Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #39,901 of 40,577
Yeah, I’m in the camp of keeping my Odyssey. I’ll probably pair it with Code 24 later on
I got Raven hoping it would be essentially an Odyssey with more present mids and potentially improved technicalities (essentially a mix between Odin and Odyssey) and that's very much how I hear it. You give up a little bit of bass quantity vs. the Odyssey (bass is to my ears closer to Odyssey than Odin though), but get more present mids and top tier (even surpassing Odin from memory) resolution, detail, imaging, and soundstage. The inclusion of the weapon X bcd really improves the dynamism and imaging and expands the stage (this was true on odyssey as well, but seems even more well implemented on the Raven), providing a very holographic, but also bodied soundscape. As has been the case across most the EE iems I have owned—especially Odin, EVO, and Odyssey—Raven’s sound has changed and settled over time. I would recommend giving them some run in time before making final conclusions about them (I will leave it to others to debate whether this means burning in your brain, the drivers, or both).

Probably because of the BCD and how weapon x drivers transmit through the stem of the iems and the tips, I have also found the raven’s sound to change quite a lot across different types of tips, so would definitely recommend trying a few different types of tips to see what works best for you. So far I’ve tried a pair of custom silicon tips from customart that I originally had made for my EVOs (sounded good but didnt get as full of a bcd effect), azla sednas (my initial tip of choice and what had worked best with Odysseys), the stock final e’s, the new spirit omnis (liked these a lot), and I’m currently using dunu S&S tips, which are different and didn’t look like they should work, may be my favorites to date.

I’ve done a bit of comparing back and forth between the Ravens and my FIR Rn6, both of which have what I’d call a fun-balanced sound signature with top notch technicalities, really excellently implemented and elevated bass, but not at the expense of mids and treble. Both have, as I mentioned, really top notch bass, with the Rn6 having a slight edge in terms of initial impact/slam, but the raven having what I can best describe as slightly more bodied bass. The Ravens overall sound a little more cohesive in terms of the overall sound and they have enveloping and slightly more holographic imaging. Both have very large soundstages projecting sound well out of head, but they do so in a different way. The Rn6’s do more of a bringing the sound to you, as in projecting it around where you are, whereas the Ravens have more of a sense of transporting you to the sound, or where the sound was recorded (perhaps because they have the full range bcd and don’t have the same semi open drivers that the Rn6 have for bass). Even though they kind of go for a similar type of sound, the way they realize it is different enough that I still find them complementary. I have found myself gravitating more to the Ravens than the rn6s recently, but they’re also the newer toys (that I had briefly and then was apart from while they were rebuilt to the v2 spec). The Rn6s still dazzle when I switch back to them but in a different way.
Left side is more severe....:slight_frown:
something you can do generally if you have looser 2pin connections is take a pair of plyers and squeeze each of the pins on the cable (carefully), which can make them slightly wider (more elliptical) in profile and thereby create a little more friction when connecting to the iem.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #39,902 of 40,577
I asked another person in the community that owns the rn6 and aura and prefers the aura
Aura over the RN6. Aura strikes the balance that is correct. At least personal preference. First iem that I have been truly wowed with straight out of the box. Then I applied the Azla tips and the sound improved. AK/VE Aura paired with the AK SP3000 is by far the best combo I have found.

RN6 is my personal favorite out of the Fir Audio line up. It strikes that balance mostly for being incredibly comfortable, can wear them for hours and have not issues. They also fit incredibly well. The sound signature works really well for rock. That and I like that you can change the tuning with the modules. Have heard from some people they find the treble to be a bit spicy with some of the modules.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #39,903 of 40,577
anybody have a recommendation for a longer and affordable 4.4 cable for Raven? I’m thinking 6 to 10 feet long and max $500-ish
Just contact NiceHCK on AliExpress.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #39,904 of 40,577
I've had the Legend X less than 24 hours and initial impressions are positive. They're a step up from the Bravado Mk2 in most ways, but not all. Yes, more bass where it's called for, better quality over all, but also more likely to bleed in to the mids. There's also a spike that's bothering me, I think in the upper mids. Light EQ helps with the bass bleed and the spike, but I'm hoping to find tips that will give a similar result without it.

