didn't mention it. Really looking forward to this phone.

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #468 of 1,237
When you say the bass could be tighter (forgive my poetic license), does it have plenty of bass? 

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #469 of 1,237
  When you say the bass could be tighter (forgive my poetic license), does it have plenty of bass? 

it's got all kinds of bass.. that's not an issue... it's just that in comparison to the insane clarity of the super tweeter, the bass is a bit fuzzier sounding... not bloated or boomy and completely without control and detail...it's very good...in fact, there were a couple tracks I played yesterday where it actually had real physical impact like a home speaker would invoke.... I've had very very few experiences ever like that with a headphone setup (which is why I still prefer regular home stereo listening over head-fi listening)....  it's just not as clear and detailed as the treble...  

trying to think of an analogy that would convey properly...  if you had two exact electric bass lines playing on a track, you can distinguish the quality of the bass, but maybe not that there is two layers of the same instrument in the mix... you'd need it to be a bit cleaner to be able to differentiate the subtleties and hear further into the mix.... it's not one notey or lacking pitch, definition, etc.. but it can be a bit better as I've heard better....but that usually came at the expense of something else in the overall sound of the speaker or headphone in question.... it's just not as clear as a bell as the treble...  make sense??

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #470 of 1,237
  I'd like to see the pads, so I can judge depth. or if you could measure the depth, that would be excellent! I dunno if they're angled or not.

Also, what kind of signature do you like? 
smily_headphones1.gif

I look forward to finally hear these at CanJam London, hopefully 
biggrin.gif

I got some technical specs from ENIGMAcoustics a bit ago on the ear cup measurements as I had the same questions for myself until I could see them in the flesh... now that I have, I know they are just fine for my purposes and fit around my big dumbo ears and fit my supersized melon just fine..  their measurements are likely to be trusted more than my less precise measuring skills :)

ear pad dimensions (slightly asymmetric/not round):
Hole height – 60mm
Hole depth – 46mm
Overall height (from top to bottom) – 103mm

I'll try to get some better photos this evening....

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #471 of 1,237
  it's got all kinds of bass.. that's not an issue... it's just that in comparison to the insane clarity of the super tweeter, the bass is a bit fuzzier sounding... not bloated or boomy and completely without control and detail...it's very good...in fact, there were a couple tracks I played yesterday where it actually had real physical impact like a home speaker would invoke.... I've had very very few experiences ever like that with a headphone setup (which is why I still prefer regular home stereo listening over head-fi listening)....  it's just not as clear and detailed as the treble...  

trying to think of an analogy that would convey properly...  if you had two exact electric bass lines playing on a track, you can distinguish the quality of the bass, but maybe not that there is two layers of the same instrument in the mix... you'd need it to be a bit cleaner to be able to differentiate the subtleties and hear further into the mix.... it's not one notey or lacking pitch, definition, etc.. but it can be a bit better as I've heard better....but that usually came at the expense of something else in the overall sound of the speaker or headphone in question.... it's just not as clear as a bell as the treble...  make sense??

Makes sense!  Thank you for the feedback.  It is appreciated. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #472 of 1,237
  I'd like to see the pads, so I can judge depth. or if you could measure the depth, that would be excellent! I dunno if they're angled or not. Also, what kind of signature do you like? 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I look forward to finally hear these at CanJam London, hopefully 
biggrin.gif

earcup dimensions (esp depth) measurements please! relative similiar headphones in terms of sound sig would also be helpful. thanks!

edit just saw your post. thxs. assuming the earpads are not angled? what material are the earpads made of?

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #473 of 1,237
I got some technical specs from ENIGMAcoustics a bit ago on the ear cup measurements as I had the same questions for myself until I could see them in the flesh... now that I have, I know they are just fine for my purposes and fit around my big dumbo ears and fit my supersized melon just fine..  their measurements are likely to be trusted more than my less precise measuring skills :)

ear pad dimensions (slightly asymmetric/not round):

Hole height – 60mm

Hole depth – 46mm

Overall height (from top to bottom) – 103mm

I'll try to get some better photos this evening....

That depth seems really good!
Thanks

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #474 of 1,237
How does the Headstage compare to the HD800s? Does the Dharma come with a balanced cable?

I really appreciate your write-up!!!

