Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 12, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #24,991 of 40,577
If it helps, it’s nowhere near as sharp or crisp up top as the Noble Khan. I was just saying that it’s sharp-est at around 8kHz; not that that region was offensively sharp to begin with.
well that is interesting to know as i have no issues with the khan, well if EE would like to send me a unit to review I am ready, and if I like it I will buy it

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #24,992 of 40,577
If it helps, it’s nowhere near as sharp or crisp up top as the Noble Khan. I was just saying that it’s sharp-est at around 8kHz; not that that region was offensively sharp to begin with.

Isn’t that the frequency where sibilance can be present?

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #24,993 of 40,577
Isn’t that the frequency where sibilance can be present?

Not to most, as far as I know. Based on what I've seen, the most common "problem area" when it comes to sibilance seems to be 6kHz. That's where mine is too. Even then, again, the Odin's 8kHz peak shouldn't be offensive to most. In retrospect, rather than "sharpest", I should've said that that 8kHz region is where the Odin strays most from my definition of neutral. And, based from experience, my neutral is a lot of people's warm, so I'm fairly confident it won't be a problem at all to anyone but the most treble-adverse. Again, I'm not saying the region is sharp and prominent in-and-of-itself. It isn't as crisp as the ELYSIUM's, if that helps. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #24,995 of 40,577
Not to most, as far as I know. Based on what I've seen, the most common "problem area" when it comes to sibilance seems to be 6kHz. That's where mine is too. Even then, again, the Odin's 8kHz peak shouldn't be offensive to most. In retrospect, rather than "sharpest", I should've said that that 8kHz region is where the Odin strays most from my definition of neutral. And, based from experience, my neutral is a lot of people's warm, so I'm fairly confident it won't be a problem at all to anyone but the most treble-adverse. Again, I'm not saying the region is sharp and prominent in-and-of-itself. It isn't as crisp as the ELYSIUM's, if that helps. :wink:
So I’m sure you are working on a review, but now that you have the Odins (or have listened to them), would be very interested in hearing your impressions Daniel while the review is still cooking.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #24,996 of 40,577
So I’m sure you are working on a review, but now that you have the Odins (or have listened to them), would be very interested in hearing your impressions Daniel while the review is still cooking.

I've written down a fair number of notes after my initial listen, but I've decided to - speaking of cooking - give them some runtime before I write anything concrete. I plan to start working on the First Look early next week, so, hopefully, it'll be up in a week or so from now. :)

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #24,997 of 40,577
This is really not my business, but are you aware of the Valk MKII? Release is imminent. Not sure if/when it will be available as a custom, but if you’re not aware of it, perhaps worth reading about it. Just trying to help make sure you’re aware/informed.

As I've gotten older, I realize newest isn't always such a good thing. I'll shoot them an email and inquire but it doesn't disappoint me. Unfortunately, unable to try out all the choices, so just went for something that really sounded like what i would want. I'm not a big portable listener, though.

Thank you, very much, for the up to date information. Where might I found out anything about the MKII?

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #24,998 of 40,577
As I've gotten older, I realize newest isn't always such a good thing. I'll shoot them an email and inquire but it doesn't disappoint me. Unfortunately, unable to try out all the choices, so just went for something that really sounded like what i would want. I'm not a big portable listener, though.

Thank you, very much, for the up to date information. Where might I found out anything about the MKII?
No worries.
There's a fair bit of info posted online, but here are a couple to give you a flavor...the W9 is updated to the new W9+, I believe EIVEC has also been updated (but don't quote me on that), and they will prob ship with the newer Alpha-IV cable from EA.

https://crinacle.com/2020/08/09/sneak-peek-empire-ears-2020-lineup/

1599935363286.png

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #24,999 of 40,577
No worries.
There's a fair bit of info posted online, but here are a couple to give you a flavor...the W9 is updated to the new W9+, I believe EIVEC has also been updated (but don't quote me on that), and they will prob ship with the newer Alpha-IV cable from EA.

https://crinacle.com/2020/08/09/sneak-peek-empire-ears-2020-lineup/

1599935363286.png

I may have to get a set of these for my outdoor activities since I don’t feel comfortable exercising with my Odins for fear of damaging them.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #25,000 of 40,577
I may have to get a set of these for my outdoor activities since I don’t feel comfortable exercising with my Odins for fear of damaging them.
Should be an entirely different sound sig than the Odin, though - completely different animal.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #25,001 of 40,577
Should be an entirely different sound sig than the Odin, though - completely different animal.

Thank you, yeah, I’m not familiar with the Valkyrie sound, but Empire has become my new favorite brand along with final that I’m lusting for another set. Will the madness never end! 🤪

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #25,002 of 40,577

back in 2011 , i went to the gym with my then-top iem , a 250$ Hifiman RE-262

one day i broke them , and i learned my lesson - keep your top iems far away from gum/exercise STUPID

hoping you don't learn your lesson the hard/3400$ way

keep your odin at home , buy something cheapo for when you work out

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #25,003 of 40,577
Lol working out with Odins would be super ambitious. I’ve done Andromedas/Atlas in the past but ultimately TWS is the only way for me now at the gym (airpod pros being surprisingly very solid SQ)

Edit: ANC is also a must need IMO-can’t stand the grunters and crappy commercial gym music lol.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #25,005 of 40,577
Lol working out with Odins would be super ambitious. I’ve done Andromedas/Atlas in the past but ultimately TWS is the only way for me now at the gym (airpod pros being surprisingly very solid SQ)
Yeah, for me personally, I use air pod pros for working out - bluetooth is super convenient and sound quality is "good enough" given the use case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back