Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 16, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #23,582 of 40,723
I think in order to generate a negative review of something like the Odin, you’d have to pretty much base it entirely on it “having bad value because it’s expensive”

The trouble is that of all the subjective traits that IEMs possess, I see value being as the most subjective one of them all, because that part is as 100% individual as it gets - to illustrate with an example:

I find my Thummim, A18S and Elysium to be 100% of the theoretical performance level as I love each one for what it does and I wouldn’t really want anything changed about them

Now, let’s say some company releases a 1000$ IEM that’s 90 or 95% of my theoretical performance level - to me buying something like that has proven to have much less value than investing in yet another flagship, because it simply doesn’t stack up against my collection - I sold my EVE20, as well as my Phantom and a bunch of other mid tiers despite them being excellent IEMs- they simply don’t stack up against the well executed TOTLs on the market as far as my listening experience and enjoyment go

The most value for you would be to buy something in 3 years from now that is actually an upgrade from what you have.

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #23,584 of 40,723
For those who can never afford or want to pay for the Odin, you need to hear the Hero based on what @Jack Vang has shared and what others on this board has shared about it. I literally just saw Jude's and @Jack Vang launch video. They call the Hero the Odin Jr. Seems like that's the case based on what you guys have been sharing. That's pretty much game changing territory to me. The mk II's will be significant upgrades too as this new W9+ driver is amazing with it's tight, tuneful and DEEP tuning. It does things to clean up the bass so that bassheads will love it as will audiophiles.

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #23,585 of 40,723
The most value for you would be to buy something in 3 years from now that is actually an upgrade from what you have.
Well you got me there, but honestly I’ve fully accepted I’m way past value and I’m just vacuuming everything this industry is producing

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #23,586 of 40,723
A 2-channel guy selling his vinyl? Sacrilege. I think you might be making a mistake. High End Vinyl is still tops I’m my book. The tech does not change much so you can dive in and keep it for 10’s of years without it being outdated.
Richard Vandersteen is great. Have you ever listened to Rockport and Magico as well? Also top notch. Keep the reviews coming!

I just need the space and I can't use a vinyl rig anymore with the MS. My server is the best in the world. I've heard nearly all the 30k plus servers and they just aren't as good. I can honestly say that when playing high res, well recorded music, you can barely tell it's digital. The bass is much better than vinyl too believe it or not. They figured out how to lower all three jitters to imperceptible.

Notice the Basis table. That's why I owned and sold last year to a friend in WA/CA. I knew AJ. He's was in NH and just a great guy. He gave me a power cord that he made adn it was my first high end cord. Amazing stuff. I loved and miss talking to him about his designs and as well as other's designs. RIP AJ.

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #23,587 of 40,723
How many units does he have? If quantity is limited let me know too so I can avoid that day lol
Waiting till he's sold out to drop in for the demo. He know's I've been interested in the Odin but he also knows that I don't preorder stuff after Valk was a flop for me.

I was honestly almost gonna get one but I was able to CONTROL myself lmao
He sold 2 of the 4 he had beside the demo in one day lol
So he only has 2 left. It won't be until another 6 weeks until the next batch comes in.
So that should be enough time for me to keep on bugging Charles to let me try them a lot just like with the Wraith haha
I think you're safe!
I would say wait for the MKII to arrive before deciding. There are probably 3 of us planning on doing a visit to hfs/meetup once I get my latest 2 acquisitions in and neither of us are gonna drop for a Odin anyhow, so non competition.

Did you try the Hero too?

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #23,588 of 40,723
I just need the space and I can't use a vinyl rig anymore with the MS. My server is the best in the world. I've heard nearly all the 30k plus servers and they just aren't as good. I can honestly say that when playing high res, well recorded music, you can barely tell it's digital. The bass is much better than vinyl too believe it or not. They figured out how to lower all three jitters to imperceptible.

Notice the Basis table. That's why I owned and sold last year to a friend in WA/CA. I knew AJ. He's was in NH and just a great guy. He gave me a power cord that he made adn it was my first high end cord. Amazing stuff. I loved and miss talking to him about his designs and as well as other's designs. RIP AJ.
Yeah. I miss AJ as well.

