Emu 0404usb vs other usb dac's
Apr 23, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #31 of 126
hey, dizzyorange

how does the 0404 drives your 650 straight?

and if any of you have a k701 or dt 880, mind telling how well does the 0404 drive them? i'm assuming if it can drive dizzyorange's 650 relatively ok, it should be able to drive either phones.

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #32 of 126
The 0404 drives the 650's pretty well, the bass is tight and the overall sound is clear and focused. That being said, the spatial imaging the HD650+0404 DAC combo is capable of is nowhere near realized by the onboard amp. My inexpensive SET OTL tube amp is a significant step up over the 0404 amp, and I would imagine better amps to be even bigger upgrades.

As for K701 and DT880, others have chimed in with their impressions in other threads, try browsing through the first 3 or 4 pages in the computer source forum. I believe the DT880 600ohm version cannot be driven properly, but the other cans can.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 126
Just bought it on www.sweetwater.com
biggrin.gif

Thanks to sejarzo and everyone for walking me through this!

Im looking forward to this. Funny, but this is the cheapest audio improvement Ive made in a while. I recently spent ~350$ for auralex absorbtion for my basement. And a Zu Mini-method before that (1k$ on sale).

Headfi $trikes back

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #34 of 126
I recieved my 0404 USB in the mail today
biggrin.gif

I just fired it up, to some new music; Still from Nine Inch Nails. I am not intimate with this release yet, but I couldn't resist hearing new music before going to my test tracks. My initial impression is that it is definitely everything the m-audio transit was and more. I'm running a Ray Sammuels SR-71 amp to the unit. Cable pro interconnect.
The bass seems to be firmed up or "tightened". I also believe there is more detail in the highs. They are more complex.
This may be the recording, but there seems to be a quieter background.
This is just a first impression though. I will have a better idea in a few days.
But so far I am glad I made this purchase.

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #36 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just realized the sound stage is excellent with this unit. Much better than the M-Audio transit, my previous unit. This is the best my headphones have ever sounded.
eggosmile.gif

Same here! The soundstage is excellent compared to my previous setup (audigy 2zs + LDM+).
Got the unit today, but i can't put my phones down
smily_headphones1.gif
The Headphone amp on the 0404 is a bit freaky. With my HD-595's i can't turn it up more like 9:00 when listening to some electronic stuff. The highest setting was around 10:00 when i listened to Pink Floyd's Meddle album. So it's far more than enough. The SQ of this card is really impressive. The most impressive thing is, that the 595's don't seem to be bass shy anymore and the k81's are less boomy now.

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #37 of 126
I must be going deaf then as I listen to my 595's at the 2 o'clock position on the 0404 for a lot of music. That's when I want it nice and loud though and at other times it is at about 11 o'clock. I mostly like realistic sound levels though.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #39 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be going deaf then as I listen to my 595's at the 2 o'clock position on the 0404 for a lot of music. That's when I want it nice and loud though and at other times it is at about 11 o'clock. I mostly like realistic sound levels though.

Maybe You have the 120 Ohm version of the 595's?

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #40 of 126
i have a zhaolu 2.0.
After modified, I can really say it improved more than 60%. I am serious.

I think zhaolu 2.5 is a good buy too. And in case you want to get it modified, you will not be dissappointed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #42 of 126
When I run the 0404 to my external SR-71, I have the E-Mu volume knob full tilt, then use the volume knob on the SR-71 as actual volume knob. (I assume this to be the correct method)

Using Asio, if my 'phones are directly connected to the 0404 ( like when I'm charging batteries) the volume is probably anywhere between 10 - 12 oclock. It really depends on what material.
Previously when I was using direct-stream, I had the volume knob turned farther during this circumstance.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #43 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe You have the 120 Ohm version of the 595's?

No, they don't make those anymore. It is probably just because I like my music loud.

May 8, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #44 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, the 0404 USB's amp has just barely enough power to have a sense of what the K501 is capable of, and this is at its almost maximum volume. It gets completely slaughtered by the K340, which is quite unfortunate for me. Exactly which Xenos amp did you have? Now I'll know to avoid it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't have an HD650 but I doubt it is easier to drive than the K501, based on posts here.

I don't know about the k501,but I assure you that you could easily pierce your skull with some hd 580 connected to the amp of the 0404! And by the way(i don't want to start a discussion about amps now,but they are very,very overrated) the xfi unamped gets even louder.

May 8, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #45 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opinions differ so much when it comes to audio. ....

At least I've heard one truth today...

To add my own opinion, I really like the 0404USB. Just got it last week and have been listening with the HD650s.

Not sure if it answers the question above but the 0404USB decodes regular Toslink from my soundcard without needing the USB connection. That was a pleasant surprise, since there are no linux drivers for this puppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back