Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 18, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #37,246 of 40,577
Buying basically the complete SpinFit line-up (CP100+, CP145, CP155, CP360) :) I prefer the CP360 over the CP155. Although the CP360 is a little challenge to get them onto the Odyssey, it finally gives me a much better seal and more comfortable fit compared to the CP155 - and especially over the stock Final E tips.

I have the Odyssey since last Sunday, just five words:

It is simply a Masterpiece :gs1000smile:

I'm so happy that I was able to get one. Loving it so much. Great job, AK & EE.

(Images follow soon).
Just got the W1’s and I don’t like them at all. I find it thins out the low end.

We’ll see how the CP360 go when they arrive tomorrow.

As of now, I prefer the Final E tips closely followed by the Sedna Crystal.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #37,248 of 40,577
So, now that Odysseys are out in happy owners' ears and have had a chance to burn in and compare a bit...

Is Legend Evo still bass king at Empire?
Yes. I think it still is. Odyssey is better overall, but EVO bass is still the best.

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #37,250 of 40,577
At the risk of offending everyone, I just don't think I'm an Empire Ears guy. I have my new (to me) legend x up for sale for $1k, including the Ares cable. Mint condition.

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #37,251 of 40,577
Nope. Delivery guy bypassed the signature requirement assuming that it’s all good that it’s in a restricted access building that requires a fob to get in. But leaving a package like that where there is vendors , other residents, etc was just a big risk.
Do a charge back for non-delivery. You never got it and there was no signature proof.

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #37,252 of 40,577
Buying basically the complete SpinFit line-up (CP100+, CP145, CP155, CP360) :) I prefer the CP360 over the CP155. Although the CP360 is a little challenge to get them onto the Odyssey, it finally gives me a much better seal and more comfortable fit compared to the CP155 - and especially over the stock Final E tips.

I have the Odyssey since last Sunday, just five words:

It is simply a Masterpiece :gs1000smile:

I'm so happy that I was able to get one. Loving it so much. Great job, AK & EE.

(Images follow soon).
Good call on the CP360.

I just tried them out and I like them ever so slightly over the Final E.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #37,253 of 40,577
My Odyssey is sounding spectacular after some more burn-in. I’m hearing more balance and better clarity, and quite frankly I’m surprised by the improvement vs. day 1.

This truly isn’t a basshead IEM. I’m finding it slightly warm, well-balanced and musical, with the bass being ever-present and the bone conductors exerting their authority, but not in a way that’s over-powering.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #37,254 of 40,577
I’ll post more complete impressions (hopefully) tomorrow, but I will say that while ymmv, to my ears, Odyssey, like other EE iems in the past, go through some not insignificant changes as they get some runtime on them. When I first listened to my Odysseys out of the box, first with spinfit c100s, then final e’s, I was a bit underwhelmed. Separation, resolution, imaging, and soundstage were all top notch and bass was ample (though a bit less than EVO as expected) but compared to EVO, it felt like bass was not as three dimensional, and also almost a little sucked out as you got into mid bass and (also) lower mids. There was rumble and impact at the primary note frequency, but it seemed like somehow I wasn’t hearing the full complement of harmonics. Treble sounded great from the start and was notably more present compared to EVO, which was welcome, but mids were further back in the mix and particularly male vocals (some lower register female vocals too) also seemed to be not as full, rich, and textured—almost as if the vocal track was coming from a higher compression file than the rest of the sound. I put them down Thursday night thinking I’d likely be returning them or being put up for sale, but things changed after letting them run in over the past two days.

When I came back to them after they were playing overnight they sounded a little better, but mostly the same as my initial impressions. However, after running for another 24 hours, I came back to them today and had a huge smile on my face. They sounded sublime. The flatness I noticed initially was gone and both mids and bass were rich and textured. Vocals are still not as forward as on EVO, but they did is just as much texture and the slightly less forward vocals helps provide a more enveloping, three dimensional soundscape. Still doing listening and comparing to both EVOs and Trailli, but don’t think these are going anywhere anymore.

I’ve also found, as others have mentioned, that different tips have a big impact on both the amount of bass, the impact (literally) of the weapon x bcd, and relative perceived level, placement, and richness of various parts of sound (bass, mids, and treble). I tried the spinfit w1s and found also found bass to be lighter with less marked bcd impact. Spinfit c100s were better, but still seemed to take away some of the bass. I listened to final es right out of the box and while bass was very ample, it almost sounded a little congested, which is something I have found with these tips in the past on wide bore iems (this could have also been compounded by, or alternatively could have contributed to some of my initial impressions above). Eartune Fidelity U elliptical tips sounded great with full base and good balance (they are often the tips that I prefer best for my ears), but they tend to slip off iems without lips on them and after having one of them slip off my Odins on a plane and having to go a 4 day vacation with a tip stuck in my ear (wasn’t able to get it out until I got home—it sucked), I don’t like using fidelity u’s with EE iems. For the moment I’ve settled on spiral dots with sound on par with the fidelity u’s, but am going to keep trying others

I’ll post more complete impressions (hopefully) tomorrow, but I will say that while ymmv, to my ears, Odyssey, like other EE iems in the past, go through some not insignificant changes as they get some runtime on them. When I first listened to my Odysseys out of the box, first with spinfit c100s, then final e’s, I was a bit underwhelmed. Separation, resolution, imaging, and soundstage were all top notch and bass was ample (though a bit less than EVO as expected) but compared to EVO, it felt like bass was not as three dimensional, and also almost a little sucked out as you got into mid bass and (also) lower mids. There was rumble and impact at the primary note frequency, but it seemed like somehow I wasn’t hearing the full complement of harmonics. Treble sounded great from the start and was notably more present compared to EVO, which was welcome, but mids were further back in the mix and particularly male vocals (some lower register female vocals too) also seemed to be not as full, rich, and textured—almost as if the vocal track was coming from a higher compression file than the rest of the sound. I put them down Thursday night thinking I’d likely be returning them or being put up for sale, but things changed after letting them run in over the past two days.

