Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 31, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #40,036 of 40,675
Thanks for sharing.

IMO, they look a lot better than I expected. The initial sneak peek that Jack showed off at the bar looked way more matte and I didn't think it'd match with the gloss black shell. The faceplate in your pics show off a tiny bit of sheen and I think it looks great.

1706731547760.png 1706731455679.png
I think they had to go through a few versions and/or suppliers of the matte black face plate before they were happy with the results.

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #40,037 of 40,675
Speaking of EE bass.

Some of you might know I bought a Monarch Mk3 while waiting for the Raven back then, just out of curiosity.

The double DD Mk3 slams harder than the Odyssey in the bass department. Like Bloom Audio says in their review, it is the King of Bass ! Odyssey has a bit more technicality in it's sound but overall the sub $1k Monarch does give Odyssey a run for it's money and I switch between these 2 and the VE EXT depending on my mood.

When it comes to comfort, the Mk3 beats them all !

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #40,039 of 40,675
So… has anyone managed to get their hands on both a polished and matte version of the Raven to do an A/B and can comment on the differences in sound? (If there are any)
I think someone is close to pulling the trigger on a pair...

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #40,040 of 40,675
Cross posting from the Watercooler thread:
IMG_1140.jpeg

I’ve spent this week getting to know Raven. And what a great set it is! Here are some impressions, and comparisons with two other sets with very similar profiles and use cases.

Raven is fast becoming the favorite on my roster (many thanks to @KuroKitsu!). I find the gold plating great to look at, and not problematic to keep clean. The fit is surprisingly very good, given my struggles with EVO in particular. EE has figured this part out.

Its sound is fantastic in many ways, which I am making the most of with Raven’s perfect fit with a lot of my library that is centered on rock of all types. I find it to have superb technicals across the board. In particular it excels in staging, resolution, separation, and dynamics. It is easy to get lost in Raven with all these qualities.

I hear Raven to have a V shape. Its bass is among the best I’ve heard, with a thunderous, vast, yet detailed sound. Its mids are not too recessed and reasonably detailed. I can hear male vocals for example well but they are not the stars like bass and treble. I also don’t hear any “mids oddities” as suggested here recently, search as I might. As I have gotten to know the treble more, I don’t find it coming in hot as I did at first. Brain burn must have done the trick, along with adjusting the chain. Now I find the treble to be very detailed, a little sparkly, airy, a bit sweet, very well extended, and not sibilant for the most part. It still occasionally gets overly perky treble though. Its high end overall is a great complement to the tremendous bass.

Raven does not scale that well with music that is subtler, quieter, or more relaxed. I’m not finding it as well-suited to jazz vocal or singer songwriter for example. Despite being a very lively set, I don’t find the Raven to be fatiguing at all.

IMG_1145.jpeg

Loki shares lots in common with Raven. They are both very energetic and shine with robust, loud and fast music. If I had copy-pasted my above impressions and swapped Loki in for Raven, it would have felt true to what I hear for the most part.

Loki is a great IEM in many ways. But side-by-side, Loki has just a bit less of everything that Raven does so well. Loki’s a slight downgrade on technicals: in particular, it shows a bit less detail, a bit less separation, a smaller stage, a slightly less “big” sound. Its bass is less cavernous than Raven’s, though still brings its own strong punch and rumble, just not quite as much. Its mids are similarly good quality but overshadowed by great bass and treble. Loki’s treble is more relaxed, softer around the edges, and less extended.

Loki is a really good pairing for any more urgent music. With its more pronounced upper mids energy, I find Loki to be more fatiguing than Raven.

Fei Wan is similar in different ways to Raven. It takes high octane to another level, but they are closer than I expected. As technically superior a set that Raven often is, Fei Wan has just a bit more – detail, separation, stage, speed, dynamics: all a slight level up. Raven is by comparison slightly kinder and gentler.

Fei Wan's bass is similarly pounding, with clear sinew on its muscles. But its bass is not as vast as Raven’s and not quite as deep. With its more U shape, Fei Wan’s mids are more evident. Its treble is spicier, brighter, a bit sharper, and more extended. It is not generally sibilant with the right chain. With its more forwarded upper mids energy, even with optimized cable, tips, and DAP settings, I find I need a breather from Fei Wan after an hour or two. But what an incredible, propulsive few hours those are!

Do all three of these have room on the same roster? That depends on how deep your bench is. For me, I will only keep two, possibly only one, since I’m aiming for a diversified short-and-sweet bunch at the moment. That said, Raven, Loki and Fei Wan each put a smile on my face every time I listen to them.

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #40,041 of 40,675
And now through the power of next day shipping!

