Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 1, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #35,776 of 40,591
Is the treble less sparkly and more laid back on evo compared to legend x og?
To my ears yes.

The effect of the added upper mids on the EVO also affects how the treble is heard. It also takes your attention away from the treble. If you want more sparkle, the LX presents it more.

Jun 1, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #35,777 of 40,591
I much prefer the Odin bass too.

But if it’s someone that really wants that fist pumping bass, it’s the LX for sure.

I actually wish I had more time with the EXT. I would’ve loved to compare it to the LX and EVO since I really liked its energetic bass.

Due to the more present/lifted upper mids on the EVO, it evens out the bass energy making it somewhat “balanced”. The LX is a true L shaped signature.

Do you think the EXT would be a good compliment to LX for bass heavy music like rock, EDM, and hiphop? Or more of a competitor?

Jun 1, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #35,778 of 40,591
Congrats on the LX. The R8 should be good. A cleaner more neutral dap would work well since the LX is pretty warm. I REALLY like the Evo with the Fiio M17. If you're ok with the size, it's a great DAP. The DX300 is also good. For the money, the DX240 is VERY hard to beat. The stock amp module is a super clean and detailed and should pair very well. I posted a review of the DX240 and it's an awesome all around DAP. It's also MUCH smaller that the M17, R8 and DX320 with very little sacrifice in power or sound quality for IEMs.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-dx240.25508/reviews#review-28450

Another option is the Mojo 2. The EQ on that, in my experience is the best execution of EQ I've seen. The bass can be a bit much sometimes and it wouldn't hurt to take out a Db or two of mid bass depending on preferences and music genre. I use it with my custom Empire Ears Nemesis a lot.

I bought a RU6 and RS6 blindly recently, being that they’re both R2R DACs with a warmer sound, maybe I picked the wrong choice for the LX 😅 still waiting on their arrival.

I am also curious about DX320 and N8ii pairing with the LX like the other person mentioned.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #35,779 of 40,591
Do you think the EXT would be a good compliment to LX for bass heavy music like rock, EDM, and hiphop? Or more of a competitor?
I wish I could answer your question with full confidence but since I wasn’t able to do a side by side comparison, I’ll just be basing it off of my aural memory. The EXT is still an overall more balanced sound having less bass than the LX but with more treble energy. Isolation is a big thing too. I’d consider the EXT a bit of a semi-closed IEM due to its venting done through the faceplate. It’s not as bad as let’s say the Isabellae or maybe the Duo(I haven’t tried it yet, but that IEM might be more of a semi-open than a semi-closed IEM 😂)

The EXT is the more energetic or the two so in a way they’re different enough to own both. But it’s always up to your own preferences though. I’m still curious to hear the LX SE as well as that might be the “Legend” line IEM for me. While I do like the EVO, I just haven’t had the chance to thoroughly listen to it as much as I did with the OG LX. And while not a lot of people would agree with me, but I really like the OG Valky 😂

That was the LX for me since I still like my treble and upper mids. The LX has better and more present lower mids though, so if you listen to a lot more male vocals than I do, then the LX, EVO, and EXT would definitely be the better choices.

EXT and OG Valky are still on my list of IEMs I’ve wish to own 😆

And the LX SE is still on my radar to hear.

Jun 2, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #35,780 of 40,591
I would agree with what @riverground said in the post above. The only bit I’d offer in addition to this is that I was able to A/B the LX and EXT at the same time. Without getting technical (as it’s not my best quality!) I thought overall that they were too similar to each other to warrant me owning both. If I did not already own the LX then the EXT would have been on my wish list as I thought it was superb. But for my preferences I didn’t think it was necessary to have them both. That’s just my view point of course, so do take that into account.

Jun 2, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #35,781 of 40,591
To my ears yes.

The effect of the added upper mids on the EVO also affects how the treble is heard. It also takes your attention away from the treble. If you want more sparkle, the LX presents it more.
Lx is amazing but on some tracks the vocals are pushed back. That's 100% ok for 99.9% of hip hop tracks, but on some rnb tracks the vocals should be the focus.

Seems like evo might correct that but i don't want to lose the lx sparkle which is amazing, especially on tracks that's not to bassy like some rnb and jazz tracks.

