Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 30, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #35,747 of 40,613
What kind of sound signature/qualities or even better, what specific DAPs and DAC/AMPs do you guys think has the best synergy with Legend X?

I know this is subjective and depends on the music genre. I listen to mostly metalcore, EDM, and hiphop.

May 30, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #35,748 of 40,613
What kind of sound signature/qualities or even better, what specific DAPs and DAC/AMPs do you guys think has the best synergy with Legend X?

I know this is subjective and depends on the music genre. I listen to mostly metalcore, EDM, and hiphop.
Ifi signature, calyxm and to lesser extent wm1a imho. The ifi signature if you want to get the most out of them. The dynamics with that pairing is on another level.

May 30, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #35,749 of 40,613
Duplicate message

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #35,750 of 40,613
Ifi signature, calyxm and to lesser extent wm1a imho. The ifi signature if you want to get the most out of them. The dynamics with that pairing is on another level.
How would you describe the sound of the iFi signature and why it has synergy with LX?

May 30, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #35,751 of 40,613

Different reply here - the best IMHO and experience has been Hiby R8 DAP with Turbo ON-> C9 via Pre-Amp. this allows the R8 to control volume while C9 options are still available for sound shaping ie Korg Nu-Tubes (+/-) or Class A-vs AB. I usually go with tubes + AB for LX. This produces a very smooth, analog type sound with crisp, textured bass and clear (if not very forward) mids and treble - detail retrieval and soundstage about the same as without the C9 on the R8, but dynamics are better.

I also have IFI micro iDSD signature which is fine for LX and I agree it is good- but I am an EQ guy, so I tinker with bass response on-the-fly via Roon EQ (Roon Core is a 2013 MacBook and streamer is 2013 Sonore MicroRendu) which is my source for the iDSD. This allows a different type of flexibility in SQ shaping than the C9. Overall I prefer the C9; however , I have not directly conducted an A/B detailed comparison (I could do, if this is of interest to anybody).

May 30, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #35,752 of 40,613

The Hiby R8 has great synergy with the Legend X. It seems to bring the mids a little more forward.

May 30, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #35,753 of 40,613
Different reply here - the best IMHO and experience has been Hiby R8 DAP with Turbo ON-> C9 via Pre-Amp. this allows the R8 to control volume while C9 options are still available for sound shaping ie Korg Nu-Tubes (+/-) or Class A-vs AB. I usually go with tubes + AB for LX. This produces a very smooth, analog type sound with crisp, textured bass and clear (if not very forward) mids and treble - detail retrieval and soundstage about the same as without the C9 on the R8, but dynamics are better.

I also have IFI micro iDSD signature which is fine for LX and I agree it is good- but I am an EQ guy, so I tinker with bass response on-the-fly via Roon EQ (Roon Core is a 2013 MacBook and streamer is 2013 Sonore MicroRendu) which is my source for the iDSD. This allows a different type of flexibility in SQ shaping than the C9. Overall I prefer the C9; however , I have not directly conducted an A/B detailed comparison (I could do, if this is of interest to anybody).

The Hiby R8 has great synergy with the Legend X. It seems to bring the mids a little more forward.
Thanks a lot, so basically something that brings forward the mids a bit with a softer treble ?

Might be a silly question but do you guys think the LX benefits from a balanced cable/amplification and the higher power usually associated over SE output?

May 30, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #35,754 of 40,613
Might be a silly question but do you guys think the LX benefits from a balanced cable/amplification and the higher power usually associated over SE output?

That would be very dependent on your actual device amp design. If you have better specs and power output from your amp on balanced, seems like a waste to use the SE out unless like someone else mentioned, you are actually trying to tone it down a bit. My RME drives the LX beautifully on 3.5mm unlike some previous DAPs with both SE and BAL outs.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #35,755 of 40,613
That would be very dependent on your actual amp design. If you have better specs and power output from your amp on balanced, seems like a waste to use the SE out unless like someone else mentioned, you are actually to tone it down a bit. My RME drives the LX beautifully on 3.5mm unlike some previous DAPs with both SE and BAL outs.
Agree - on the Hiby R8 alone, the extra power delivered via Turbo is a bit like a ‘magic button’ in terms of increased macro and micro dynamics. But C9 is all that with whipped cream on top - bass texture improves substantially and technicalities are better all the way up the FR.

I do find a substantial improvement balanced vs se -mostly in terms of sound stage and instrument separation. This is especially true on the C9.

@Chronos are you the Chronos on The Headphone Show? I’m intrigued in this interest of yours in the LX. While reviewers on the Show have not dissed the LX, they certainly have not compared it favourably to other IEMs eg the 64 Audio Trio. What’s up?

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #35,756 of 40,613
Agree - on the Hiby R8 alone, the extra power delivered via Turbo is a bit like a ‘magic button’ in terms of increased macro and micro dynamics. But C9 is all that with whipped cream on top - bass texture improves substantially and technicalities are better all the way up the FR.

I do find a substantial improvement balanced vs se -mostly in terms of sound stage and instrument separation. This is especially true on the C9.

@Chronos are you the Chronos on The Headphone Show? I’m intrigued in this interest of yours in the LX. While reviewers on the Show have not dissed the LX, they certainly have not compared it favourably to other IEMs eg the 64 Audio Trio. What’s up?

Lol no, different person. How do you watch the headphone show?

May 30, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #35,757 of 40,613
How would you describe the sound of the iFi signature and why it has synergy with LX?

@jlemaster1957 kind of alluded to some of the things i was about to say...

But imho, to really bring out the full potential of lx and most iems you need some type of portable dac/amp or desktop solution.

The fiio m17 changed the way i listen to iems. It's actually a good pairing with Legend X lx too. Something about the amount of power they send to iems is game changing.

For a minute, i stopped using portable desktops and only used daps because i thought there was no need. But i slowly started to miss and crave the power, stage and slap of the portable desktops.

I learned about ifi while trying to purchase c9. Someone was selling c9 because they felt the ifi was more engaging for a fraction of the price. I say that to say they're both great but depends on personal preference. Ifi is easy to try on amazon prime. Easy to listen if you don't like it return it for 100% refund no restocking fee. I use ifi directly from my phone lg v60 and sounds phenomenal!

Ifi idsd pulls the mids forward as well imho.

May 30, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #35,759 of 40,613

The ab test is definitely interesting

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back