Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 30, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #31,531 of 40,587
Not about the experience itself, but rather my weirdly shaped (sharp bend) left earcanal :D that ends up turning CIEMs into short-nozzle customs which messes up the tuning.
As I have said, that 'weirdly shaped (sharp bend) left ear canal' is more an except than norm. And it should already be known that the eventual CIEM would mess up the tuning so really, I wouldn't expect any reputable brand to proceed and make a product that is not according to specs. Fitear, many years ago, checked each individual's CIEM before consenting to mod the 335DW to the SR edition, and other brands have turned down customs where they couldn't deliver the final product based on molds they couldn't (or wouldn't want to) work with.

@CL14715 said there's a variability in depth depending on ear anatomy even with customs. I also suspect there are other factors with how ear anatomy affects sound perception that we just arn't aware of.

You really can't eliminate that variation with the molds that we have anyhow so its a trade off.
Customs are not perfect. For sure. There will be people for whose ears a Custom wouldn't do, just as there are those (like me) who cannot wear a Universal for more than 30 minutes +/-. All things being equal, ie normal ear anatomy + well-made custom + good seal, my own (biased) opinion and experience is a Custom is better than Universal.

Anyway, I'd just like to wrap this thread up by saying that the concept of Customizing (or Bespoke), be it for an IEM or suit, shoes, etc, exists to make it fit the individual. Eye glasses and dentures are customs regardless of biological irregularities, that for the rest of the non-essential commodities, even an CIEM for the abnormal ear canal is possible on a money no object basis.

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #31,532 of 40,587
As I have said, that 'weirdly shaped (sharp bend) left ear canal' is more an except than norm. And it should already be known that the eventual CIEM would mess up the tuning so really, I wouldn't expect any reputable brand to proceed and make a product that is not according to specs. Fitear, many years ago, checked each individual's CIEM before consenting to mod the 335DW to the SR edition, and other brands have turned down customs where they couldn't deliver the final product based on molds they couldn't (or wouldn't want to) work with.

Customs are not perfect. For sure. There will be people for whose ears a Custom wouldn't do, just as there are those (like me) who cannot wear a Universal for more than 30 minutes +/-. All things being equal, ie normal ear anatomy + well-made custom + good seal, my own (biased) opinion and experience is a Custom is better than Universal.

Anyway, I'd just like to wrap this thread up by saying that the concept of Customizing (or Bespoke), be it for an IEM or suit, shoes, etc, exists to make it fit the individual. Eye glasses and dentures are customs regardless of biological irregularities, that for the rest of the non-essential commodities, even an CIEM for the abnormal ear canal is possible on a money no object basis.
Like you... most Uni I can use for 30min to 1h max. Aside from the InEar SD5 (after finding the right tips) that I can use for hours.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #31,533 of 40,587
Erm why? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
It enables a person to hear the technical differences between IEMs. Does that not interest you?

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #31,534 of 40,587
It enables a person to hear the technical differences between IEMs. Does that not interest you?
As much as I like technicality, I like judging the tuning with the technicality.

To FR both to the same seems to be more testing the theoretical capabilities of the iem than say the actual capabilites it can.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #31,535 of 40,587
Like you... most Uni I can use for 30min to 1h max. Aside from the InEar SD5 (after finding the right tips) that I can use for hours.

I must be lucky to have the ears/canals I do since all 6 of my universal flagships allow me to listen for hours at a time. I typically use medium size tips on my BA sets and medium large on my DD sets with final E tips as my reference.

The reason for me changing over to IEMs from headphones was that even with flagships from final, Focal, and Audeze, I could get maybe 2 hours max before the discomfort set in. I guess my head is too soft. 😁

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #31,536 of 40,587
As much as I like technicality, I like judging the tuning with the technicality.

To FR both to the same seems to be more testing the theoretical capabilities of the iem than say the actual capabilites it can.
I don't tune IEMs as much as my full sized headphones. I don't EQ to sound like each other either except to test technical capabilities. I've done that as they sound too much alike making them redundant. But, as an audiophile that wants to know as much as possible about everything audio, I find it intriguing to do.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #31,537 of 40,587
I must be lucky to have the ears/canals I do since all 6 of my universal flagships allow me to listen for hours at a time. I typically use medium size tips on my BA sets and medium large on my DD sets with final E tips as my reference.

