Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 27, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #25,741 of 40,587
those of you who are fans of the 90s rock , these series of 65 Primus Live shows from their 2003-4 tours are ESSENTIAL stuff - and the sound is mindblowing - imagine Rush jamming while on psychedelics and merged with Tool sound (Lateralus era)

makes their studio albums (which have very mediocre production due to low budget) sound like amateurish demos

whole 2003-4 tour is on the playlist right (all 65 shows), if you want the FLAC files (which are not being sold anymore and are out of print for many years now) , pm me

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #25,742 of 40,587
So thanks to @NickMit for pointing it out, and @Scorpio1957 for explaining where exactly it is. I manged to audition Odin and Hero in Harrods.
The fellow in listening lounge actually let me use my own cable, tips and dap! It was very easy to compare to my LX with my own music i know well.

I was just blown away by Odins technicalities. That soundstage is just amazing. I used it on my moded dx228 on high gain and was surprised that it did not have any background noise.
The treble and upper midrange was just so spot on for me, i actually thought it will require warmer dap but no, its all perfect no harshness, no sibilance.
Bass, while its nowhere near LX, it actually is not at all bass light. And even being basshead-ish i could live with it, no problem.
Also what i noticed, at least bass did not respond much to EQ. But then i was never a fan of EQing bass.

Hero? When i first saw FR graph i thought. Nah, not for me. But actually it was quite enjoyable. Its not Odin or LX in technicalities, but not far and still impressive. For a price they are amazing. Id take it over something like CA Atlas any day.
Bass is slight more prominent than Odin. But less than LX and with a bit more mid bass focus than the other two.
I was expecting it to have thicker midrange and while warmer sound than Oding it was actually just where i wanted it to be with the rest of signature. Maybe because treble is slightly more forward.
On hero i could clearly feel the difference between estat trable and LX BA treble.
(Odin did not have that much obvious estat smoothness. It was actually quite sparkly) im quite treble sensitive and yet i did not find that forward Hero treble fatiguing at all.

After today i think i know how i would like my perfect iem to sound. It would be Odins grand soundstage upper mids and that fantastic treble combined with LX bass with maybe a touch less midbass. (Or in other words Odin bass FR curve with few dbs more in quantity.)

Really happy to have that oportunity to listen to EE new babies. I can now officially declare myself EE fanboy as i love all 3 of their iems.

I only had a listen of each for 20-30 mins and i mainly listen to electronic music. So take my impressions with a pinch of salt. There are plenty owners who can give better impression than me.

All in all it was a fantastic experience.

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #25,743 of 40,587
So thanks to @NickMit for pointing it out, and @Scorpio1957 for explaining where exactly it is. I manged to audition Odin and Hero in Harrods.
The fellow in listening lounge actually let me use my own cable, tips and dap! It was very easy to compare to my LX with my own music i know well.

I was just blown away by Odins technicalities. That soundstage is just amazing. I used it on my moded dx228 on high gain and was surprised that it did not have any background noise.
The treble and upper midrange was just so spot on for me, i actually thought it will require warmer dap but no, its all perfect no harshness, no sibilance.
Bass, while its nowhere near LX, it actually is not at all bass light. And even being basshead-ish i could live with it, no problem.
Also what i noticed, at least bass did not respond much to EQ. But then i was never a fan of EQing bass.

Hero? When i first saw FR graph i thought. Nah, not for me. But actually it was quite enjoyable. Its not Odin or LX in technicalities, but not far and still impressive. For a price they are amazing. Id take it over something like CA Atlas any day.
Bass is slight more prominent than Odin. But less than LX and with a bit more mid bass focus than the other two.
I was expecting it to have thicker midrange and while warmer sound than Oding it was actually just where i wanted it to be with the rest of signature. Maybe because treble is slightly more forward.
On hero i could clearly feel the difference between estat trable and LX BA treble.
(Odin did not have that much obvious estat smoothness. It was actually quite sparkly) im quite treble sensitive and yet i did not find that forward Hero treble fatiguing at all.

