Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 26, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #24,346 of 40,591
Does anyone know if CIEMs are tuned differently to account for a better seal? I want to upgrade, but my Zeus' sound muddy with comply tips so I'm worried about being unhappy with something that I can't switch tips on.
Why Comply on a Zeus? You want more bass and less treble? Either get a better cable (inexpensive Eletech Fortitude or expensive PWAudio 1960 2-wire) or just better tips like black Sedna's. Cable will get you more change than tips but tips can make a difference as well. I tried Comply on my Zeus and it just lost too much transparency. Not muddy, just too much thickness in the middle. What DAP?

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #24,353 of 40,591
I was planning on attending both CanJam SoCal and Chicago this year... Sigh. I miss CanJams :cry:

You could always look at CanJam NYC in Feb. Since it's not on the 3-day weekend this year, I found great rates at the Marriott, already booked a room! Looking at Chicago, the room rates are sky-high, even the Marquis and near by Hiltons are already sold-out.

And don't forgot about Axpona in April. I know EE typically goes.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #24,354 of 40,591
Who freaked out? It’s a genuine question.

It’s hard to tell when you’re trolling or being serious.
No one. That wasn’t directed at you, I was speaking in general. The word better seems to be a trigger.

If I were to guess though.. considering the Odin is tuned with the best performing aspects of certain IEM’s before it... including Zeus, Wraith and then extremely well executed bass... how could it not be better? Hard to imagine they’d regress on the latest flagship.

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #24,355 of 40,591
No one. That wasn’t directed at you, I was speaking in general. The word better seems to be a trigger.

If I were to guess though.. considering the Odin is tuned with the best performing aspects of certain IEM’s before it... including Zeus, Wraith and then extremely well executed bass... how could it not be better? Hard to imagine they’d regress on the latest flagship.

I get what you’re saying. But like @olddude said, better is relative. Some may prefer the tuning and/or tonality of a different model, even if it’s older (and cheaper).

Anyway, it will be good to read a comparison of the two.

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #24,356 of 40,591
Again, better is relative. It is all a matter of taste. Facts are facts, opinions are just that.

And I'm hardly freaking out, simply stating a ... fact.

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #24,357 of 40,591
Again, better is relative. It is all a matter of taste. Facts are facts, opinions are just that.

And I'm hardly freaking out, simply stating a ... fact.
Again.. speaking in general hyperbole here. Better is always relative, I’m in the utmost agreement with that. In this case it was to get someone gassed up for fun. Relatively speaking though, I prefer the Odin over Zeus. Too bass lite for me.

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #24,358 of 40,591
Why Comply on a Zeus? You want more bass and less treble? Either get a better cable (inexpensive Eletech Fortitude or expensive PWAudio 1960 2-wire) or just better tips like black Sedna's. Cable will get you more change than tips but tips can make a difference as well. I tried Comply on my Zeus and it just lost too much transparency. Not muddy, just too much thickness in the middle. What DAP?
No, I wasn't trying to alter the sound quality, because actually the loss in transparency coming from silicone tips is what I noticed using the Comply tips. Sorry if I used the term muddy incorrectly. It feels to me like the songs I listen to are less coherent as a whole.

Well for now I'm just using a cheap Creative amp running out of my laptop, but the comparison of the Comply tips to the silicone tips is using the same source, so I expect the same thing to occur (maybe less noticably) when I buy a better dac/amp. But anyway the only reason I was trying different tips was because I have a larger ear canal on the left side, and I can't get consistent seal/comfort on both sides. Plus they tend to worm their way out on both sides if I'm getting too enthusiastic with my music. So I figure getting a CIEM might be able to address both problems at once, but I really am just worried about losing the transparency because they just sound so beautiful with the Final Audio tips. Still, I'll have to move on from Zeus if I want a CIEM, so it might be a moot point in asking because I'll have to let go of the sound signature anyway. But thanks for the reply in any case.:ksc75smile:

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #24,360 of 40,591
Just got mine!! My initial impression: Bass - deep but not overwhelming, controlled and articulate; Mid - quite neutral and resolving but also engaging; Treble - naturally extended, no harshness/sibilance, airy.
ODIN complements my Ultrasone Saphire very nicely. Saphire has warm, thick and laid-back sound signature, which is great for relaxing. Staging is wider with Saphire.

IMG_3890.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back