Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 10, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #35,176 of 40,577
Resell is the single only con on Customs. While Uni only pro is resell price. :wink:

That’s me though.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #35,177 of 40,577
What would be better Universal or Custom? I know with customs they would probably fit better, but with Universals, I could still sell them.
The only regret I have with getting custom fit is that I can't share the sound with other people that are interested. Other than that zero regrets.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #35,178 of 40,577
Yes, no damage on the socket (I never said there was yah :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Staff acknowledged that the right IEM shell was uneven at the 2pin area as well. But pointed out the slightly bent stock pins. Straightened out but still has the gap. So opted the offer to have the cable replaced - stock cable was replaced from an open boxed ESR (1st) - replacement cable pins were a bit too loose for my taste.
I've noticed the 2 pin sockets for Empire stuff isn't exactly flat, I've had a small gap for years across multiple iems. Excellent customer service though to offer to replace the cable because of the bent pints

Also.... May have an EVO incoming to pit up against the EXT, Odin and LX ....
EXT won't be hear for while. but that does remind of that Odin/Evo/Wraith shootout I've been meaning to do

Sounds like the ESR is what I want, flat but not too flat.
It's not flat flat, but treble is pretty dark

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #35,179 of 40,577
EVO is really a strange beast... after many hours of critical listening, after having passed from a "what the heck is this thing?" phase to a "well, not so bad" phase, now I'm finally to a "just relax and listen to music" phase.... the best basses? maybe. the best mids? definitely not. the best highs? definitely not. but man, when I just want to relax and listen to some music, my hands go automatically to the EVO. don't even know exactly why, but hey it is what it is. just sit down, relax with a glass of something (porto I suggest), and listen to some music.
just wish would be a little bit more universal (some parts of my library are ... well ... just unlistenable with EVO), but with the right music are truly enjoyable and you forget about technicalities....

Mar 10, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #35,181 of 40,577
Is it me, or do Bravados take time to open up?
Many headphones / IEMs with dynamic drivers do!
Leave them playing all-night for several nights...

Mar 10, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #35,183 of 40,577
I've been playing the the Bravados non-stop and some improved all the sudden! When li went to go listen to an albums this time, wow, it was like something opened up. And thkls mids and highs are so much better.

Mar 10, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #35,184 of 40,577
Mar 10, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #35,185 of 40,577
What would be better Universal or Custom? I know with customs they would probably fit better, but with Universals, I could still sell them.
I personally like customs, unfortunately the EVO is only available universal. Custom tend to give you the makers intended sound without fuss of finding a good fitting tip as well as being more comfortable, better isolating and more secure. You nailed the only real con, hard to resell when you decide to move on.

Mar 10, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #35,186 of 40,577
I've been playing the the Bravados non-stop and some improved all the sudden! When li went to go listen to an albums this time, wow, it was like something opened up. And thkls mids and highs are so much better.
Are those the OG or mk2 Bravados?

Mar 10, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #35,187 of 40,577
Right after CanJam SoCal (where I first auditioned it) :ksc75smile:

Hmmm.... Cannot remember for sure, and I do not want to say the wrong thing.
Maybe @Dellwolf can share his opinion?
Which one? The red one or the black one? Can't remember the numbers

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #35,188 of 40,577
A little about my preferences in sound, for those that don't know me. With IEMs the thing that is most important to me is vocal clarity and in that, I tend to like something a bit more forward in the mids. I also value overall clarity and detail retrieval across the range above all. I just want to be able to hear every single detail...but particular when it comes to vocals.

The notes I took while listening to them were comparing the prototypes to each other, and mostly involved the difference in presentation and staging compared to each other.
The red one, or depending on when you listened to it, the one missing a faceplate was to my ear much more forward with vocals than the black one, the red one sounded more artificial and forced, narrow and sort of compressed sounding compared to the black one. The black one had much wider, more natural sounding staging and the vocals were more laid back, but not muffled or veiled. The black one also has a bit more bass presence than the red one. The red one has more treble presence than the black one.

In the end I preferred the black one, by a lot. Even with my preference for something more forward with vocals. The black one just sounded more natural to my ear than the red one. The red one just seemed more forced and shouty.

All that said that is specifically comparing the two prototypes to each other. So make sure you take that into account when reading my notes on what I said about either of the prototypes.

It's kinda hard to compare the ESR-MKII directly to the notes I took on the prototypes since they were primarily for comparing each other. But overall, just generalizing, both prototypes have more bass than the ESR-MKII. The mids on the esr are more even across the range compared to either prototype. The black prototype's mids were a bit warmer catering towards male vocals in particular. The upper mids on the red one felt a bit over emphasized for vocals, particularly female vocals. In the mids the ESR-MKII just skirts it down the middle, not over emphasizing anything in the mid range to my ears. Again I think the ESR skirts it down the middle but leaning towards a bit brighter, at least brighter than the black prototype, but not as bright as the red one but closer to it.

I am an owner of a custom Empire Ears Spartan-IV, so in a way the ESR-MKII is the third revision of the EE model that I own. The Spartan is overall a bit warmer than the ESR-MKII and less detailed than it. To me the ESR-MKII very analytical and detailed, which was by design since it is meant to be a reference monitor, hence the name Empire Studio Reference (ESR). The ESR is not boring though as it still has very tight punchy bass (not emphasized, just extremely well controlled) and a bit of treble sparkle that keeps it interesting while still being analytical and highly revealing. Not that the Spartan-IV is bad, but in comparison to the ESR-MKII, the bass is looser and less controlled and there is a bit more lower mid warmth than the ESR-MKII. The ESR-MKII also has better treble extension than the Spartan-IV.

Probably a bit more than everyone was asking for but figured I'd try to cover as much as I could on describing the ESR-MKII. I have the full Empire Ears lineup at the moment, so just let me know if any of you have any questions and want any particular models in the lineup compared to each other.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #35,190 of 40,577
These are the Mk II, I've had them since Monday night. It's like they changed, and they are just flipping awesome! I was thinking of going ESR, now I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back