After today i think i know how i would like my perfect iem to sound. It would be Odins grand soundstage upper mids and that fantastic treble combined with LX bass with maybe a touch less midbass. (Or in other words Odin bass FR curve with few dbs more in quantity.)

Really happy to have that oportunity to listen to EE new babies. I can now officially declare myself EE fanboy as i love all 3 of their iems.

I only had a listen of each for 20-30 mins and i mainly listen to electronic music. So take my impressions with a pinch of salt. There are plenty owners who can give better impression than me.

1 - you will visit harrods again , soon.
2 - you will end up buying odin.

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #25,745 of 40,587
You are bassically anticipating my divorce.

In reality i think i will see you with Odin first. That Zeus has to break one day..

His backup (Mass)Drop Zeus will hold him over until EE Zeus is reborn. @proedros will never be without a Zeus.

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #25,746 of 40,587
The bass has to be there, or I'm out. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD800S' that I really, really liked. But there was always a void in the music. I sold them and used the money to buy a pair of Audeze LCD-4s without audition (Houston, TX is a wasteland for audio).

Imagine if you're listening to something and the highs are missing, or the midrange is sucked way out of the music? If bass isn't there, you aren't listen to how it's intended to hear.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #25,747 of 40,587
The bass has to be there, or I'm out. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD800S' that I really, really liked. But there was always a void in the music. I sold them and used the money to buy a pair of Audeze LCD-4s without audition (Houston, TX is a wasteland for audio).

Imagine if you're listening to something and the highs are missing, or the midrange is sucked way out of the music? If bass isn't there, you aren't listen to how it's intended to hear.
Im on a same page with you. But an owner of LX who finds its bass quantity enjoyable,i can tell that Odin subbass is not bad at all. I could see midbass being a bit light. But for my music and taste i prefer subbass authority.
Would i like a bit more bass on Odin? yes. Would the bass quantity on odin be a deal breaker? Not sure. If i was given an oportunity to pick between LX and Odin regardless of price. It would drive me nuts. And id regret my decision whatever my the choice was.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #25,748 of 40,587
Im on a same page with you. But an owner of LX who finds its bass quantity enjoyable,i can tell that Odin subbass is not bad at all. I could see midbass being a bit light. But for my music and taste i prefer subbass authority.
Would i like a bit more bass on Odin? yes. Would the bass quantity on odin be a deal breaker? Not sure. If i was given an oportunity to pick between LX and Odin regardless of price. It would drive me nuts. And id regret my decision whatever my the choice was.
Yeah there’s just something about how detailed and authentic Odin’s subbass is. I too cannot choose between LX or Odin for a favorite bass. Guess it depends on the genre; Odin for Metal where I need faster and agile bass, and LX for EDM for that boom.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #25,749 of 40,587

Beyond jealous. Would love to hear Odin.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #25,750 of 40,587
You are bassically anticipating my divorce.

In reality i think i will see you with Odin first. That Zeus has to break one day..

His backup (Mass)Drop Zeus will hold him over until EE Zeus is reborn. @proedros will never be without a Zeus.

5000 hours and counting , gentlemen - this is without a doubt my best investement in this crazy place :)

amd no MD zeus here - only custom , no unis anymore for these ears :xf_cool:

as for when Zeus breaks etc , well we'll see what to do when it happens

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #25,751 of 40,587

You could try wider-bore tips like Spiral Dots to give the bass more mass. I’ve found the smaller-bored, stock Final tips can actually “choke” the bass somewhat.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #25,752 of 40,587
You could try wider-bore tips like Spiral Dots to give the bass more mass. I’ve found the smaller-bored, stock Final tips can actually “choke” the bass somewhat.
I am using the Sedna Earfit light shorts and the bass appears to be more prominent.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #25,753 of 40,587
Also, regarding the bass of the ODIN. I think it is important to not confuse the fact that ODIN doesn't add a heck of a lot of color to the music does not mean it is bass light. I have had ODIN since one of the first units were shipped and I will say that to my ears the dual W 9+s do pump out the bass when they should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back