Almost seems like lx is perfect and modifying the tuning might affect the magic. 🤔

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #35,782 of 40,591
Lx is amazing but on some tracks the vocals are pushed back. That's 100% ok for 99.9% of hip hop tracks, but on some rnb tracks the vocals should be the focus.

Seems like evo might correct that but i don't want to lose the lx sparkle which is amazing, especially on tracks that's not to bassy like some rnb and jazz tracks.

Almost seems like lx is perfect and modifying the tuning might affect the magic. 🤔
Yup, it would definitely lose that “magic” that a lot of LX lovers adore.

It’s like the OG Valky and Valky MKII for me. I love the OG’s “magic” and the MKII while it “solved” the complaints/problems that people had with the OG Valky, the sauce just isn’t there anymore.

That’s why to me, newer doesn’t exactly mean “better” if you already like what you hear. So unless the “newer” model fixes the issues you’ve had with the predecessor then that’s your IEM right there. If not then you saved yourself some money.

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #35,783 of 40,591
I would agree with what @riverground said in the post above. The only bit I’d offer in addition to this is that I was able to A/B the LX and EXT at the same time. Without getting technical (as it’s not my best quality!) I thought overall that they were too similar to each other to warrant me owning both. If I did not already own the LX then the EXT would have been on my wish list as I thought it was superb. But for my preferences I didn’t think it was necessary to have them both. That’s just my view point of course, so do take that into account.
This and what river said. The EXT has a noticeably lower bass shelf and little to no bloom. You get much improved treble and a cleaner experience.

I wouldnt say they are comparable but at the same time if you own one and like it there really isnt a point in owning both(yet i do).

If you want more bass get the LX. If you want good bass and better mids(albeit slightly recessed) and treble get the EXT.

The LX SE was nearly perfect but if you are after bass and not overly nitpicky the SE does lose out to the LX but only if youre observent.

If I recall the SE suffered from some mid-range energy maybe upper mids. Also find the LX treble peaky.

If the EVo was more like the SE that would have been hands down the best IEM for me.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #35,784 of 40,591
Yup, it would definitely lose that “magic” that a lot of LX lovers adore.

It’s like the OG Valky and Valky MKII for me. I love the OG’s “magic” and the MKII while it “solved” the complaints/problems that people had with the OG Valky, the sauce just isn’t there anymore.

That’s why to me, newer doesn’t exactly mean “better” if you already like what you hear. So unless the “newer” model fixes the issues you’ve had with the predecessor then that’s your IEM right there. If not then you saved yourself some money.
Yeah I've lost too much money going for the updated version that wasn't as good as the original in the past.

I've mitigated my risk by waiting for the hype to slow down. I see which iems are still hot and talked about after the hype; especially in threads of other brands before i make a blind purchase. Amongst other things etc....

On the other hand, I've noticed the hype for some iems die pretty quickly. That's usually a bad sign because alot of people and reviewers aren't interested in it.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #35,785 of 40,591
Strong the LX hype is.

Jun 2, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #35,787 of 40,591
Jun 2, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #35,788 of 40,591
Yes, but the hype is real. 4 years and still going strong.
I recently bought the lx about a week or so ago. Sounds better than most of the new stuff i heard. It's not like anything I've ever heard in an iem.

Also lx not one of those iems that you have to "burn in" to sound good. Within 3 seconds of listening, you know why it's great.

Jun 2, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #35,789 of 40,591
I recently bought the lx about a week or so ago. Sounds better than most of the new stuff i heard. It's not like anything I've ever heard in an iem.

Also lx not one of those iems that you have to "burn in" to sound good. Within 3 seconds of listening, you know why it's great.
That's not to say it doesn't get better though, the more you listen the better it gets :p

Jun 2, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #35,790 of 40,591
That's not to say it doesn't get better though, the more you listen the better it gets :p
The bass doesn't slam as hard as the first day. The first day the bass made me tuck my tail and beg for mercy. I had to take legend x out and place them in my purse next to my tampons. Lol just joking about placing them in my purse.

I don't know if the drivers changed or if i adjusted to the sound 🤔

No iem ever has been too much bass for me. I thought it wasn't possible.

Now I almost require that pain/slam or skull cracking aggressiveness in most tracks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back