Very glad I waited on these - they are gorgeous looking in person! Very subtle contrast between the faceplate and the shell, they look downright luxurious.
The catalyst for my second Raven 😅

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #40,043 of 40,675
Always happy to enable :ksc75smile:
I traded for @btwine 's Anni and the plan was to consider Raven whenever the standard edition (and not micro scratch hell faceplates) came out but not so soon.

And then I saw the new faceplates. I was kinda on the fence already for non sound related reasons with Anni. That just sealed it.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #40,044 of 40,675
They are both great sets so I hope you find what you are looking for. The more time I spend with Raven the more I appreciate what EE has accomplished with it. I did order some mesh IEM baggies for my pair off amazon, just to help prevent any dings/scratches etc while they are in storage.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #40,045 of 40,675
Speaking of EE bass.

Some of you might know I bought a Monarch Mk3 while waiting for the Raven back then, just out of curiosity.

The double DD Mk3 slams harder than the Odyssey in the bass department. Like Bloom Audio says in their review, it is the King of Bass ! Odyssey has a bit more technicality in it's sound but overall the sub $1k Monarch does give Odyssey a run for it's money and I switch between these 2 and the VE EXT depending on my mood.

When it comes to comfort, the Mk3 beats them all !
Do you EQ? I add sub bass to my Odins and they rattle my brain. Stock they are mild. I’m assuming the Odyssey would do the same.

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #40,046 of 40,675
Can anyone help with a quarry?
I'm looking for a TRUE Basshead monitor around the £500-£700 price range for mostly out & about listening and not critical listening and was settled on the Bravado mk2 BUT?
I have read and watched video reviews and each one could not be more different!
One says yes they are fantastic "Twist6" and another rate's them at "C-" and says they are awful "Crinicle" and they are just 2 off the top of my head!
I know people have different tastes & hearing but i don't understand how the reviews can be so far apart?
So my MASSIVE HOPE is i can get a couple of "True real-world" opinions now they have been out for a few years and if possible maybe a comparison with EE Hero?
My main out & about source is an LG V50 with or without iFi Go Blu with a 60cm custom IvipQ 6N OCC Silver & Gold-plated+Pure Silver-Palladium Plated Cable..
Thanks in advance for any help it is TRULY Appreciated because £799 is a VERY VERY risky blind but.
For comparison my main out & about monitor at present is a Penon 10th Anniversary which i really do love but as great as the bass is and it really is great unfortunately there's ust not enough to satisfy my Basshead needs!
For reference the Basshead monitors i own at present are 7hz Legato & Juzear Clear.
Once again thanx for your help 👍👍👍👍👍

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #40,047 of 40,675
I'm looking for a TRUE Basshead monitor around the £500-£700 price range for mostly out & about listening and not critical listening and was settled on the Bravado mk2 BUT?
One says yes they are fantastic "Twist6" and another rate's them at "C-" and says they are awful "Crinicle" and they are just 2 off the top of my head!
I know people have different tastes & hearing but i don't understand how the reviews can be so far apart?
So my MASSIVE HOPE is i can get a couple of "True real-world" opinions now they have been out for a few years and if possible maybe a comparison with EE Hero?
My main out & about source is an LG V50 with or without iFi Go Blu with a 60cm custom IvipQ 6N OCC Silver & Gold-plated+Pure Silver-Palladium Plated Cable..
Thanks in advance for any help it is TRULY Appreciated because £799 is a VERY VERY risky blind but.
For comparison my main out & about monitor at present is a Penon 10th Anniversary which i really do love but as great as the bass is and it really is great unfortunately there's ust not enough to satisfy my Basshead needs!
For reference the Basshead monitors i own at present are 7hz Legato & Juzear Clear.
My 2 cents worth: LX reigns in terms of bass shelf (quantity) and I hear more apparent differences with various cable pairings. Perhaps a second hand LX can be obtained within your budget but I’m just guessing, I’ve not checked classifieds.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #40,048 of 40,675
My 2 cents worth: LX reigns in terms of bass shelf (quantity) and I hear more apparent differences with various cable pairings. Perhaps a second hand LX can be obtained within your budget but I’m just guessing, I’ve not checked classifieds.t
Thanks for your help my friend it's much appreciated and to be honest LX along with Vision Ears EXT are probably my end game but unfortunately they are WAY out of my budget even second hand!
It seems there are very few Basshead monitors in the price range I'm in and it's really annoying because there are

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #40,049 of 40,675
Thanks for your help my friend it's much appreciated and to be honest LX along with Vision Ears EXT are probably my end game but unfortunately they are WAY out of my budget even second hand!
It seems there are very few Basshead monitors in the price range I'm in and it's really annoying because there are
I have the Legato. If it doesn’t have to be an EE, I find the Scarlet Mini a better version of the Legato.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #40,050 of 40,675
You could try FatFreq Scarlet Mini? Alternatively if there are any Nightjar Singularity about in the classifieds which might fall into your price range?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back