Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #40,156 of 40,577
I've been spending this evening playing with all kind of different Spinfit types and sizes. Raven sound can change quite dramatic with different eartips shape and size, particularly bass and treble. Now I am using Spinfit CP145 size S, not my usual size. This really change Raven sound profile to be more balance, leaner and with more sparkle in treble, no more dark sounding Raven, I really like this one.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #40,157 of 40,577
I have stuck with the standard included tips. I felt like it was the intended purpose for Raven to sound this way. Admittedly, I like the rumble. There's plenty of lean, balanced and detailed sets out there so I didn't feel like creating another one.

Glad to see there's flexibility to Raven though. It's nice to not be limited to someone else's exact interpretation when you spend a good chunk of cash.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #40,158 of 40,577
With stock tips I find Raven is too thick, with CP145 Raven sound much more neutral and balance, which suit my taste better. But this changes is not going to alter Raven sound signature, it's just a bit of fine tuning to suit one taste. And yeah it's nice to have a bit of flexibility.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #40,159 of 40,577
I have stuck with the standard included tips. I felt like it was the intended purpose for Raven to sound this way. Admittedly, I like the rumble. There's plenty of lean, balanced and detailed sets out there so I didn't feel like creating another one.

Glad to see there's flexibility to Raven though. It's nice to not be limited to someone else's exact interpretation when you spend a good chunk of cash.
While I think everyone should listen with whatever tips they want and sound best to them, one thing to keep in mind is that while the included tips may be what the Ravens were tuned with and what sound best to Dean Vang's ears, that doesn't necessarily mean that by listening through the included tips you are hearing it with your ears as he was intending you to hear. This gets into a bit of a philosophical discussion, but given the variability in everyone's individual hearing across the audible spectrum, not to mention ear shape, bone/cartilage/tissue structure with the bone conduction driver, etc., it is entirely possible that a different set of tips would perhaps work better with your ear anatomy and sensitivity and thus bring you closer to the "intended" sound. Just food for thought and discussion :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #40,161 of 40,577
I've tried and have most eartips out there that I know of (save the one with the metal tube in the stalk). I always (usually fairly quickly) go back to SednaEarfit Standard. To me, every other eartip restricts the sound in some way. It appears to me to be mainly that the others all have at least a slightly smaller sound hole, if not significantly smaller... which seems to restrict some parts of the frequencies. Especially low freqs, and sometimes high freqs as well. And some seem to make audio sound more compressed, less dynamic. For me, so far, the SednaEarfit Standard always sounds the most open, dynamic, and full frequency for all my EE IEMs (LX, EVO, Odyssey, and now Raven).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #40,162 of 40,577
This is first time I prefer not to insert the eartips deep into ear canal and having snug fit, CP145 is the only eartips so far that can be inserted just enough into ear canal but still having good seal and not fall off. This way Raven sound is sublime to me. But I still going to try other eartips, Raven really makes me buy lots of them.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #40,163 of 40,577
Now I tried Final E and this let me insert the nozzle deeper and seal is better vs SpiralDots. More visceral impact seems BCD works better and smoother highs. I like the result very much. I mean I read that EE test also there IEMs with Final E tips. So nothing wrong going the standard route.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #40,164 of 40,577
With stock tips I find Raven is too thick, with CP145 Raven sound much more neutral and balance, which suit my taste better. But this changes is not going to alter Raven sound signature, it's just a bit of fine tuning to suit one taste. And yeah it's nice to have a bit of flexibility.
i thought they a tad too thick as well, while at e earphone i took the opportunity to listen to the legend x japan edition and definitely preferred the legend x’s presentation of bass over the ravens in terms of the overall coherency. Soundstage and imaging was of course still in raven’s favor

Feb 24, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #40,165 of 40,577
i thought they a tad too thick as well, while at e earphone i took the opportunity to listen to the legend x japan edition and definitely preferred the legend x’s presentation of bass over the ravens in terms of the overall coherency. Soundstage and imaging was of course still in raven’s favor

Raven sound is big and expansive you can't miss that with Raven. You can fine tuning the thickness and treble sparkle with the various eartips type, insertion and source pairing. I only have a handful of DAP but Ibasso DX320/Amp12 makes Raven sound more like a typical neutral reference monitor compared to 320 MAX and SP3000.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #40,166 of 40,577
Are you disappointed in the sound of your Raven relative to what you expected ?
I'd need to hear it more but it's still a hugely impressive set and certainly not disappointing. I wouldn't say it sounds worse than the V1 that I heard extensively, it's just trade offs. It still sounds huge but more sure-footed and not as cavernous as the V1 which sounded almost boundless (again, please take this with a grain of salt as aural memory and all that). The bass certainly seems to be leaving a lot more of an impression with the V2's though and I've found myself smiling and nodding my head a lot more when those bass drops hit / pressing replay to hear it again.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #40,167 of 40,577
While I think everyone should listen with whatever tips they want and sound best to them, one thing to keep in mind is that while the included tips may be what the Ravens were tuned with and what sound best to Dean Vang's ears, that doesn't necessarily mean that by listening through the included tips you are hearing it with your ears as he was intending you to hear. This gets into a bit of a philosophical discussion, but given the variability in everyone's individual hearing across the audible spectrum, not to mention ear shape, bone/cartilage/tissue structure with the bone conduction driver, etc., it is entirely possible that a different set of tips would perhaps work better with your ear anatomy and sensitivity and thus bring you closer to the "intended" sound. Just food for thought and discussion :ksc75smile:

I gotta say, you make a great point. I guess I was drawing my conclusion based on someone alluding to different tips leaning out the weighted-ness of the sound. It could however like you mentioned, make it sound the same for them as I hear it with stock tips. Love the logic here.

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #40,168 of 40,577
I've tried and have most eartips out there that I know of (save the one with the metal tube in the stalk). I always (usually fairly quickly) go back to SednaEarfit Standard. To me, every other eartip restricts the sound in some way. It appears to me to be mainly that the others all have at least a slightly smaller sound hole, if not significantly smaller... which seems to restrict some parts of the frequencies. Especially low freqs, and sometimes high freqs as well. And some seem to make audio sound more compressed, less dynamic. For me, so far, the SednaEarfit Standard always sounds the most open, dynamic, and full frequency for all my EE IEMs (LX, EVO, Odyssey, and now Raven).
I have the Earfit lights, divinus, final e, xelastec, spiral dot ++, and crystals. I prefer the Crystals. But i can't wait to try the spiral dots when i get my evos back from repair 🥹

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #40,170 of 40,577
crystals, when used one size smaller is a BCD show to me -)
Exactly, I use a MS Crystal/Xelastec and M everything else. Unfortunately, my left BCD wasn't seated properly that's why my units are out for repair 😭😭😭
I'll also need to get some Corrier Brass in for my final tip roll. I think i'll pass on the Eletech Baroque's as I don't feel they'll be substantially different than the Earfit regs or the Spiral Dot ++'s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back