Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 22, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #24,032 of 40,577
Love Sander :) saw him in 2006, one of my first live shows. Was incredible. Cheers for this!

if you love sander, then this mix is essential listening - just fantastic , the genre was hitting an all-time high then

i guess by 2006 the sound had began to change (it had already started to change since 2004...) but here ...just listen and hear for yourself :xf_cool:

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #24,033 of 40,577
if you love sander, then this mix is essential listening - just fantastic , the genre was hitting an all-time high then

i guess by 2006 the sound had began to change (it had already started to change since 2004...) but here ...just listen and hear for yourself :xf_cool:

Listening now :) yep, after he released 'The Fruit' he kinda went in that pop house direction but the live set I heard in 06 was great anyway

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #24,034 of 40,577
had the pleasure to test a few iems today as I went to pick up my Legend X
1. Odin
2. Hero
3. 64 Audio Nio

For some context - i originally pre-ordered the 64 Audio Nio back in late June before the cut off to get the premium silver cable, but I have not received them yet or had a chance to try them until today.

I am by no means a reviewer so the below is just my first/initial impression with not a lot of time of testing as I had a dinner to rush to

All 3 iem most likely have not 'burned in' yet so my impression may vary.
I ran all 3 through my own portable setup (Fiio Q5S)

1. Odin
- very very spacious and clear
- bass is present but not as much impact / rumble as i'd like it
- relatively smooth and very enjoyable

honestly speaking if they had an Odin today for me to pick up, I most likely would've walked away with it and be typing out my For Sale thread for my 64 Audio U12T right now.

2. Nio
- I tried the Nio right after the Odin and immediately the bass is more emphasized compared to the Odin.
- More bass impact, more sub bass
- However, not sure if it is because I heard the Odin first but almost everything outside the bass on the Nio seemed really really muffled to me. To the point I was double checking my seal and even changed to another pair of tips (i was using Final E initially then changed over the Sedna Xelastec... still sounds more muffled

3. Hero
- In my mind as I am putting my tips over to the Hero was.... lets see what @CL14715 says is true because his 'preferred' signature matches mine pretty accurately
- I think not even a minute in the same song I was immediately blown away by the vocal clarity, bass, and treble of the Hero
- It is not a Odin Jr. that is for sure
- Hero has more bass overall compared to the Nio while also a lot more clear in the mids to highs
- Nio is definitely a tad darker/warmer and smoother but since it sounded muffled to me, Hero wins this one.

After listening to the Hero, I was pretty certain I would cancel my pre-order for the Nio and asked if I could take home either the Odin or Hero today.
I let this be the deciding factor for me on which one I would take home.

Like i mentioned above - they did not have any Odin remaining so I was able to take home the Hero.
It wasn't the wrong choice for sure as I preferred the stronger bass presence of the Hero and I didn't want to spend an additional $3k+ today for the Odin as I was already picking up the Legend X.

I am not going to write about the Legend X here as its been discussed a lot but I think I will most likely wait for the Odin and sell my u12t and either keep the legend X or Hero. But I am sure some people want to know about the bass of Hero vs Legend X. To keep it short - if Legend X was a +6 on bass, the Hero would be a +4 ~ +5 for bass. Just a tad less.

Ultimately I feel having the Legend X + Odin or Hero + Odin should serve all my needs.
Sorry if this post isn't that detailed but just wanted to share my experience

Thank you,

Great impressions, and congrats on your purchase. Just a couple of comments if I may: listening to a warmer IEM like Nio either before or after a more reference tuning like Odin is strongly not recommended. It exacerbates the differences and doesn't reflect how you will eventually hear it. Leave it to play for a half an hour or so and you'll see how quickly your brain 'burns in' a more balanced sound. That said, of you prefer an airier, brighter sound, nothing wrong at all - at this level it's all a matter of preferences over technical ability.

Second, what sort of music were you testing with (what are your favourite tracks)? Just to add context to what you were hearing.

Again congrats and glad you managed to find your sound (and save some money in the process).

Edit: I'm surprised you found the Hero to have more bass than the Nio. Were you using the M15 on the Nio? Most criticisms I read about Nio almost always start with 'too bassy'. For me it has the perfect amount of bass, and can sometimes use a little less when there's a droning bassline in a track, and its mids are spot-on perfect for my preferences (euphonic is how I'd describe them).

All that said, your impressions mean I've added the Hero to my must-hear list (and removed the Odin).

Understandable and a good philosophy. I have a ways to go to find the right balance or systematic approach for reviews. I was more less referencing the fact that I knew it was going to draw some negativity and there was no way around it. It was a brand new IEM, mostly unknown completely and here I was about to praise the hell out of it because.. well.. it earned it. Then just before, “Impressions” were dropped by someone with a cult following basically contradicting most of what I had already typed in my review draft. At the end of the day though a few guys have heard the Hero and align with a majority of my review. I’m satisfied with that and It shows my perception wasn’t baseless or just hype.