When I came back to them after they were playing overnight they sounded a little better, but mostly the same as my initial impressions. However, after running for another 24 hours, I came back to them today and had a huge smile on my face. They sounded sublime. The flatness I noticed initially was gone and both mids and bass were rich and textured. Vocals are still not as forward as on EVO, but they did is just as much texture and the slightly less forward vocals helps provide a more enveloping, three dimensional soundscape. Still doing listening and comparing to both EVOs and Trailli, but don’t think these are going anywhere anymore.

I’ve also found, as others have mentioned, that different tips have a big impact on both the amount of bass, the impact (literally) of the weapon x bcd, and relative perceived level, placement, and richness of various parts of sound (bass, mids, and treble). I tried the spinfit w1s and found also found bass to be lighter with less marked bcd impact. Spinfit c100s were better, but still seemed to take away some of the bass. I listened to final es right out of the box and while bass was very ample, it almost sounded a little congested, which is something I have found with these tips in the past on wide bore iems (this could have also been compounded by, or alternatively could have contributed to some of my initial impressions above). Eartune Fidelity U elliptical tips sounded great with full base and good balance (they are often the tips that I prefer best for my ears), but they tend to slip off iems without lips on them and after having one of them slip off my Odins on a plane and having to go a 4 day vacation with a tip stuck in my ear (wasn’t able to get it out until I got home—it sucked), I don’t like using fidelity u’s with EE iems. For the moment I’ve settled on spiral dots with sound on par with the fidelity u’s, but am going to keep trying others.
Advice for when tips are stuck in your ear is to use your cables jack to help pick your the tip by trying to fit it into the ear bud hole for grip and kind of scrape it out of your ear

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #37,255 of 40,577
Odyssey...is beginning to season and settle in as expected. The out of the box impressions I wrote will be updated in a couple of weeks. It is the first time I have ever done out of the box impressions(in a mini review format) because I don't believe in that, but I thought it would be interesting to chronicle.

I know I asked hypothetically somewhere about an A/B with Legend X and that was for reason. Out of the box it certainly has that vibe, not in its capabilities or technicalities, because Odyssey is a few levels beyond Legend X, but in its delivery and tonality.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #37,256 of 40,577
Looks like my apartment building got robbed and unfortunately my Odyssey was stolen as part of the robbery. I'm guessing that there's no more production of Odyssey to be had anywhere? This is a frustrating problem to have...
I would definitely contact your vendor to find out about its serial number. One of the advantages of a limited edition, with this unique and clear info (put directly onto both IEMs) you at least have something to counter check whenever there's a non-seriously looking offer on a selling platform.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #37,257 of 40,577
Advice for when tips are stuck in your ear is to use your cables jack to help pick your the tip by trying to fit it into the ear bud hole for grip and kind of scrape it out of your ear
Generally what I did when I was using strictly 2.5mm. However, if you are using a Final E tip or something similar with a narrow, tight sleeve and using a 4.4mm it would be very difficult.

I was pleased to see the slight flair on the nozzle of the Odyssey. I love EE but I always mentioned in reviews that the Final tips stretch and with the smooth nozzle, I would end up leaving the tip in my ear upon removing the IEM. After a while I tried not to insert so deep.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #37,258 of 40,577
Some photos from today unboxing.

Oh boy, they look stellar and sounds so amazing out of the box. Stunning IEMs.
I will post more impressions later, after burning.

53CD3024-BAE4-4AF9-ADFC-5622BE74009F.jpeg
B3FC4E78-A969-494F-BE03-5BA416AE487A.jpeg
EB95A9AC-5EE9-46FC-A7B2-CC1272AA2525.jpeg
61FAF2BB-0733-47D9-83A2-BB266FBE8F61.jpeg

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #37,259 of 40,577
I would definitely contact your vendor to find out about its serial number. One of the advantages of a limited edition, with this unique and clear info (put directly onto both IEMs) you at least have something to counter check whenever there's a non-seriously looking offer on a selling platform.

I checked all the sites and nothing is popping up on stuff like eBay, Craigslist or any site like that. Since it’s of such limited appeal it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s in a trash can, or roadside somewhere because the theif doesn’t know what to do with it.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #37,260 of 40,577
Some photos from today unboxing.

Oh boy, they look stellar and sounds so amazing out of the box. Stunning IEMs.
I will post more impressions later, after burning.

53CD3024-BAE4-4AF9-ADFC-5622BE74009F.jpegB3FC4E78-A969-494F-BE03-5BA416AE487A.jpegEB95A9AC-5EE9-46FC-A7B2-CC1272AA2525.jpeg61FAF2BB-0733-47D9-83A2-BB266FBE8F61.jpeg

So pretty, wow! Those shells pop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back