Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 12, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #39,916 of 40,577
I got Raven hoping it would be essentially an Odyssey with more present mids and potentially improved technicalities (essentially a mix between Odin and Odyssey) and that's very much how I hear it. You give up a little bit of bass quantity vs. the Odyssey (bass is to my ears closer to Odyssey than Odin though), but get more present mids and top tier (even surpassing Odin from memory) resolution, detail, imaging, and soundstage. The inclusion of the weapon X bcd really improves the dynamism and imaging and expands the stage (this was true on odyssey as well, but seems even more well implemented on the Raven), providing a very holographic, but also bodied soundscape. As has been the case across most the EE iems I have owned—especially Odin, EVO, and Odyssey—Raven’s sound has changed and settled over time. I would recommend giving them some run in time before making final conclusions about them (I will leave it to others to debate whether this means burning in your brain, the drivers, or both).

Probably because of the BCD and how weapon x drivers transmit through the stem of the iems and the tips, I have also found the raven’s sound to change quite a lot across different types of tips, so would definitely recommend trying a few different types of tips to see what works best for you. So far I’ve tried a pair of custom silicon tips from customart that I originally had made for my EVOs (sounded good but didnt get as full of a bcd effect), azla sednas (my initial tip of choice and what had worked best with Odysseys), the stock final e’s, the new spirit omnis (liked these a lot), and I’m currently using dunu S&S tips, which are different and didn’t look like they should work, may be my favorites to date.

I’ve done a bit of comparing back and forth between the Ravens and my FIR Rn6, both of which have what I’d call a fun-balanced sound signature with top notch technicalities, really excellently implemented and elevated bass, but not at the expense of mids and treble. Both have, as I mentioned, really top notch bass, with the Rn6 having a slight edge in terms of initial impact/slam, but the raven having what I can best describe as slightly more bodied bass. The Ravens overall sound a little more cohesive in terms of the overall sound and they have enveloping and slightly more holographic imaging. Both have very large soundstages projecting sound well out of head, but they do so in a different way. The Rn6’s do more of a bringing the sound to you, as in projecting it around where you are, whereas the Ravens have more of a sense of transporting you to the sound, or where the sound was recorded (perhaps because they have the full range bcd and don’t have the same semi open drivers that the Rn6 have for bass). Even though they kind of go for a similar type of sound, the way they realize it is different enough that I still find them complementary. I have found myself gravitating more to the Ravens than the rn6s recently, but they’re also the newer toys (that I had briefly and then was apart from while they were rebuilt to the v2 spec). The Rn6s still dazzle when I switch back to them but in a different way.

something you can do generally if you have looser 2pin connections is take a pair of plyers and squeeze each of the pins on the cable (carefully), which can make them slightly wider (more elliptical) in profile and thereby create a little more friction when connecting to the iem.
Tried and didn't work well. I have decided to send it back for repair.

Frankly speaking, I'm quite disappointed with the QC

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #39,917 of 40,577
I would actually like some recommendations for foam tips for Raven if anybody has any…. I think the expansion of foam gives a better seal at least on my AirPods, would like to try them on these, although not sure how that would affect the sound quality.
As others have mentioned, foam tips are generally a no-go with Raven because the bone conduction of the weapon x driver is transmitted through the stem of the I’m and then the tips and foam tips don’t transmit those vibrations, so you are essentially neutering the bcd effect (which is big part of the raven’s special sauce).

Having said that, there is one type of foam tips you might try that are a bit of a chimera between foam and silicon tips and which I can confirm do work with Raven (to my ears and skull bones): the Sony EP-TC50M "triple comfort" tips. These tips feel and seal like foam tips, but are made of a silicone or polyurethane foam material so they look and sound more like silicon tips (added benefit is that they are also washable/cleanable). Unless you are in Japan, you have to get them from someplace like ebay because I think they are only available in Japan, but I'm listening to them now and definitely feel/hear the BCD driver with them. I would say it is a bit less pronounced than with some other tips like azla sednas, but not so much that you lose the BCD effect.

Sony also makes an updated version of the triple comforts, what they call the "Noise Isolation Stable Fit Earbud Tips", which shipped with the wf-1000xm wireless earbuds, also use a polyurethane foam, and are available on amazon, but they are a bit closer in feel to traditional memory foam tips. I just tried those with the Raven, and I could hear/feel the BCD, but it is definitely diminished compared to the triple comforts and even more so compared to regular silicon tips.

Having said all this, to me, the Dunu S&S tips that I and others mentioned previously give a somewhat foam like feel and seal in the ear (maybe because of their unique shape, not sure), and the BCD works quite well with them.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #39,918 of 40,577
As others have mentioned, foam tips are generally a no-go with Raven because the bone conduction of the weapon x driver is transmitted through the stem of the I’m and then the tips and foam tips don’t transmit those vibrations, so you are essentially neutering the bcd effect (which is big part of the raven’s special sauce).

