Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 9, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #40,081 of 40,587
After an evening with the Raven I can share some bulletpoints :
- the fit is OK given the size, I haven't found a tip for long lasting comfort but I'm not Allegro'd by the shell immediately so kudos for that
- the cable is quite stiff and not that ergonomic, cable slider is too slidy and falls down often. Hero's slider was hard to move but at least did its thing properly.
- puck case has nice heft to it and is definitely the most premium compared to 64audio or FiR variants, but is a little bit too small to fit the Raven and its thick cable without fear of shells knocking on each other. Mesh pouch won't fit, too. Craft ears case can fit the IEMs perfectly - they sort of click into the cutouts and are far away from each other. The cable is on the thicker side so it's tough to fit it inside but it's doable. Custom art updated case has the perfect amount of space for both the shells and the cable without coiling it too much. My current go to.
- signature EE driver flex is still here, not an issue for me but some may by bothered by the initial crincle.

Sound impressions are to follow :) I'm happy that second week of December is finally here and I can enjoy this set at last!

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #40,082 of 40,587
After an evening with the Raven I can share some bulletpoints :
- the fit is OK given the size, I haven't found a tip for long lasting comfort but I'm not Allegro'd by the shell immediately so kudos for that
- the cable is quite stiff and not that ergonomic, cable slider is too slidy and falls down often. Hero's slider was hard to move but at least did its thing properly.
- puck case has nice heft to it and is definitely the most premium compared to 64audio or FiR variants, but is a little bit too small to fit the Raven and its thick cable without fear of shells knocking on each other. Mesh pouch won't fit, too. Craft ears case can fit the IEMs perfectly - they sort of click into the cutouts and are far away from each other. The cable is on the thicker side so it's tough to fit it inside but it's doable. Custom art updated case has the perfect amount of space for both the shells and the cable without coiling it too much. My current go to.
- signature EE driver flex is still here, not an issue for me but some may by bothered by the initial crincle.

Sound impressions are to follow :) I'm happy that second week of December is finally here and I can enjoy this set at last!
I agree with many of your points:

I also think the cable slidy is useless, not enough tension.

I can get mine into a CA double mesh bagwith some careful futzing but it's not ideal. I am going to check out your case recommendations.

Most annoying thing for me is the driver flex. It's not bad in my left ear but it is pretty annoying in my right ear. I find if I do the open mouth, pull up ear, insert and roll forward thing it helps but even then I sometimes get a crinkle when opening my mouth or moving my jaw. It goes away entirely with foamies but they also suck some of the sound out so I am tip rolling with other silicones to see if I can find something that works.

Sound wise the Spinfit W1 is the best for me so far.

When I get it fitted right though the sound is absolutely awesome! Orders of magnitude better than anything I have ever heard.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #40,083 of 40,587
I had a listen to the Ravens at e earphone this week and i was A/Bing with my Odins using RS6 as a source connecting to my mass kobo 475 via a PW Audio Monile shield 4.4 to 4.4. My Odins was using a Ag 01 from SG Audio hive while the Ravens have their stock i think.

I was listening to JPOP and a little bit of Final fantasy orchestra music.

So first thing i noticed was how dark it sounded compared to my odins, the bass definitely sounds even stronger than what i remembered with the V1 and the demo at canjam; I personally thought it was a tad too much. That being said the rest of the spectrum was no slouch either, the vocals were natural with a nice amount of air compared to Odins super crystal clear voices which may sound digital sometimes, treble was on par with Odins and i definitely it
squeezed out a bit more micro details than the Odins which is already impressive.

The imaging is definitely holographic with the feeling that the music is enveloping around you, it made my odin sound more like blasting music directly into the centre of my head. I really like the imaging.

Also i tried the supermoon from CA for a bit, it reminded me of OG utopia with that fast bass beat but slightly stronger thub with not nearly enough heft for that weightiness. Interesting but since i have OG utopia, it is a no more me

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #40,084 of 40,587
+1 for the Legend X.
Man, I just cant get enough of LX’s bass… wondering though whether Raven has at least the same bass quantity.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #40,085 of 40,587
Man, I just cant get enough of LX’s bass… wondering though whether Raven has at least the same bass quantity.
Regrettably, no. I’m pretty sure others have similar sentiments.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #40,086 of 40,587
Regrettably, no. I’m pretty sure others have similar sentiments.
Dang… well LX is a sure keeper then, and keep on hoping man… thanks

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #40,087 of 40,587
Dang… well LX is a sure keeper then, and keep on hoping man… thanks
only the evo has comparable bass i feel

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #40,088 of 40,587
only the evo has comparable bass i feel
...and worse everything else, sadly. When I re-bought the LX, which I sold a while back, I swore never to sell it again come what may. The most I'll consider is switching it to custom.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #40,089 of 40,587
...and worse everything else, sadly. When I re-bought the LX, which I sold a while back, I swore never to sell it again come what may. The most I'll consider is switching it to custom.
I’m with you on that man, I am highly considering custom LX too.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #40,090 of 40,587
Anecdotally, I remember getting Raven to give EVO level lows. They have the same driver config for lows, so it should also be possible on paper.
I remember putting on the final e tips, EQ lows up a bit (through EQ or mastermind plugin) and use dynamics plugin from RS8 for lows

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #40,092 of 40,587
I would say that the Legend X has more overall bass quantity in the signature but the Raven's bass quality seems more refined and less intrusive while still providing a very impactful presence. I'd be curious to know if it's very close but just sounds like less due to the way the sound is projected out around the head with conduction drivers.

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #40,093 of 40,587
Anyone compared Raven with Jewel? Curious to read some feedback :)

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #40,094 of 40,587
Raven landed earlier today.
Some very very early impressions…but first some administrative items:
-listening on M9+
-stock cable
-Sedna Earfit tips
-my music preferences veer towards deep progressive EDM (Trilucid, Lane 8, Le Youth, Hessian, EMBRZ, Praana, Anjunadeep, etc etc)
-I’m maybe 5 songs into them lol
-no A/B yet with any of my other IEMs

So, I have not had luck with EE upper mids/lower treble. I have consistently found them to be overly sharp and sibilant; Odyssey was the most muted of what I’ve heard, but it was almost too much so, and the overall signature lacked excitement, so I didn’t hang onto them too long. I’ve owned a lot of EE in-ears, and in almost every case, I’ve sold them because of the Upper mids/treble (quantity or quality).

So far, the Raven seems to be towing a nice balance in the upper mids/lower treble of being prominent (to my ears), and having a sharpness/crispness to them, yet without exhibiting sibilants. I told a friend that these may have the best upper mids/lower treble of any EE I’ve heard. We’ll see how they grow on me (or don’t) after more extensive ear time.
Bass is fantastic - wonderful rumble, definitely sub-bass tilted, yet without being too over-powering. No bleed to mids that I’ve heard.
Staging is nice and wide - to my ears, more around the head left-to-right. Very enveloping.
Mids are nicely present…so far, nothing in particular stands out about them, but that’s not meant to be a knock. They sound as they should.

The IEMs are large, but they fit very nicely - no issues fit-wise at all.
I also happen to love the satin black finish - super classy, somewhat understated. Perfection.

The only thing I am slightly disappointed about is that they don’t come with the IEM baggies for storage :frowning2:

@Jack Vang and team…well done!

IMG_0641.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back