Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #40,141 of 40,577
I thought OP was talking about the differences between the hundred-or-so polished V2 units that went out vs. the satin V2.
As I understand it, the polished V2 has a stainless steel gold-plated faceplate and the satin V2 has a titanium alloy faceplate.

The bass of the satin V2 takes up more space with more resonance than the polished V2.

The bass of the Satin V2 is amazing, but depending on certain songs, it can feel a bit strong.

Personally, I would prefer a polished V2 as there are already EVO and Odyssey on the market and I see it as the successor to Odin, not a bass cannon.

For comparison, we used an ibasso DX300max, a Spinfit w1, and several cables.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #40,142 of 40,577
As I understand it, the polished V2 has a stainless steel gold-plated faceplate and the satin V2 has a titanium alloy faceplate.

The bass of the satin V2 takes up more space with more resonance than the polished V2.

The bass of the Satin V2 is amazing, but depending on certain songs, it can feel a bit strong.

Personally, I would prefer a polished V2 as there are already EVO and Odyssey on the market and I see it as the successor to Odin, not a bass cannon.

For comparison, we used an ibasso DX300max, a Spinfit w1, and several cables.
There is no difference in the sound or tuning between the polished and satin finished v2 Raven LEs, just as there is no difference in sound between the v2 raven LEs and the black ravens. As someone who had both a v1 raven and then sent it back for the v2 replacement, I can say that I didn’t notice any difference in sound between the v1 and v2s and unless someone has a/b tested the two versions side by side, I would take any claims of major differences with a huge grain of salt because anyone who had both a v1 and a v2 had about 2 months (or more) between when they shipped their v1s back to EE and when they received their v2. That is just too much of a gap to provide a detailed or reliable assessment of what EE itself claims to be a very minor difference that they could only discern when switching directly back and forth between the two versions.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #40,143 of 40,577
There is no difference in the sound or tuning between the polished and satin finished v2 Raven LEs, just as there is no difference in sound between the v2 raven LEs and the black ravens. As someone who had both a v1 raven and then sent it back for the v2 replacement, I can say that I didn’t notice any difference in sound between the v1 and v2s and unless someone has a/b tested the two versions side by side, I would take any claims of major differences with a huge grain of salt because anyone who had both a v1 and a v2 had about 2 months (or more) between when they shipped their v1s back to EE and when they received their v2. That is just too much of a gap to provide a detailed or reliable assessment of what EE itself claims to be a very minor difference that they could only discern when switching directly back and forth between the two versions.
I agree with your article.

I think there is a difference officially and how much you value that difference is a personal matter. Objectively, I agree that the difference is small.

I went to a local store to buy black and was told that the sound was different due to the faceplate difference and compared the Satin V2 to the polished v2.

In the store, I was told that the bone conduction driver is sensitive to the plate material, which makes a difference.

I haven't listened to the Satin Launch Edition yet, but it's probably hard to tell the difference from the Satin Black.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #40,144 of 40,577
If this is indeed the case, that is news for me. In this case, it makes sense as to why there is a difference in sound even if minor. The faceplate material and thickness does indeed affect the BCD.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #40,146 of 40,577
Polished gold V2 is absolutely the best one.

Because that's the one I have lol!
No mine will be legend :wink: ,
see mail from Leasah (EE support):
"...you were the apart of the few who were able to receive a V2 version with a mirror faceplate before we switched to the satin"

Yeaahhhhhhhhh
and it sounds so so good with SpiralDot!!!

I'm curious how much mirror versions are V2 I bet it's below 50.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #40,147 of 40,577
"...you were the apart of the few who were able to receive a V2 version with a mirror faceplate before we switched to the satin"

Yeaahhhhhhhhh

That's pretty cool. You got a special one.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #40,148 of 40,577
That's pretty cool. You got a special one.

Yeaahhhhhhhhh

Mirror gang as well 😎 👋

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #40,150 of 40,577
Just got my second Raven, the first one has problem on the left monitor. The sound is come and go everytime I gently press the cable close to the 2 pin connector. Thankfully my local dealer is super nice guy, he ship the brand new replacement unit right away on the same day I complained about the issues. Anyway I got my Raven back and after trying lots of Spinfit ear tips I find CP155 is work wonderful with Raven, very comfortable and makes the bass a bit more neutral, really suit my taste better compared to stock tips.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #40,151 of 40,577
It has been quite a while since I have had a solid black shell from EE that wasn't slightly transparent. My EVO pic below; I don't yet have Raven, but I have to assume the shell must be similar. Some may call this solid, but it is opaque.

20210925_094425-766x1024.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #40,152 of 40,577
It has been quite a while since I have had a solid black shell from EE that wasn't slightly transparent. My EVO pic below; I don't yet have Raven, but I have to assume the shell must be similar. Some may call this solid, but it is opaque.

It's also top mounted on the Raven but barely visible without illumination (so it won't shatter after looking at it too much?)
:deadhorse:

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #40,153 of 40,577
It's also top mounted on the Raven but barely visible without illumination (so it won't shatter after looking at it too much?)
:deadhorse:
The new Ravens feel HEFTY…. Quite noticeable over the v1 which felt delicate. To my dismay this may have impacted the sound. Although aural memory is notoriously poor, the v2’s sound less massive (although not small by any means) and the bass is indeed more prominent and impactful (a criticism I had of the v1 launch edition was that it sounded slightly … hollow?… in the bass). Not willing to die on this hill but if anyone has access to both I’d love for them to chime in.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #40,154 of 40,577
The new Ravens feel HEFTY…. Quite noticeable over the v1 which felt delicate. To my dismay this may have impacted the sound. Although aural memory is notoriously poor, the v2’s sound less massive (although not small by any means) and the bass is indeed more prominent and impactful (a criticism I had of the v1 launch edition was that it sounded slightly … hollow?… in the bass). Not willing to die on this hill but if anyone has access to both I’d love for them to chime in.
Oh yes, the Hero feels empty and brittle in comparison (speaking of shell properties only)

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #40,155 of 40,577
Are you disappointed in the sound of your Raven relative to what you expected ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back