Having said that, there is one type of foam tips you might try that are a bit of a chimera between foam and silicon tips and which I can confirm do work with Raven (to my ears and skull bones): the Sony EP-TC50M "triple comfort" tips. These tips feel and seal like foam tips, but are made of a silicone or polyurethane foam material so they look and sound more like silicon tips (added benefit is that they are also washable/cleanable). Unless you are in Japan, you have to get them from someplace like ebay because I think they are only available in Japan, but I'm listening to them now and definitely feel/hear the BCD driver with them. I would say it is a bit less pronounced than with some other tips like azla sednas, but not so much that you lose the BCD effect.

Sony also makes an updated version of the triple comforts, what they call the "Noise Isolation Stable Fit Earbud Tips", which shipped with the wf-1000xm wireless earbuds, also use a polyurethane foam, and are available on amazon, but they are a bit closer in feel to traditional memory foam tips. I just tried those with the Raven, and I could hear/feel the BCD, but it is definitely diminished compared to the triple comforts and even more so compared to regular silicon tips.

Having said all this, to me, the Dunu S&S tips that I and others mentioned previously give a somewhat foam like feel and seal in the ear (maybe because of their unique shape, not sure), and the BCD works quite well with them.
Super helpful. Thank you so much!!! I will give them a try

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #39,919 of 40,577
In the context of DE razors some manufacturers go as far as to advise against microfibre cloths on gold-plated DE razors as microfibre is still too abrasive. And if you own reading glasses or sunglasses you know not all microfibre is made the same. So yeah the launch edition Raven looks pretty of course but I do not think its realistic to maintain the appearance. If you insist on a flawless look then imo it means a swappable faceplate system
20240114_022054.jpg
Observe, day 3 of ownership on a LE V2

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #39,922 of 40,577

Observe, day 3 of ownership on a LE V2
Oh ya. I’ve had my V2 (mirror finish) for about a month and they are peppered with micro-scratches… and I treat my gear with an immense amount of care. After my initial session, I didn’t use them for almost two weeks because the fear of scratching them over shadowed my want to listen to them. Hah. I gave up and am just pretending to not care anymore. That special nano-polymer-quantum-realm-infinity-stone protective coating is a joke.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #39,923 of 40,577
Sorry, but you just becoming the first Raven LLE...
Less Limited Edition 😌 😪
Hey hey, that's an excellent way to market it when I listed 😂 Raven LLE 1/1 no other unit is scratched in the exact same way.
Maybe use the cloth to clean eye glasses next time?
I'd love to say it was the cloth, but I had the Raven for 3 days and spotted this when I decided to wipe it down. I figured it was an errant fiber or something but not.

I had the Final A8000 and micro fiber cloths did nothing to prevent that sadly.

Oh ya. I’ve had my V2 (mirror finish) for about a month and they are peppered with micro-scratches… and I treat my gear with an immense amount of care. After my initial session, I didn’t use them for almost two weeks because the fear of scratching them over shadowed my want to listen to them. Hah. I gave up and am just pretending to not care anymore. That special nano-polymer-quantum-realm-infinity-stone protective coating is a joke.
😅 Maybe I should have gotten the satin one instead. Granted, they don't show up in most lighting conditions so it shouldn't bother me so much. Also they sound so good that not listening to them is a shame.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #39,924 of 40,577
Hey hey, that's an excellent way to market it when I listed 😂 Raven LLE 1/1 no other unit is scratched in the exact same way.

I'd love to say it was the cloth, but I had the Raven for 3 days and spotted this when I decided to wipe it down. I figured it was an errant fiber or something but not.

I had the Final A8000 and micro fiber cloths did nothing to prevent that sadly.

😅 Maybe I should have gotten the satin one instead. Granted, they don't show up in most lighting conditions so it shouldn't bother me so much. Also they sound so good that not listening to them is a shame.
I really like the mirror finish but micro-scratches trigger me like crazy lol. My matte-gold faceplate is still looking pristine thankfully :sweat_smile:

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #39,925 of 40,577
I really like the mirror finish but micro-scratches trigger me like crazy lol. My matte-gold faceplate is still looking pristine thankfully :sweat_smile:
Want to trade? 😂

I would have scooped up the one in classifieds, but I had my heart set on the mirror finish.

I'm set on convincing myself it's patina though

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #39,926 of 40,577
I’m seriously considering vinyl wrapping my faceplate..

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #39,927 of 40,577
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #39,928 of 40,577
Can someone here give me the tl;dr on the Raven between the v1 vs v2 and the mirror finish vs non mirror finish? I'm wondering if Raven should be on my radar for a CanJam demo, but admittedly I ducked out of this thread for a while with the abundance of drama. I need the info without the mad if anyone here can provide it.

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #39,930 of 40,577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back