Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #40,276 of 40,684
After owning all three, I would say that the Raven has improved on the quality of the bass. It is much more distinct between the BC rumble and the layers of bass. For example, Marcus Miller Trip Trap will give you an example of the distinction. That said, I am not saying it is any better of worse than, Z1R, this will be preference. It is much easier to hear the separation in the bass of Raven than Odyssey or EVO
It is definitely a preference thing and all of those iems definitely have more bass than z1r but the rawness of the z1r is something special that being said I had more fun with Raven and its quality is definitely up there with the best

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #40,278 of 40,684
I’d also factor the fit of Z1R can impact many variables as well. I could never get them to work with my ear anatomy and it remains the only IEM I haven’t been able to sample.
Yeah, fit remains a huge problem. It’s the reason I could never own one. But I do respect the hell out of it

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #40,279 of 40,684
I’d also factor the fit of Z1R can impact many variables as well. I could never get them to work with my ear anatomy and it remains the only IEM I haven’t been able to sample.
They are a difficult fit for many...that and weird mids are the two biggest complaints I have seen

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #40,280 of 40,684
Welcome back to the thread

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #40,281 of 40,684
Plussound Hybrid+ or EA Chiron also does a very good job 😉 I felt the same in terms of the stock being the bottleneck. Hybrid+ makes it very dynamic and even more spacious, Chiron leans it more technical and takes a way a little of the mid bass while emphasising holography.
Hey thanks for thoughts on the hybrid and Chiron on the ravens.

I managed to try the hybrid with the ravens at zepp and while I agree it does sound a bit more dynamic and ever so slightly spacious, I felt that it was at the expanse of the bass. Specifically the midbass, and not in a good way for the raven. The hybrid tamed down the midbass and let more of the subbass come through. It also shifted the vocals to the forefront instead of the bass and vocals sharing the front together. It became too close to the Odins for me except that it was more airy, natural and slightly strong bass.

Sadly zepp didn't have Chiron which I would have loved to try with the raven.

I did manage to try the plussound spc x? wire with it and thought it did a much better job of improving the raven.

But at the end of day, personally I think I would still take the hybrid and canpur pairing over the ravens. I would even rather just buy the hybrid to pair with my Odin than buy the ravens at this point.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #40,282 of 40,684
Hey thanks for thoughts on the hybrid and Chiron on the ravens.

I managed to try the hybrid with the ravens at zepp and while I agree it does sound a bit more dynamic and ever so slightly spacious, I felt that it was at the expanse of the bass. Specifically the midbass, and not in a good way for the raven. The hybrid tamed down the midbass and let more of the subbass come through. It also shifted the vocals to the forefront instead of the bass and vocals sharing the front together. It became too close to the Odins for me except that it was more airy, natural and slightly strong bass.

Sadly zepp didn't have Chiron which I would have loved to try with the raven.

I did manage to try the plussound spc x? wire with it and thought it did a much better job of improving the raven.

But at the end of day, personally I think I would still take the hybrid and canpur pairing over the ravens. I would even rather just buy the hybrid to pair with my Odin than buy the ravens at this point.
Hmmm what source were you using? That’s sort of the opposite of the impressions that I found especially in regards to the bass. But yes, hybrid+ pairs well with both Raven and Odin but more so with Odin I’d say… if you gel more with Odins sound it’s likely that would be your preference.

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #40,283 of 40,684
Hmmm what source were you using? That’s sort of the opposite of the impressions that I found especially in regards to the bass. But yes, hybrid+ pairs well with both Raven and Odin but more so with Odin I’d say… if you gel more with Odins sound it’s likely that would be your preference.
To be fair i was doing the A/Bing off the RS6 only this time, not sure how much the 475 helps with its amplification.

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #40,284 of 40,684
To be fair i was doing the A/Bing off the RS6 only this time, not sure how much the 475 helps with its amplification.

I’ve been testing Raven’s with multiple sources and they seem to respond very well to powerful sources. Some amps add coloration as you know so that can play into the overall impressions as well.

If that’s your typical listening gear and environment, your ears told you what you wanted to know. Trust them.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #40,285 of 40,684
I’ve been testing Raven’s with multiple sources and they seem to respond very well to powerful sources. Some amps add coloration as you know so that can play into the overall impressions as well.

If that’s your typical listening gear and environment, your ears told you what you wanted to know. Trust them.
EE units have very low Impedance too, so even a 4.4 connection on some devices might be approaching 50% of the Z and definitely affect the sound. Like the EVO is 3.8 ohms and my SA-1 4.4 is 1.7Ohms in low gain; it's not a wild difference but there are some delicate tracks where my Mojo 2's near 0 Ohms output is definitely better.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #40,286 of 40,684

Its a 50/50 for the mass kobo, depends if i want the hassle of listening with it for iems. i do know that it opens up my odins a bit, so i do know that it does help iems to sound a bit more grand. mass kobo is extremely clean so i dont think it adds much coloration haha.

Thanks, i definitely trust my ears😀 it has brought me on a roller coaster journey all the way from my humble beginnings with the shure 215SE, 425 and 535SE.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #40,287 of 40,684
Recently had the chance to compare the demo unit of Raven with my Odin and Legend X.
I think I could only second that opinion which states that it offers the most satisfying mid-bass & slam among top end IEMs.

I find them to not be as tight and precision-oriented as Odin and not having the soundstage size of the Legend X,. I think, however, that this is the most universal offering in the EE lineup. Presentation is definitely on the warm side and I'm really struggling to find musical styles that do not sound at least decent with Raven.

Tried it with PWA Meet Agains and First Times cables. Preferred Meet Agains when paired with my LPGT, while First Times worked better with Shanling M9+.

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #40,288 of 40,684
Recently had the chance to compare the demo unit of Raven with my Odin and Legend X.
I think I could only second that opinion which states that it offers the most satisfying mid-bass & slam among top end IEMs.

I find them to not be as tight and precision-oriented as Odin and not having the soundstage size of the Legend X,. I think, however, that this is the most universal offering in the EE lineup. Presentation is definitely on the warm side and I'm really struggling to find musical styles that do not sound at least decent with Raven.

Tried it with PWA Meet Agains and First Times cables. Preferred Meet Agains when paired with my LPGT, while First Times worked better with Shanling M9+.
Going from LX to Evo was a revelation. I wonder what the Raven is like comparatively to the Evo

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #40,289 of 40,684
Going from LX to Evo was a revelation. I wonder what the Raven is like comparatively to the Evo
If you are after amazing bass, then I can see how EVO impressed you. Personally I still find LX to be more versatile tuning (even though its low end is not as well controlled and hard hitting). I mostly use Legend X for ambient/psychodelic electronic tunage, where it's softer, wider & more open sound just works better for me.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #40,290 of 40,684
More neutrally tuned so that it is more of an all arounder. Really great set. Finally heard the final tuning this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back