Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 5, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #22,876 of 40,675
I have a question, for those that are buying one of the 200 Founders’ Edition, how is EE going to handle the serial number distribution?

@Jack Vang, just wondered about the above ...

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #22,877 of 40,675
If you are looking to buy something (DAP, iems, cable, etc), I find it best to read several reviewers, read people's posts who have the thing(s) you are interested in, find out what kind of music is being played through them, maybe pm a few people to ask more questions, and then if you blind buy you have done your due diligence. The more you understand people's preferences and subtleties (some people don't always say out loud what they are thinking and you have to read between the lines) the closer you can get to the subjective "truth" about what you are interested in. I took half a year of reading and pm'ing before I blind bought the Zeus. With the 1960 it took a month. Years earlier, I bought an 846 even though a member suggested it might not be right for me (just one person, but, it turned out, the right person) and it wasn't. Twister writes good reviews. The Odin's was especially complex and detailed. Hat's off to him.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #22,878 of 40,675
If you are looking to buy something (DAP, iems, cable, etc), I find it best to read several reviewers, read people's posts who have the thing(s) you are interested in, find out what kind of music is being played through them, maybe pm a few people to ask more questions, and then if you blind buy you have done your due diligence. The more you understand people's preferences and subtleties (some people don't always say out loud what they are thinking and you have to read between the lines) the closer you can get to the subjective "truth" about what you are interested in. I took half a year of reading and pm'ing before I blind bought the Zeus. With the 1960 it took a month. Years earlier, I bought an 846 even though a member suggested it might not be right for me (just one person, but, it turned out, the right person) and it wasn't. Twister writes good reviews. The Odin's was especially complex and detailed. Hat's off to him.

This is how I bought all my audio "stuff". I get criticized for taking so long to make a decision, but I have not had to sell anything, because I did not like it. Due diligence and patience is a good thing.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #22,879 of 40,675
I like the look of the Hero. Hopefully Bravado bass but with some more treble and detail, something the Bravado is a little short on.

Aug 5, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #22,881 of 40,675
Well, this is head-fi, so I guess I should take it as a complement? :p

I get it, people no longer want neutral reviews, they want personal opinions with a reviewer preference. Ironically, I offered my personal critical opinion in both Legend X and Wraith reviews, even suggested EQ setting to "correct" the sound to my personal preference. The reaction was "well, maybe you don't like that much bass, but we do" and "well, too bad you are listening to regular daps and don't use more powerful sources".

Thus, I personally choose not to offer my opinion of what I like or don't like in the reviews. And you will never find in my reviews "omg, this is the best thing ever, you have to buy it!" never encouraging a blind buy. And you will never see "awards" in my reviews. I try to be informative, detailed, write something that is fun to read and easy to follow, and describe the sound as I hear it. Then, let you guys read and decide if this is the sound you want, if it appeals to you and your wallet.

I actually talked to Crin a few days ago. And I do like to read his articles as well. And I think it is great that we have different reviews and opinions from a different perspective on audio gear. As I mentioned before, in order to paint the full review picture, you need as many data points as you can get to connect all the dots!

Peace and love guys/gals and enjoy the music!
To provide a different opinion. I love your reviews, but I do encourage you to both let us know your favs as well as setting tiers. You may not like something the best as it may not suit your taste, but you do realize why it may still be a top IEM. You can then explain and still put it in the top tier. If folks disagree, welcome to audio.

Anyway, please keep them coming as you explain the sound well, and your reviews provide a nice diversion from the daily grind. Tks.

Aug 5, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #22,884 of 40,675
I believe it is not very polite to say something like this. You have your opinion - keep it to yourself)
Disagree completely. This is a discussion forum and there is no discussion to be had if everyone has the same opinion and all you have is group think. Especially in something so subjective as audio, everyone should feel free to express their opinions, even if they are counter to your own. Deserved or not, it's true that a lot of the popular review sites/YouTubers in this hobby come across as being shills. I think it's natural to believe so because of the construct. Most of the big reviewers get free product from manufacturers to review, which gives the perception they need to keep the positive reviews coming or they otherwise risk the pipeline of free product, and therefore content for their sites/channels, drying up. It gives the perception that reviewers and manufacturers are in bed together. Note: this is a general statement and not directed at Alex/Twister6 at all. Like others have stated, 10+ years in this hobby and I know to just take each review/impression as a single point of data (and truth be told I like his style a lot because it doesn't sound like all fluff and nonsense audiophile terminology and he actually calls out what music he listened to form his opinion).

Credit to Alex for offering a thoughtful and thorough response to the critique. I think it's great he shared that feedback he received when he pointed out parts of products he didn't like and he received a little flack for it from readers because I could understand how that would steer him towards focusing on what he perceives to be the facts versus adding his personal opinion. I would counter and say personal opinion is what makes the audience more loyal. Crinacle was used as an example and I'd agree there. As a reader, he shares his opinions based on his personal preference and you know if your tastes are aligned with his, it can be a great tool in your decision-making. So Alex if I know you and I enjoy the same signature and music, I can feel confident things you like I will like, and that will increase my loyalty as a reader. When it's strictly the facts on pros and cons, sometimes I still don't really know at the end of the day if I'll like it. Another poster said you could do both and I think that would be interesting to see.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #22,885 of 40,675
To provide a different opinion. I love your reviews, but I do encourage you to both let us know your favs as well as setting tiers. You may not like something the best as it may not suit your taste, but you do realize why it may still be a top IEM. You can then explain and still put it in the top tier. If folks disagree, welcome to audio.

Anyway, please keep them coming as you explain the sound well, and your reviews provide a nice diversion from the daily grind. Tks.
There have been some very interesting discussions in the past about the use of tiers or scoring. Personally, I am of the opinion that it makes most sense in a one time "shootout" (or whatever you want to call it) type of format with clearly predefined criteria, rather than lists that are continually updated. The great advantage of the shootout format is that you are directly comparing IEMs to one another in accordance with the predefined criteria, which means the scoring is consistently applied across all IEMs. The main downside of it is that it is an incredible amount of work even with a relatively small number of IEMs. Continually updated rankings have the advantage in that they make it possible to get a global overview of a large number of IEMs. The main downside though is that the comparisons are not as rigorous because you can't compare that many IEMs directly to each other each time a new one is added, which means you would have to go by memory or old notes and that introduces an element variation in the application of any criteria that were initially set. To me (again, just my opinion) that variation is undesirable if I am to give a score or a rank to IEMs because that number would imply a level of exactness that is not really there. Of course I am being very picky here and it does not mean that rankings or tiers aren't useful, it is just to add some nuance.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #22,887 of 40,675
Well if there's any info in the video that hasn't been posted in the thread... maybe things regarding sound signature changes to the MkII models or if there's and further info about Hero or Odin

Actually nothing special in this video,All the information you can find here,no in-depth in this video

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #22,888 of 40,675
Still not clear to me what the bass levels on Hero will be like (sounds like quality is excellent though). If it is a mini-Odin, I'd expect it to be less than the Legend X, but how does it compare to the others in the X lineup, like Nemesis, Vantage, Valkyrie, and Bravado?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back