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #475 of 1,237
I feel like people are blowing the treble "issue" out of proportion. All of us that heard it were using the exact same pair of headphones. If there was an issue with that one particular unit then it's no surprise many would hear hear it and talk mention it around the same time.
and it's seems that the few people who spent more time and gave a bit more detail as to what they experienced didn't mention it. Really looking forward to this phone.

Yeah, The comments I have read since have mostly confirmed my suspicion that it was a specific defect with the Dharma at the Chicago meet. However, I still think the bass and mids have a lot of grain for a $1,200 flagship. It's hard not to notice it next to the treble, which is clear as a bell.

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #477 of 1,237
I thought I read where this is the headphone that was at the Chicago meet back on the 8th.

you are correct in that these are the same headphone production sample units that were in Chicago... I tried for a little bit today to try to replicate the "glitch"... maybe I'm hearing it and calling it something else... maybe I'm missing it entirely... I don't have the same music samples to do a 1 to 1 comparison.....  I can find the crossover point between cone driver and the tweeter easily enough with music, with test track sweeps its even easier (but then I can do that on lots of other stuff easily enough... too many years designing my own speakers I guess....ENIGMAcoustics did a better job with wildly disparate driver types than other manufacturers I've got experience with, especially given it is right on top of your ears and has nowhere to hide....as opposed to 15 feet away on a speaker)..... 

anyways, I'll try to hear it if I get some time on Sunday with them... today they are likely to be occupied by others at the meet...and I left them with the meet host this past evening so he could have some extra listening time in private before the meet today....  I'll get more head time with them and try to answer other questions raised here in replies then... sorry for the delay....

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #478 of 1,237
I got a loaner pair of these in today for the 8/22 Denver CO meet that I'm organizing (big thanks to ENIGMAcoustics for providing it). The Raleigh NC meet that's also tomorrow is also slated to have a pair, so a number of meet impressions should be coming over the weekend!

I've already put in some listening, and am listening as I write this. Gotta say, they sound really good! They're very clear-sounding, which I like, and have a great rhythmic drive to them as well. The first thing I played was Massive Attack's Blue Lines and they sounded great on "Safe From Harm" and "Daydreaming", which I wouldn't have expected from such clear-sounding headphones.

They definitely sound good enough that ENIGMAcoustics has a guaranteed purchase from me in the future. With the right source & amp (which I'm not sure my current gear is, which is a Garage1217 Project Polaris and Schiit Modi 2 Uber), I can foresee using these for a variety of my favorite genres, like classical, bluegrass/folk, electronica/trip-hop, and some pop/rock.

I also have a loaner MrSpeakers Ether in-house for the meet tomorrow as well, if there are any specific questions let me know and I'll try to get them answered. Edit: please ask questions in this thread, not via PM. Sorry but I won't answer any questions via PM, as it's likely that multiple people could have the same question.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #479 of 1,237
I got a loaner pair of these in today for the 8/22 Denver CO meet that I'm organizing (big thanks to ENIGMAcoustics for providing it). The Raleigh NC meet that's also tomorrow is also slated to have a pair, so a number of meet impressions should be coming over the weekend!

I've already put in some listening, and am listening as I write this. Gotta say, they sound really good! They're very clear-sounding, which I like, and have a great rhythmic drive to them as well. The first thing I played was Massive Attack's Blue Lines and they sounded great on "Safe From Harm" and "Daydreaming", which I wouldn't have expected from such clear-sounding headphones.

They definitely sound good enough that ENIGMAcoustics has a guaranteed purchase from me in the future. With the right source & amp (which I'm not sure my current gear is, which is a Garage1217 Project Polaris and Schiit Modi 2 Uber), I can foresee using these for a variety of my favorite genres, like classical, bluegrass/folk, electronica/trip-hop, and some pop/rock.

I also have a loaner MrSpeakers Ether in-house for the meet tomorrow as well, if there are any specific questions let me know and I'll try to get them answered.

Thanks.
I wonder how do they compare signature wise?
Which one is more forgiving, which is is harsher?
Which is smoother in the treble, which has more air and better extension?
How does the bass compare? Which is punchier/more impactful, which is tighter, which has more linear extension, how do they compare in subbass?
Appreciate it :)

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #480 of 1,237
Asr do you think you'll eventually do a review of these? Your reviews of LCD-X, TH900, SR-507 (and the comparisons of each to the SR-007) were extremely helpful, and I found that my impressions largely matched yours, so I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the Dharma. Also, I'm under the impression that you no longer have any e-stats, but from memory, how would you say the Dharma compares to STAX, the 007 in particular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back