Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 24, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #24,211 of 40,577
There’s a sweetness to the Odin, a very refined sense of presentation throughout the frequency range. This is going to be fun ...

Sweetness? Are you sure you didn't put the Kit Kat in your ear by mistake? Does Odin also have crunchy highs? :wink:

I forgot to thank @Andrew DiMarcangelo for the Kit Kat included with my Hero.

Aug 24, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #24,213 of 40,577
Like so many other IEM's Giorgio by Moroder really showcases ODIN, what the heck that entire Daft Punk release kicks butt

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #24,215 of 40,577
Haha love that track, it’s a go to for any new piece of gear.

This one too ...

1598308048320.jpeg

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #24,216 of 40,577
The only issue with playing 'perfect' tracks like Giorgio is that most gear sounds amazing with them. Especially high-end gear. It's going to be harder to design a high-end IEM that doesn't sound amazing with Giorgio or Hotel California or Keith Don't Go. I mean, if any of those sound even remotely deficient or harsh or soft in any part of the frequency range with those tracks, just toss the IEM in the bin and move on.

Edit: just to add, whenever I'm reviewing or testing a new IEM or headphone that's meant to be really good and hit on a track and think 'eh, what happened there?' I almost always go back to one of these platinum reference tracks and 'ah, there it is.'

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #24,217 of 40,577
The candy is @Andrew DiMarcangelo's trademark...love that touch.
Only problem is that my wife caught onto it, so whenever she sees a new candy package in the pantry she knows I just got a new toy!
York peppermint patties are my favorite :)

That Kit Kat bar tasted good, especially after I froze it ... haven’t had one of those in many years and it makes me want to go out and buy a case, but I believe I’m having enough hedonistic pleasure with the Odin. 😂

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #24,218 of 40,577
The only issue with playing 'perfect' tracks like Giorgio is that most gear sounds amazing with them. Especially high-end gear. It's going to be harder to design a high-end IEM that doesn't sound amazing with Giorgio or Hotel California or Keith Don't Go. I mean, if any of those sound even remotely deficient or harsh or soft in any part of the frequency range with those tracks, just toss the IEM in the bin and move on.

Edit: just to add, whenever I'm reviewing or testing a new IEM or headphone that's meant to be really good and hit on a track and think 'eh, what happened there?' I almost always go back to one of these platinum reference tracks and 'ah, there it is.'
I was playing it because I enjoy it. Also, I did preface my post saying it sounds good with most IEMs. I do however have expectations of how it should sound. I have found when reviewing the TOTL stuff, I mix critical listening with pleasure listening because it just sounds so good and it is a pleasure. Even if it isn't my preferred signature I enjoy taking it all in.

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #24,219 of 40,577

I tend to agree with this. Though not often by any means, I have found records like Daft Punk's Random Access Memories that - almost idiosyncratically - are terrible for judging IEMs (both tonally and technically) simply because they sound good (i.e. acceptable or "realistic") through everything. Each subsequent IEM I play them through is just another 'flavour' of the record, but it's sublime all the same. Another example would be Oytun Ersan's Fusiolicious record. Track 2 - Mysterious Maze - is my personal favourite.

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #24,220 of 40,577
I tend to agree with this. Though not often by any means, I have found records like Daft Punk's Random Access Memories that - almost idiosyncratically - are terrible for judging IEMs (both tonally and technically) simply because they sound good (i.e. acceptable or "realistic") through everything. Each subsequent IEM I play them through is just another 'flavour' of the record, but it's sublime all the same. Another example would be Oytun Ersan's Fusiolicious record. Track 2 - Mysterious Maze - is my personal favourite.

Totally agree, some stuff is so well recorded it sounds good with anything. Dreams - Fleetwood, MJ stuff, Daft Punk RAM etc. All the same stuff but different flavours.

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #24,223 of 40,577
Aug 24, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #24,224 of 40,577
well then
i've listed my u12t and legend X

awaiting Odin now.....

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #24,225 of 40,577

The same can be said about poorly recorded tracks as well, in my opinion. High end gear typically exposes those rubbish mixes and sounds questionable. If that’s going to be a marker or standard, you’re basically asking for it to sound like garbage. I’d rather not unfairly perceive or critique a product due to a lackluster track or album.

Although great masterings such as a few referenced previously sound good on most everything... I think the TOTL flagships provide the extra capabilities to make them really stand out or provide another dimension. That’s what sets them apart for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back