The reason for me changing over to IEMs from headphones was that even with flagships from final, Focal, and Audeze, I could get maybe 2 hours max before the discomfort set in. I guess my head is too soft. 😁
That’s nice. Haven’t had Audeze outside of a local dealer listening session, but I agree with Focal. It was ok, but not for long. The Diana and ZMF were ones that I found to be comfortable for hours.

Just remembered, Odin with CP155 was also really comfortable. 64 NIO was ok, not for long as well. To be fair… I also didn’t have much patience (or willing to spend lots in tips) with most of my Uni’s. Mostly tried with the stock ones + a handful of aftermarket ones.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #31,538 of 40,587

I hear you. That's the same for me.
Also wearing an iem is more comfortable when doing an activity or in the gym.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #31,540 of 40,587
Another crazy I’ve done is sold my universal LX and got a customised one. I think even if the EVO turns out to be LX 2.0, I’ll keep my LX for technical and sentimental reasons (my first IEM traipse down the audio rabbit hole) and I won’t let myself regret it. LX hits all the right spots for the type of music I listen to, with no fatigue whatsoever.
I agree. I also have a Custom LX and I love it. The fit and noise isolation are so good that I use them when I fly. The elevated bass and non fatiguing treble are perfect for long trips. The bass is elevated enough to hear above the plane noise. As long as I have my Custom LX, I will always have a use case for them.

I used to travel to Singapore 4 times a year from Florida. It was a 30 hour trip door to door, but I loved going there for the food and clubs. I went there for a 3 week trip in the 1990s when the song "What is Love" by Haddaway first came out. It played all the time in the Singapore Clubs. So, I am now listening to the Club mix of this song with my Custom LX and it is bringing back great memories. The Legend X is my bass head Club experience IEM. The EVO will be even more of it.

https://tidal.com/browse/track/23932858

This track also shows off the bass chops of the LX. Makes me want to go dancing again. "Fun" by Chris Brown

https://tidal.com/browse/track/37617770

And, there is always Michael Jackson. "Dirty Diana" really shows off the LX.

https://tidal.com/browse/track/16953809

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #31,541 of 40,587

Or the ears are too hard (like me), and do not feel nice being compressed against soft heads. :ksc75smile:

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #31,542 of 40,587
I’m going to come out and say it. Whilst I appreciate the topic (putting aside the emotional aspects thereunder), I’m a noob and lazy person who only cares about how my music choices sound with an IEM. So whatever the number and type of drivers, I’m keeping my LX, LX SE and I’m getting EVO 🤪
Yep, sign me up!
Anyone else ready to have their head rattled by some W9+ goodies in the Legend Evo? 🤭😎
Get in line 😁
Use the LX for whenever you exercise. Seriously, I got the A12t mainly for the gym and having CIEMs + TOTL sound is a game changer. I know it’s taboo nowadays to use a wire with working out but I’m rolling back the years and loving it.
Not that I exercise enough to sweat (note to self: maybe I should), but if it doesn't have an IPX rating or costs more than I can afford to throw away it's not going anywhere near my ears when I'm hypothetically sweating. TWS with IPX 4+ for me, thanks.
I don't tune IEMs as much as my full sized headphones. I don't EQ to sound like each other either except to test technical capabilities. I've done that as they sound too much alike making them redundant. But, as an audiophile that wants to know as much as possible about everything audio, I find it intriguing to do.
I guess it's interesting from an academic perspective, but practically I wouldn't really EQ anything if I'm not going to listen to it EQd. Curious to see your findings, though.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #31,545 of 40,587
I agree. I also have a Custom LX and I love it. The fit and noise isolation are so good that I use them when I fly. The elevated bass and non fatiguing treble are perfect for long trips. The bass is elevated enough to hear above the plane noise. As long as I have my Custom LX, I will always have a use case for them.

I used to travel to Singapore 4 times a year from Florida. It was a 30 hour trip door to door, but I loved going there for the food and clubs. I went there for a 3 week trip in the 1990s when the song "What is Love" by Haddaway first came out. It played all the time in the Singapore Clubs. So, I am now listening to the Club mix of this song with my Custom LX and it is bringing back great memories. The Legend X is my bass head Club experience IEM. The EVO will be even more of it.

https://tidal.com/browse/track/23932858

This track also shows off the bass chops of the LX. Makes me want to go dancing again. "Fun" by Chris Brown

https://tidal.com/browse/track/37617770

And, there is always Michael Jackson. "Dirty Diana" really shows off the LX.

https://tidal.com/browse/track/16953809
aka Brannigans...now Brix....now still closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back