Spot on. I would just say that there's a difference between 'first impressions' and longer term reviews, and I make a point of making that distinction in my own reviews. First impressions are almost always coloured by 'wow factor' (or lack thereof) and therefore skewed based on the emotion of that first listen. Nothing wrong with that, and it's fun sharing exhilarating experiences (like a roadtrip to EE as part of the 'pilgrimage'), but that's very different to a review done over a longer period that takes the sting out of that initial excitement. No criticism, just an observation. Keep sharing!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #24,035 of 40,577
just spent the past 2 hours taking turns on the Legend X and Hero

maybe im pressuring myself too much to decide which i want to let go to fund for the Odin since after posting my review I got a phone call saying the store I buy from will have an Odin coming very very soon...

Legend X - more bass, beautiful treble, but mids sound a bit recessed/thin in comparison with the Hero
Hero - tad less bass, very lush and full, decently smooth treble

man this is such a huge toss up - I really can't choose between the two yet

Are the signatures not that different? Would you say that the Hero is ‘smooth’ and decadent sounding like the Lx? Most report Hero to have a more aggressive tuning.

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #24,036 of 40,577
Great impressions, and congrats on your purchase. Just a couple of comments if I may: listening to a warmer IEM like Nio either before or after a more reference tuning like Odin is strongly not recommended. It exacerbates the differences and doesn't reflect how you will eventually hear it. Leave it to play for a half an hour or so and you'll see how quickly your brain 'burns in' a more balanced sound. That said, of you prefer an airier, brighter sound, nothing wrong at all - at this level it's all a matter of preferences over technical ability.

Second, what sort of music were you testing with (what are your favourite tracks)? Just to add context to what you were hearing.

Again congrats and glad you managed to find your sound (and save some money in the process).

Edit: I'm surprised you found the Hero to have more bass than the Nio. Were you using the M15 on the Nio? Most criticisms I read about Nio almost always start with 'too bassy'. For me it has the perfect amount of bass, and can sometimes use a little less when there's a droning bassline in a track, and its mids are spot-on perfect for my preferences (euphonic is how I'd describe them).

All that said, your impressions mean I've added the Hero to my must-hear list (and removed the Odin).

Spot on. I would just say that there's a difference between 'first impressions' and longer term reviews, and I make a point of making that distinction in my own reviews. First impressions are almost always coloured by 'wow factor' (or lack thereof) and therefore skewed based on the emotion of that first listen. Nothing wrong with that, and it's fun sharing exhilarating experiences (like a roadtrip to EE as part of the 'pilgrimage'), but that's very different to a review done over a longer period that takes the sting out of that initial excitement. No criticism, just an observation. Keep sharing!

i mainly listening to chinese pop - so not sure how relevant it really is

While I agree regarding the brain 'burn in' - i tried similar testing at home with my u12t vs legend x vs hero, while not a similar comparison like the nio, i did not have the same issue

On the Nio - i would be confident to say it was with the M15 module. Don't get me wrong, the Nio has wonderful bass but I felt the Hero had a bit more and just more energy while sounding very full.

For me personally, even if I compare the Legend X to the Hero for the past 5 hours I feel the Hero is more full sounding and lively whereas Legend X has more technicalities and more 'revealing' per say. Bass are quite similar (with the X a tad more).

I wish I had more time to give the Nio, Odin, and Hero more of a listen before making my choice but as of right now the Hero is definitely a keeper and I am actually leaning towards selling the Legend X in favor of the Odin

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #24,037 of 40,577
Are the signatures not that different? Would you say that the Hero is ‘smooth’ and decadent sounding like the Lx? Most report Hero to have a more aggressive tuning.

they are different yet similar.. in a sense?

im not too good with audiophile terms / reviewing

but on some tracks the Legend X shines more than the Hero and vice versa.

Overall though - I would base my decision on Legend X vs Hero on 2 factors
1) If I had to choose Legend X or Hero and only keep 1, what would be my other IEM?
If Odin, I would keep the Hero.
If U12T, I would keep the Legend X.

2) If i could only keep 1 iem which would I choose and why?
Sound preference towards technicalities - Legend X
Sound preference towards more fun and dynamic - Hero

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #24,038 of 40,577
i mainly listening to chinese pop - so not sure how relevant it really is

While I agree regarding the brain 'burn in' - i tried similar testing at home with my u12t vs legend x vs hero, while not a similar comparison like the nio, i did not have the same issue

On the Nio - i would be confident to say it was with the M15 module. Don't get me wrong, the Nio has wonderful bass but I felt the Hero had a bit more and just more energy while sounding very full.

For me personally, even if I compare the Legend X to the Hero for the past 5 hours I feel the Hero is more full sounding and lively whereas Legend X has more technicalities and more 'revealing' per say. Bass are quite similar (with the X a tad more).

