Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 13, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #36,421 of 40,587
If only audio retailers have an option to let us purchase their IEMs without the cables for an adjusted reduction in price :)
Yeah, just send me the shells. No tips, no cable, no packaging. Ship it in a small ring box protected by one of those mesh bags. To be honest, when I buy an IEM, I just take out the monitors from the box and store everything else for the day I decide to sell it. I don't need that stuff, but the buyer needs it to feel comfortable it is legit.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #36,422 of 40,587
Yeah, just send me the shells. No tips, no cable, no packaging. Ship it in a small ring box protected by one of those mesh bags. To be honest, when I buy an IEM, I just take out the monitors from the box and store everything else for the day I decide to sell it. I don't need that stuff, but the buyer needs it to feel comfortable it is legit.
Exacty what i always do.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #36,423 of 40,587
This is me exactly. Keeping the boxes as an asset for future sales, while having little to no value for my usage purpose.

I can't imagine companies only sending the shells tbh. It's like receiving a demo unit wrapped inside those little cases at a premium price 😂

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #36,424 of 40,587
A lot of it is also to build value. If you’re spending a good amount of money, presentation is somewhat key. It’s the same reason why luxury car dealerships have more accommodations, there’s Rolex ambassadors, etc.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #36,425 of 40,587
Also, I wonder how the bass response of the odyssey compares to Evo. I’m not expecting it to have club base sound, but if it’s more like a refined bass head choice i would be very interested.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #36,426 of 40,587
Also, I wonder how the bass response of the odyssey compares to Evo. I’m not expecting it to have club base sound, but if it’s more like a refined bass head choice i would be very interested.
I hope it's NOT a refined base head choice... because if it is, I'll have think about buying it. 😅

Would be good to have some idea of the type of sound signature they were aiming for with this design.

Can't help but think that it's been fine tuned with reference to an SP3000.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #36,427 of 40,587
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #36,428 of 40,587
Just spoke to Jack at Empire Ears. This was his response when asked about Odyssey compared to Odin and EVO - "As far as comparisons go the Odyssey is the best thing we've tuned to date. It takes the best of what the Odin and EVO had to offer and cranks it up to an 11. Wider soundstage, better detail retrieval/imaging, more extended treble and a smoother upper mid-range for easy listening."

Sep 13, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #36,429 of 40,587
This was our biggest hurdle with the Odyssey. We could not, for the life of us, get the W10 to communicate with the electrostats but we eventually had a breakthrough. This was a necessary step for the future of Empire Ears.

There's only 1 production run and there's been no discussion of an additional. It is entirely at AK's discretion.

Looking forward to your impressions. See you soon! :beerchug:

The Odyssey uses a revised version of the EVO's housing with updated curvature for a more optimized fit. The components are packed to the brim and each pair takes an enormous amount of time to complete. It's truly a labor of love.

Correct. The Odyssey is a completely original design.

It's been challenging to say the least but we're proud of the end result and we can't wait for you all to hear it.
Looking forward to hearing them this weekend and catching up with you and the EE team.

Sep 13, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #36,430 of 40,587
It’s probably a big chonker.
As long as it's not JH big chonker levels we're okay.
I wonder how limited it will be. Like Odin - limited first 200, then 300, then we are just selling the same thing without autographs. Or smth like 100 units, and if you are not fast enough - wait till someone drops it in the classfields))
Low 200 Odin + Launch Edition Evo here. If it has a more premium feeling presentation I'm all for it
Especially with AK involved. My wallet is going to crash with the new DAP and EE collab. At least, I can get a DAP and IEM for the price of some ridiculous IEMs.
I'm sitting this out, but is relatively price/performance ratio compared to other things with AK slapped on it, it gets a reasonable from me.

Will probably try if there's a demo at Headfoneshop or Charles willing to open up one for us to demo. If not, Odin and Evo are fine.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #36,431 of 40,587
+1000 Likes for this.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #36,432 of 40,587
Not an Odin and not an EVO. EE has more self respect than to make a lazy rehash and slap a collab status on it. Much different sounding and much more refined. Surprised they offered it for the Odin price considering what a whale this thing is inside. Good on them for not asking for $6k for what is in my opinion their best sounding product.

Do you know how many are being made?

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #36,433 of 40,587
Low 200 Odin + Launch Edition Evo here. If it has a more premium feeling presentation I'm all for it
I also have 92nd and absolutely love them. This is why I am so hyped about Odyssey, which at least on paper looks like next step in development of the idea behind Odin. My concerns are that Odyssey and sp3000 cost 7k USD$ together) but if Odyssey is really limited I need to preorder it:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #36,434 of 40,587
I just checked out the Effect Audio website … looks like the Ares II has been discontinued and replaced by the Ares S. I wonder why EE chose a discontinued model unless they committed to the remaining Ares II stock for the Odyssey?

Seems like the cable may be a performance choke point for the Odyssey and will need an upgrade. 🤔

First thing I listen to at SoCal will be the Odyssey!

One other thing, since the Odyssey only uses 2 e-stat drivers vs the 4 used in the Odin, I wonder if this difference is contributing to the new tuning in the midrange/trebles.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #36,435 of 40,587
I just checked out the Effect Audio website … looks like the Ares II has been discontinued and replaced by the Ares S. I wonder why EE chose a discontinued model unless they committed to the remaining Ares II stock for the Odyssey?

Seems like the cable may be a performance choke point for the Odyssey and will need an upgrade. 🤔

First thing I listen to at SoCal will be the Odyssey!

One other thing, since the Odyssey only uses 2 e-stat drivers vs the 4 used in the Odin, I wonder if this difference is contributing to the new tuning in the midrange/trebles.
I can't imagine them trying to fit 2 more e-stat drivers with the huge weapon X driver inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Back