ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Jan 12, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 1,237
Nothing can substitute for hearing a headphone yourself (ideally in your own system) [insert beating dead horse symbol here], but the endorsements by Scott Hull and particularly Tyll, are encouraging.

The company's Sopranino super tweeter and Mythology M1 speakers have been well reviewed as well.  There was quite a bit of skepticism about the Sopranino, but numerous reviews indicate the super tweeter really does work as advertised.

I am very excited for the release of the Dharma.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 1,237
   [insert beating dead horse symbol here]

You mean this? 
deadhorse.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #18 of 1,237
...exactly, for some reason I thought it would be more humorous to refer to the symbol in words.  Sort of unlike Prince.

I figured if I posted about Tyll and Scot liking it, without the qualification, someone would flog me. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 1,237
I contacted ENIGMAcoustics and they confirmed the following:

1. The Dharma retail price will be $1,200.

2. The Dharma is being targeted for release sometime during Q2 of this year.  They will exhibit the Dharma at the CanJam SoCal in Costa Mesa, California, March 28-29.

3.  The Dharma does not require a special amplifier.  Any competently designed amp will work.

4.  The new ENIGMAcoustics Athena A1 single-ended triode headphone amp will retail for $1,500.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 1,237
Also very intrigued with these headphones ...
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #22 of 1,237

The xo point kinda has to be high because of the Dharma's design, which is using the electrostatic driver as a supertweeter, which means that it should have a pretty flat FR well beyond 20kHz (a first for any over-the-ear headphone, I think). 

Another benefit is that almost all of the tweeter's output and sonic signature will be above 10kHz, well above 2-5kHz range where our ears are the most sensitive, so the xo point should be nearly undetectable.

Also, if the xo point was lower, the lower frequencies would begin to modulate/distort the tweeter more and more as the volume level was increased.

Some of the early rumors about Sony's possible upcoming flagship have hinted that it might also be a similar 2-way design. 
wink.gif

Agreed, it definitely simplifies the equation... and reflects the fact that they create super tweeters.

However, somehow in my mind, I'd love to have it be more like a martin logan.  Electrostatic through to the bass, and dynamic there.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #23 of 1,237
  I contacted ENIGMAcoustics and they confirmed the following:

1. The Dharma retail price will be $1,200.

2. The Dharma is being targeted for release sometime during Q2 of this year.  They will exhibit the Dharma at the CanJam SoCal in Costa Mesa, California, March 28-29.

3.  The Dharma does not require a special amplifier.  Any competently designed amp will work.

4.  The new ENIGMAcoustics Athena A1 single-ended triode headphone amp will retail for $1,500.

It is interesting that it doesn't require a special amplifier.  I wonder how they build up the electrostatic charges to move their diaphragm.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #24 of 1,237
  It is interesting that it doesn't require a special amplifier.  I wonder how they build up the electrostatic charges to move their diaphragm.

It's an Enigma! 
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #25 of 1,237

From the manufacturer:

The ultra-lightweight composite and non-conductive electrostatic membrane is permanently impregnated with electrons, therefore it doesn't require any external power.

Simply stated, the proprietary SBESL™ (self-biased electrostatic loudspeaker) technology inherits all of the amazing ESL traits but none of its baggage.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #26 of 1,237
That's a pretty good looking headphone from what little I can see. Oh ENIGMA!!!! WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUU?...

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 1,237
That's a pretty good looking headphone from what little I can see. Oh ENIGMA!!!! WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUU?...

It really is...and it looks super comfy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back