I wish I had more time to give the Nio, Odin, and Hero more of a listen before making my choice but as of right now the Hero is definitely a keeper and I am actually leaning towards selling the Legend X in favor of the Odin
Thanks, that's helpful. How so with the U12t? The U12t is more of a reference monitor, unlike the Nio which is warmer and fuller. So the U12t will of course sound less 'congested' when listening in sequence with the Hero and Odin. In fact the U12t and Nio are very complementary because they're tuned so differently. Would be interesting to hear where Hero sits on the Nio/U12t spectrum.

The one thing holding me back from buying into a DD hybrid like Hero is the lack of pressure relief. The main reason I stick with 64 Audio is Apex. Just the fact that you're getting driver flex in IEMs like Hero and Odin demonstrates very practically what pressure your eardrums are under without some pressure equalising system.

Then again I have mild tinnitus and listen at decent volume (around 80dB-85dB), so YMMV.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #24,039 of 40,577
Thanks, that's helpful. How so with the U12t? The U12t is more of a reference monitor, unlike the Nio which is warmer and fuller. So the U12t will of course sound less 'congested' when listening in sequence with the Hero and Odin. In fact the U12t and Nio are very complementary because they're tuned so differently. Would be interesting to hear where Hero sits on the Nio/U12t spectrum.

The one thing holding me back from buying into a DD hybrid like Hero is the lack of pressure relief. The main reason I stick with 64 Audio is Apex. Just the fact that you're getting driver flex in IEMs like Hero and Odin demonstrates very practically what pressure your eardrums are under without some pressure equalising system.

Then again I have mild tinnitus and listen at decent volume (around 80dB-85dB), so YMMV.

not going to lie but I had a slight worry about pressure relief as well - but after 5 hours of listening to Hero + Legend X, never had I once felt any discomfort.

With the U12T I felt slight discomfort if I pushed it in too much - but thats not pressure issue, more so the shape maybe?

As for driver flex - my local shop let take home the EE Bravado and it had quite a bit of driver flex but I have not really noticed it too much on the Hero and Legend X. It may have to do with how I insert the the EE IEM now. I kinda 'yawn' and slowly put the IEM in then close my mouth to ensure a proper seal. I do notice if I just cram it in there is more driver flex.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #24,040 of 40,577
not going to lie but I had a slight worry about pressure relief as well - but after 5 hours of listening to Hero + Legend X, never had I once felt any discomfort.

With the U12T I felt slight discomfort if I pushed it in too much - but thats not pressure issue, more so the shape maybe?

As for driver flex - my local shop let take home the EE Bravado and it had quite a bit of driver flex but I have not really noticed it too much on the Hero and Legend X. It may have to do with how I insert the the EE IEM now. I kinda 'yawn' and slowly put the IEM in then close my mouth to ensure a proper seal. I do notice if I just cram it in there is more driver flex.
Would you say the U12t is a deeper insert than the Hero? That could be why. Also you won't really notice the pressure after a single listen (unless you're listening really loud), it's more a gradual thing that can affect your hearing. You'll notice it more if you have tinnitus - so if your ears are lightly ringing after a session, I'd be very careful.

Can you do a comparison between Hero and U12t please? You wrote well, and I'd be interested in how they differ or where they are similar (particularly bass response, vocals, treble energy and detail/resolution). Also soundstage (width/depth).

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #24,041 of 40,577
they are different yet similar.. in a sense?

im not too good with audiophile terms / reviewing

but on some tracks the Legend X shines more than the Hero and vice versa.

Overall though - I would base my decision on Legend X vs Hero on 2 factors
1) If I had to choose Legend X or Hero and only keep 1, what would be my other IEM?
If Odin, I would keep the Hero.
If U12T, I would keep the Legend X.

2) If i could only keep 1 iem which would I choose and why?
Sound preference towards technicalities - Legend X
Sound preference towards more fun and dynamic - Hero

This is really helpful and what I was expecting in my mind. Thanks for clarifying.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #24,042 of 40,577
Been off the net for a bit as I have to tend to my wife and daughter as they both recover from medical issues. Been listening to a lot more music. I can't even do a proper review on the Odin now that they are full burned in. What the heck can I say that's not always been said? I can't even critically listen more than a few minutes as I get too drawn into whatever I'm listening to. These are game changers for me. I also own some decent cans and even though they 'sound' different and usually much better than IEM's for physical reasons, I only reach for my Odin's now. Part of it is the comfort level, but they are just more engaging and fun than my headphones. They are just the most balanced headphone/IEM's that I have ever heard. There are a few headphones that I love to listen to like Kennerton, Meze, Stax and Dan Clark Voce and of course my ZMF Odin's with special cups. They all offer different things that I love. That said, the Odin's are just so easy and awesome for 5 hour plus sessions. I was so scared to get an IEM over a CIEM, which is what my Phantom's were, but they are comfy.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #24,043 of 40,577
20200822_195435-2.jpg

You absolutely need this cable to unleash the true potential of the Odin

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Aug 22, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #24,045 of 40,577
20200822_195435-2.jpg
You absolutely need this cable to unleash the true potential of the Odin
Lol. What is that thing? Looks like a rainbow threw up on a Nordost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back