Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #26,071 of 40,560
Hey, everyone. After some terribly unfortunate delays, my First Look at the Odin is finally live on TheHeadphoneList.com! Hopefully, it'll add at least a bit more insight to the plethora already shared on this very thread, along with a few more faceplate pics to add to the pile too. :D As always, I hope y'all enjoy, and the full review will come hopefully sooner than later. Cheers. :)

P.S. I don't go in-depth on the Odin's much-discussed upper-midrange peak in the teaser, as it's something I'd like to delve further into on the full review. But, over the course of writing it, I have discovered that insertion depth affects how it sits in the mix quite a lot; more than most. As someone who typically sits universals a tad further out to tone down the upper-mids, I was surprised to find doing so on the Odin had the opposite effect. Inserting it deeper actually helped fill out the bottom and bring the high-mids better in-line. It also made the slight treble colouration I discussed a few weeks ago even less noticeable, which was great to hear. As always, with universals, it's important to mess around with tips and depths; if anything, just to know what the in-ear you have is capable of. But, with the Odin, especially, I feel it can help alleviate what some may call its "quirks" and make it a bit more palatable to those who'd previously dismissed it. Obviously, though, if it doesn't, to each their own, but there's no harm in trying. :)
I am not sure I should say thank you for making the sound of a $3,000.00 IEM more accessible! 😎

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #26,072 of 40,560
I am not sure I should say thank you for making the sound of a $3,000.00 IEM more accessible! 😎

I tried my best to put it in context. The tip (no pun intended) was solely for those who already owned the Odin and liked everything about it but the upper-midrange rise. If you already love the in-ear or didn't enjoy it at all to begin with, then it'll obviously not be of any merit. No matter the cost of the IEM, there'll always be a subjective side to it that people simply will or won't jive with. I, again, am just sharing a small observation that may help those owners discover new sides to their very expensive purchase.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #26,073 of 40,560
I’m still loving them

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #26,074 of 40,560
I tried my best to put it in context. The tip (no pun intended) was solely for those who already owned the Odin and liked everything about it but the upper-midrange rise. If you already love the in-ear or didn't enjoy it at all to begin with, then it'll obviously not be of any merit. No matter the cost of the IEM, there'll always be a subjective side to it that people simply will or won't jive with. I, again, am just sharing a small observation that may help those owners discover new sides to their very expensive purchase.
Deez, I was just kidding with you. Excellent job as usual. Maybe down the road.....

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #26,075 of 40,560
Deez, I was just kidding with you. Excellent job as usual. Maybe down the road.....

No worries, man. 'Really appreciate it. :) Hopefully, it'll only be a matter of time until the world starts getting back to normal and trade shows become a thing again. :D

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #26,076 of 40,560
Nov 22, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #26,077 of 40,560
Are you enjoying Valkyrie?

I'll admit they sounded pretty rough out of the box. They have smoothed up quite a bit (more than I would have thought.). I'm really enjoying them. Love the custom fit.

Also, I have the Audeze LCD-4s for home use and those are just beyond stellar. They set a high bar. The valkyries are fun portables.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #26,078 of 40,560
Buying it new. Lost my mind. Damn.
I'll admit they sounded pretty rough out of the box. They have smoothed up quite a bit (more than I would have thought.). I'm really enjoying them. Love the custom fit.

Also, I have the Audeze LCD-4s for home use and those are just beyond stellar. They set a high bar. The valkyries are fun portables.
Hope they sound better than LCD-i4 (they do for sure) because I prefer Valkyrie over LCD-i4 :)

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #26,079 of 40,560
I can't quite hear that mid spike at all. I love how none of the sounds fatigue me. Even after long hours or waking up and going for a spin. Lol.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #26,080 of 40,560
got nothin to say about the odin's sound...but that photo is :ok_hand:

Much appreciated! :)

I can't quite hear that mid spike at all. I love how none of the sounds fatigue me. Even after long hours or waking up and going for a spin. Lol.

As everything is, it's subjective. I personally don't find the upper-mids too brass-y or reed-y on most recordings too, but that can't apply to absolutely everyone.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #26,081 of 40,560
Hey, everyone. After some terribly unfortunate delays, my First Look at the Odin is finally live on TheHeadphoneList.com! Hopefully, it'll add at least a bit more insight to the plethora already shared on this very thread, along with a few more faceplate pics to add to the pile too. :D As always, I hope y'all enjoy, and the full review will come hopefully sooner than later. Cheers. :)

P.S. I don't go in-depth on the Odin's much-discussed upper-midrange peak in the teaser, as it's something I'd like to delve further into on the full review. But, over the course of writing it, I have discovered that insertion depth affects how it sits in the mix quite a lot; more than most. As someone who typically sits universals a tad further out to tone down the upper-mids, I was surprised to find doing so on the Odin had the opposite effect. Inserting it deeper actually helped fill out the bottom and bring the high-mids better in-line. It also made the slight treble colouration I discussed a few weeks ago even less noticeable, which was great to hear. As always, with universals, it's important to mess around with tips and depths; if anything, just to know what the in-ear you have is capable of. But, with the Odin, especially, I feel it can help alleviate what some may call its "quirks" and make it a bit more palatable to those who'd previously dismissed it. Obviously, though, if it doesn't, to each their own, but there's no harm in trying. :)

hi Deezel

Enjoyed your first impression on the Odin. As usual, I love all your impressions which is well-written and accurate/true/fair. Love those comparisons and suitable/non-suitable notes section too. I look forward to the eventual full review too. Thx.

PS: Your photo captured those bifrost faceplates design vividly, one of the best I’ve seen. The colors and hues is amazing just like the clear and vivid sound of the Odin haha.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #26,082 of 40,560
I still love my Odin too. I love the superb clarity. It is a bright tones and higher pitch tuning/signature which is what give it the excellent clarity. Love the intensity, fast transients and palpable present of the Odin sound as well. It’s difficult to switch to other earphones after listening to the Odin.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #26,083 of 40,560

Me neither, so I'm quite mystified at how people are hearing that, even taking into account how differently people hear things. To complete the picture, I pair mine with a Crystal Cable Dream Duet (yes I'm not a fan of the Stormbreaker) and my Sony ZX507 (or occasionally WM1Z). Tips used are the SednaFit (1 size down and a deeper fit - again not a fan at all of the Final E tips, those alone tweak the sound way out of spin and almost always producing weird peaks across the FR).

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #26,084 of 40,560
hi Deezel

Enjoyed your first impression on the Odin. As usual, I love all your impressions which is well-written and accurate/true/fair. Love those comparisons and suitable/non-suitable notes section too. I look forward to the eventual full review too. Thx.

PS: Your photo captured those bifrost faceplates design vividly, one of the best I’ve seen. The colors and hues is amazing just like the clear and vivid sound of the Odin haha.

Many, many thanks for that my friend. I look forward to getting that full review up and going ASAP too. :)

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #26,085 of 40,560
Me neither, so I'm quite mystified at how people are hearing that, even taking into account how differently people hear things. To complete the picture, I pair mine with a Crystal Cable Dream Duet (yes I'm not a fan of the Stormbreaker) and my Sony ZX507 (or occasionally WM1Z). Tips used are the SednaFit (1 size down and a deeper fit - again not a fan at all of the Final E tips, those alone tweak the sound way out of spin and almost always producing weird peaks across the FR).
I didn't even begin tip-rolling. I want to pair it with a nice dap and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back