Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 17, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #32,251 of 40,587
I’d say Smokehead….for the bassheads. Also apt given the skull rattling woofers and / or BC drivers.

1631854539028.jpeg

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #32,252 of 40,587
Nice, I was thinking a dry Zyr Martini, but with dual W9+ subs, there would be a lot of spillage with those damned martini glasses!

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #32,254 of 40,587
There is no whiskey talk without mention of Macallan now, is there😁.

Wow...people still lug DAPs outside. I gave up on that a long time ago....
I thought that is what DAP is for? 90% of listening of my portable gear is outside home. Otherwise my sp2000 could fund a decent desktop rig lol.
Now what would really get me surprised, is if he had Chord Dave wrapped around his waste and a tube amp plugged to his chopper's battery 😋

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #32,255 of 40,587
There is no whiskey talk without mention of Macallan now, is there😁.

I thought that is what DAP is for? 90% of listening of my portable gear is outside home. Otherwise my sp2000 could fund a decent desktop rig lol.
Now what would really get me surprised, is if he had Chord Dave wrapped around his waste and a tube amp plugged to his chopper's battery 😋
I can’t be bothered with that anymore . Too many things to carry. Phone, wallet , keys .
Maybe he’s got a manpurse …but I’m not one of those guys !

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #32,256 of 40,587
I can’t be bothered with that anymore . Too many things to carry. Phone, wallet , keys .
Yeh i get you. I am actually carrying 2 phones, a dap, a wallet and then keys ect. I somehow got used to it.
Obviously that is one of reasons why i really cant stand the trend of idiotic dap sizes release recently.
Something like dx300 scared the crap out of me when i opened the box. And i sold it within 2 weeks just because of size.

Hope the screen size wars will calm down. Until then my sp2000 is going nowhere.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #32,257 of 40,587
Well I tried the W2, but after the initial excitement, I slunk back sheepishly to my SP2000, particularly when listening with the Odins. And no I don’t own a manpurse - only because it wouldn’t be very practical very when riding my Ducati Panigale - I use something called a backpack.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #32,258 of 40,587
Well I tried the W2, but after the initial excitement, I slunk back sheepishly to my SP2000, particularly when listening with the Odins. And no I don’t own a manpurse - only because it wouldn’t be very practical very when riding my Ducati Panigale - I use something called a backpack.
^^^One of the better humblebrag head-fi posts I've seen.^^^ :smile:

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #32,260 of 40,587
Yeh i get you. I am actually carrying 2 phones, a dap, a wallet and then keys ect. I somehow got used to it.
Obviously that is one of reasons why i really cant stand the trend of idiotic dap sizes release recently.
Something like dx300 scared the crap out of me when i opened the box. And i sold it within 2 weeks just because of size.

Hope the screen size wars will calm down. Until then my sp2000 is going nowhere.
I carried two phones for a while. I finally just put my work and personal numbers on the same phone with dual sims (one esim and one physical sim). One phone is so much nicer. My phone is my dap when I am out. My real daps, IEMs and headphones are home use. Can't listen to them at work or in the car anyway, but I can bluetooth my phone to my car and to my Bluetooth speaker I have at work.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #32,261 of 40,587
Two brothers with the same genes but such different personalities!!

The LXSE and LX brothers. An EVO sibling on the way!

IMG_8577.jpg

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #32,262 of 40,587
The differences between the LXSE and LX are small but can be large. I look at Audiograms at work so no interest in looking at frequency graphs during my hobby time. My impressions are from my warped mind.

I have had LXSE for a chunk of time. This is my 5th time having the LX so I am also very familiar with it. There seems to be a slight upper mid bump with the LXSE. What that does to the overall signature is of ridiculous interest to me. This bump tilts up the treble on the LXSE which makes sense. LXSE and LX can have the same Bass sound but depends on the song. If the song has a lot of treble and upper mids then the LX has more bass sound. A big difference I notice is with vocals which makes sense. Male vocals shine on the LX since the "tilt"of the LX is toward the bass. Female vocals shine more on the LXSE due to the upper mid bump. The tilt toward the upper frequencies.

Both are technical wonders to me. It had to be very hard to create such a rich bass sound and not turn the rest of the IEM into a V shaped mess. Which is usually the case IMO with IEMs with a lot of mid bass.

Both personalities of these siblings are a joy. Just in different ways.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #32,263 of 40,587
Two brothers with the same genes but such different personalities!!

The LXSE and LX brothers. An EVO sibling on the way!

IMG_8577.jpg
Next picture will be Bob at the dentist getting fillings put back in right? :p

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #32,264 of 40,587
I was only really curious about the Crystals because they get such glowing reviews from so many people, but if they push upper mids/treble that's a no-go for me.
Funny how our ears are different; crystals are more lower mids and bass oriented to me than let's say the CP145 which I find the best balance with treble sparkle and strong subbass rumble. Granted, I only have 1.5 IEMs to test it with, but Crystals actually mutes the treble slightly similar to Xelestecs. I think they're excellent and will just depend on the IEM

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #32,265 of 40,587
I was only really curious about the Crystals because they get such glowing reviews from so many people, but if they push upper mids/treble that's a no-go for me.

I haven't forgotten to try them on IE900... too much work stuff getting in the way this week! I'll definitely try tonight - IE900 a good treble test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back