What DAC are you using again? Tks.

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #23,589 of 40,723
Yeah. I miss AJ as well.

What DAC are you using again? Tks.

I was using the Ayre QX5/20 and the Empirical Audio Overdrive SX, Dueland Caps and special isolated ethernet board. I'm friends with both manufactures and love their gear. Laufer Techniq (Sam Laufer) lives near me and used me to voice his gear. He has installed a custom DAC that has a separate box for all the linear power supplies for every part of the server/DAC, headphone amp and analog pre amp as Richard is going to get me a pair of his new mono blocks. They will be the upgraded ones with brand new caps that he likes more than Stealth Caps. I get the pair that at the reviewers at The Absolute Sound and a couple of others have been using. I can't wait. He upgrades the unit nearly every other month. Always upgraded sounds. I'm now going to ask him to build a new group of LPS's for the headphone amp. I'll let him put a 2.5mm balanced in this time.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #23,590 of 40,723
I was using the Ayre QX5/20 and the Empirical Audio Overdrive SX, Dueland Caps and special isolated ethernet board. I'm friends with both manufactures and love their gear. Laufer Techniq (Sam Laufer) lives near me and used me to voice his gear. He has installed a custom DAC that has a separate box for all the linear power supplies for every part of the server/DAC, headphone amp and analog pre amp as Richard is going to get me a pair of his new mono blocks. They will be the upgraded ones with brand new caps that he likes more than Stealth Caps. I get the pair that at the reviewers at The Absolute Sound and a couple of others have been using. I can't wait. He upgrades the unit nearly every other month. Always upgraded sounds. I'm now going to ask him to build a new group of LPS's for the headphone amp. I'll let him put a 2.5mm balanced in this time.
I may have to PM you on some of this stuff if I get serious about an upgrade. I have been thinking about a new DAC, but have been spending on my IEM’s. Tks.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #23,591 of 40,723
here is some old school funk to test those w9s on your odins

quite possibly , the greatest funk album of the 70s....(full album in the link , press the FF button to proceed to th next track)

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #23,592 of 40,723
I'm a custom buyer because tips don't work in my oval ear canals. To use universals, I have to use custom silicone tips, and those require a lip on the IEM nozzle. So, even if I wanted to buy the Odin, there would be no way for me to use it. Lipped nozzles just make sense, IMO.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #23,593 of 40,723
I'm a custom buyer because tips don't work in my oval ear canals. To use universals, I have to use custom silicone tips, and those require a lip on the IEM nozzle. So, even if I wanted to buy the Odin, there would be no way for me to use it. Lipped nozzles just make sense, IMO.

Have you tried the Xelastec tips yet. I don’t have fit issues generally but have had trouble with some iems and tips. I ask because these seem to be a bit stiff at first but when they warm up they seem to mould to shape. Took mine out the other night after prolonged listening and they were oval.! They held that snap for a while but then went back to round by the next time I used them. I thought it odd until I read your comment.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #23,594 of 40,723
I've started doing some cable rolling with the Odin, and I think I'll be ditching the stock PW cable in favour of an Effect Audio Leo II. The 1960s does something weird to the upper mids/lower treble region, making vocals & instruments in that region sound a little bit off and dry (it's something I've noticed on my own PW 1960s 4-wire with other IEMs too) but the Leo II fixes that and adds some much needed body and note-weight. Really liking this pair up :)
5D04D13B-9353-4376-B7CE-1784C73A9F13.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #23,595 of 40,723
Waiting till he's sold out to drop in for the demo. He know's I've been interested in the Odin but he also knows that I don't preorder stuff after Valk was a flop for me.

I would say wait for the MKII to arrive before deciding. There are probably 3 of us planning on doing a visit to hfs/meetup once I get my latest 2 acquisitions in and neither of us are gonna drop for a Odin anyhow, so non competition.

Did you try the Hero too?
Yup, I've tried the Hero as well. I'm currently finishing my impressions of both the Hero and the Odin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back