Over all happy I got these, but they just reignite my curiosity when it comes to Odin and Legend Evo. Time to start saving again.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #39,906 of 40,577
I’m so glad I didn’t sell my Raven V2 Launch Edition, had it listed in the marketplace because I just couldn’t deal with the feeling of IEMs after years of over ear cans. But I changed the tip to a larger size and let them break in for a couple of days…I might like these for overall balance more than my Utopia 22 and OG Empyrean. I’ve been listening primarily on a Kann Ultra and these are very special headphones. Still looking for my ideal ear tip, but these have grown on me so hard over the past few days.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #39,907 of 40,577
I’m so glad I didn’t sell my Raven V2 Launch Edition, had it listed in the marketplace because I just couldn’t deal with the feeling of IEMs after years of over ear cans. But I changed the tip to a larger size and let them break in for a couple of days…I might like these for overall balance more than my Utopia 22 and OG Empyrean. I’ve been listening primarily on a Kann Ultra and these are very special headphones. Still looking for my ideal ear tip, but these have grown on me so hard over the past few days.

Here are some tips that worked for me:

Spinfit Omni - Balanced sound
Azla Crystals (one size smaller than what I’d normally use) - BCD show
Final Type E - Bass

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #39,908 of 40,577
Try the Dunu S&S if you haven't already. They're strange, but once you get used to them quite nice.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #39,909 of 40,577
I would actually like some recommendations for foam tips for Raven if anybody has any…. I think the expansion of foam gives a better seal at least on my AirPods, would like to try them on these, although not sure how that would affect the sound quality.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #39,910 of 40,577
Foam messes with the bone conduction - at least that was the advice with Evo. I would avoid.

Could be worth looking into something like xelastics (or similar - I think there are other options like them now). Kind of a tacky silicone that warms up with your body heat and molds to your ear for a good seal. I've always had good luck with those for anything tricky fitting.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #39,911 of 40,577
Foam messes with the bone conduction - at least that was the advice with Evo. I would avoid.

Could be worth looking into something like xelastics (or similar - I think there are other options like them now). Kind of a tacky silicone that warms up with your body heat and molds to your ear for a good seal. I've always had good luck with those for anything tricky fitting.
Wow, thanks for sharing the information and that makes sense. Really appreciate this info.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #39,912 of 40,577
To be honest.. I have been enjoying my Raven over all my high end cans. It’s beyond the honeymoon phase also. It’s amazing how far these little devices have come. Of course my cans deliver a more immense overall sound but these aren’t far behind. I’m getting near closed back bass levels with open back mid and treble transparency (to a degree) without disturbing anyone.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #39,913 of 40,577
To be honest.. I have been enjoying my Raven over all my high end cans. It’s beyond the honeymoon phase also. It’s amazing how far these little devices have come. Of course my cans deliver a more immense overall sound but these aren’t far behind. I’m getting near closed back bass levels with open back mid and treble transparency (to a degree) without disturbing anyone.
Ok then, although I was very excited to purchase your ravens, I’m deleted to finally learn that you are enjoying them! Enjoy, Best Steve

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #39,914 of 40,577
The thing that I’m liking especially over Utopia 2022 is the noise isolation. We live near hospitals here in New York City and it’s constant sirens which really intrude when using U22 (not as bad with OG Empys) - so I don’t have to play music as loud to overcome that and also the tonal balance on these ravens is kind of ridiculous. With just the slightest bit of EQ in Roon they sound amazingly good.

When a headphone sounds just as great playing Aphex Twin as it does Wilco, you know you have a winner!!!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #39,915 of 40,577
Now I'm curious what Odyssey sounds like.

Trying to find my wallet though, it seems to have bolted when I said that out loud.

So far so good on Raven. Bass is definitely a step up from Odin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back